Visa granted! What now???

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

We had our visa granted just before Xmas but we now realise that we were concentrating so much on actually getting the visa that we haven't really thought about the getting to Australia part yet....

What are the next steps? How did you get on once you actually got your visa?

We have sent off the passports to get the visa labels put in but have realised there are all the tax implications, arranging for stuff to be shipped, trying to get the money together and set up Aus accounts etc... We will need medical insurance and stuff like that too won't we???

Sorry for such a general question but I really would like to hear from you on what you had to do and how much it all cost you... We are really struggling for money now due to the economic problems in UK as I am sure everyone else here is too so any advice would be amazing...

Thanks... I am having nightmares every night now - how sad...:arghh:

Guest JoanneHattersley

FIrstly............CONGRATS!

Now make lists. You will live by lists. The do this, do that!!!

Good Luck! Give us a bit more info on where u heading and what u wanna know about costs out here and we will all try and help

Congratulations on the visa, following the book, you should now be running around like a headless chicken , stressing so much your getting very little done !! lol, sound familiar?

First thing i would do is, if you have a house to sell get it on the market,

Have a think about what you are going to bring here with you and what your leaving/selling there,then call a few shippers for quotes and slowly start to de-clutter.

You can open a bank account on-line with many big name Australian banks , we went with ANZ and have had no problems with them.Westpac and Commonwealth are other popular choices.

Are you going to have a leaving party? if so you may need to book a venue.

Sit down and have a good think about timescale,if you can narrow down a date for leaving ,have a look at flights, hire cars and arrival accommodation.

Good Luck with everything , there is loads to do and people will add to what ive mentioned but at least i've given you enough to keep you occupied for a few hours,lol.

Cal x

p.s

Australia and New Zealand Magazine normally have a pretty good checklist inside, might be worth picking up a copy at WHS.

As Cal and Jo say ... start making lists. Your visa when it comes back will tell you when you have to make your initial entry into Aus by - which will give you the time scale your'e working to and you'll need to book your flights.

Guest littlesarah

Hi guys

My visa was granted in December, but I'd already started touting most of our furniture before that! So far we're left with a couple of beds & a few other bits & pieces.

OH has finally realised that he needs to sort out his stuff, & yesterday began hassling me about the boxes in the loft! Now that we've agreed a sale on the house, we can get them down & have a sort out. Then I'll get the shippers round for quotes.

We hope to leave in June, but hope to move out of our house in April, so I'm thinking maybe we should get the stuff shipped to Aus when we move out? Not sure what to do about that yet...

I too belong in the 'never without a list' club!

Best wishes

Sarah

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi! I just wanted to congratulate you on the visa!!! :yes:

Lots of Luck with all of your plans...!!! :smile:

Dan :-)

Archived