How long before you have to register kids in school!

Dawny

Once a child is over 6 anywhere in Australia then they are legally obliged to be in full time education. However, I dont think anyone would quibble if you were to take a month getting yourself settled. I think they would begin to be a bit antsy if you took more than a term, especially if the child was older. However given the pathetic powers that Departments of Education actually have, I doubt anything would happen to you if you kept them out for a year especially if you didnt tell anyone.

I wouldnt panic about it, take as long as you need to get settled.

Once a child is over 6 anywhere in Australia then they are legally obliged to be in full time education. However, I dont think anyone would quibble if you were to take a month getting yourself settled. I think they would begin to be a bit antsy if you took more than a term, especially if the child was older. However given the pathetic powers that Departments of Education actually have, I doubt anything would happen to you if you kept them out for a year especially if you didnt tell anyone.

I wouldnt panic about it, take as long as you need to get settled.

Thank you, that has helped, was unsure if you had to register them asap once settled, but then there is always the question regarding rentals and catchment areas etc, thanks again

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

When we first arrived it took me 2 months to get my son in to school because the school had no idea which class to put him in. I wouldn't worry at all you will see lots of children around town during school hours and this is usually ebcause they are here on holiday, it isn't like the UK where they will stop you in the street and ask why your child is out of school.

Hi Dawny

Our plan before the reality of selling the house hit us was to head to oz in july after the 2009 school year finished here..The australia school year runs from end of jan to dec. We were going to use those months between july and jan to get the kids familiar with the area and sort our selves out. As they had completed a full year here technically they would not be missing school. They would then start at the begining of the oz school year in their new year level...did that make any sense???

I plan to home school them a little just to keep their little brains ticking over you can get all sorts of work books etc and they love to do them. Thats hopefully our plan not sure how close you are to going but may also wjork for you.

Guest nikki6999

My kids finished school in Ireland end of June 08, we arrived Brisbane July 08 and I let them have over 5 months off school and start a fresh in Jan 09, its there first week at school this week! I only registered them start of December and we do not live in the catchment area for the school they are attending, the school currently has 950 students, they only use the cathment rule when there number hit the catchment level of 1200, thats when they only accept students from the area.

It was a huge move for us all, so I didnt want to stick them in school part way through,

I felt it would be better to allow them to settle and start a new year from the Aussie school year in Jan...

Many thanks for all your replies, Hard to decide when is the best time to up and leave to settle in oz, My eldest is due to start year 7 in september, So its hard to work out term times in oz,

Many thanks again.

Dawn:smile:

Hi Dawny

the school year has now started in oz (sister is a teacher in cairns Queensland) so most schools will now know how many students they have etc..if you know which state you are going to you can go on the the government education web sites and if you know roughly which area you want to live you can email the head teachers of any schools you are interested in. we have done this. it does seem though that they may not automatically go into the year we expect...our oldest is possibly going to go back and repeat year 3...as she is an august baby she started very young so we are not overly bother....they must do some type of assessment. It will vary from state to state though. hope that helps

Archived