rule brittania

chippy2

:biglaugh:been here 4 months,enough said moving back god save the queen yeah its raining poeple would rather look away than talk to you but end of the day its home?liked our time here in brisbane but after applying for wot seems like a million jobs even thoug they are on the australian critical skills list(dont know where the critical come from)had enough,know the uk is in a recession but this place i feel is just starting and have more oppotunities back home am a fully qualified carpenter/joiner but this place looks after its own and us poms have no chance?so if anyone is reading this whos on there way out i would say look in to it very much because there is no jobs unless you want to work for crap money and be treated the same.this mainly goes out to familes like myself who have spent thousands of pounds and learnt the hard way now its time to ship all my furniture and tools back glad i didnt unpack most of them,by the way if anyone interested iam selling a mitsubishi 380 in mint condition for 15000.cant wait to get a pint of carling when i get home wash this bad taste out of my mouth from all the dramas i have encounted here:jiggy:

Guest Working to fish

Wish you luck back in the uk ,also am a carpenter,joiner,we have been here 12moths and yes it getting tough on the job front here ,hope you do better in the uk.

eddie:yes:

Cant really blame them for putting the own 1st ,on the job front that is.:wideeyed:

Guest donovan

Sorry things have not worked out for you, but at least you tried, hope things work out for you when you return to the UK.

Sarah x

I am really sorry that thongs haven't worked out for you and that you feel you have to move back. But you have to do what's right for you and your family. Although I think 4 months isn't very long, I can understand that funds may be drying up by now!

Was it just the job situation that has led to this decision or are there other things which have left you disappointed?

If it is just the job situation, I think it might be worth looking into getting one of the badly paid jobs for a while. You would be earning something, at least. And in the meantime you will be building on your Australian work experience which will be all the more valuable to you when applying for a better job later. It's possibly true that they will choose their own over an "un-tested" foreigner. But as you build on your Aussie experience and gather decent Aussie references you should be able to get better jobs.

Just my opinion.:wink:

to earslwood and buddysmum it was only part of the reason to leave was the job front and not homesick as such,find the place expensive spent thousand english in 4 months car/rent/food/plasmas well the last one was for me.dont know why,the telly is that crap have always got kids dvd on instead.looked at doing lower paid job but would still be living off savings still got money in bank plenty to restart back home but if i stay it will just go down.read the thread regarding people coming over with small amounts and cant understand how they survive so some advice to people coming over need to do your homework.another reason is wife expecting no 4 (told you nothing good on telly).but also with the job front as a fully qualified carpenter/joiner on good money i would still be on same money as a postman?and you dont need a licence to be a postman but then again bet you do.know the uk is in recession but the good times will come back and with been able to make more money would have still gone back then.good old england we have all moaned about it thats why where here but know where you stand with eveything so as i say to eveyone that says 4 months isnt long enough it is know people who go home after 4 weeks.as for relocateing have family in adelaide and cairns,but work situation is still the same lets blame it all on the yanks for there banking systems which has caused all this recession in the first place:Randy-git:

Guest MariAndyok

Sorry to hear your story, especially as I am here without a job at the moment but only been here a week. Good luck back in blighty.

Can you PM mewith age of your car and mileage I may be interested if i find out what it looks like.

All the best

Andy

Sorry to hear your story but I have always wondered why we are supposed to have such shortages of skilled labour, as I have said before the shortages are in places Aus do not want to work I think.

The construction industry here is and has always been difficult. Carpenters, joiners, brickies etc usually work for themselves and contract out to the large builders. They then do a few small developments themselves to make cash. When I worked I have a few builder clients who did that and did very well. Its is a what you know who you know industry too. Our local pub on Friday afternoon is where the tradies hang out and get work and get to know one another.

Good luck on your return to the UK

Guest spottymercedes

Sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out as you had hoped for. Things were quite different for us to than we imagined, but we are getting along ok now although the work situation could be better.

Hope all goes well back in the uk for you and your family. Hopefully you'll be able to use your savings and pick up a cheaper house back there now, then at least for you your story will come good at the end.

Good luck with your move back. I have to agree though, work situation is very difficult at the moment. The work is just not there - tradies are struggling big time to keep their heads above water - thanks for being honest and good luck.

I hope you aint going to be one of the many people who goes home after a few months then regret it big time! We've seen loads on here.

As for the job front.... it's like that all over aus, and not just for chippies. I think it's been a bit of bad timing for you there unfortunately. Also, i've heard people say that Brissie isn't the easiest place to find work - have you considered a different state?

Good luck!

Guest brooksey

Good luck mate. As a carpenter over here same as you for 4 months i've found no work and niether have a couple of others i know. If the work situation was better in England i think i'd be getting tempted back. My wife wouldn't go though so it would just be for a few months to make money and come back again.

Have a pint of Carling or 20 for me as i am considering turning to gin over here instead of the rat p**s the Ozzies call beer.

Good luck mate. As a carpenter over here same as you for 4 months i've found no work and niether have a couple of others i know. If the work situation was better in England i think i'd be getting tempted back. My wife wouldn't go though so it would just be for a few months to make money and come back again.

Have a pint of Carling or 20 for me as i am considering turning to gin over here instead of the rat p**s the Ozzies call beer.

cheers mate will have one for you or more,heard work back home is in scotland and holland at the moment,just cant keep sitting on my arse too use to doing something so set a goal to go back next thing get emails saying someones looking at one of my cv,someone probably taking the piss:arghh:

Guest Working to fish
cheers mate will have one for you or more,heard work back home is in scotland and holland at the moment,just cant keep sitting on my arse too use to doing something so set a goal to go back next thing get emails saying someones looking at one of my cv,someone probably taking the piss:arghh:

It will be sods law mate ,soon as you buy your plane ticket ,some sod will have work for you.

Good luck if you can stay here ,also like i said before good luck if you go back.

Am sure some thing will turn up here ,well thats what i am telling myself.

eddie

Looking into going it on my own at the mo.:confused:

It will be sods law mate ,soon as you buy your plane ticket ,some sod will have work for you.

Good luck if you can stay here ,also like i said before good luck if you go back.

Am sure some thing will turn up here ,well thats what i am telling myself.

eddie

Looking into going it on my own at the mo.:confused:

yeah i know that myself irony wot a word,wish you good luck if you go it alone but dont you need a licence like you do for eveything,or have you jumped that hurdle already would have liked to get the licence myself but you need a job first and wot a struggle thats been.but as i said take my hat off to you and wish you all the best:spinny:

Guest brooksey

I'm just about to get assessed for my carpenters licence. I've done the 2 day buisenes course already with FMB and been told if i don't have work they will look at my refrencess and photos instead and maybee email some people in uk to inquire about the quality of my work.

your not a bad judge had 3 months in sunshine coast 3months ago im a brickie never been out of work in 25 years work situation out there very poor and money to match aus not for me everone talks about the lifestyle the lifestyle the lifestyle is the sunshine thats all glad to be home a

Guest earlswood
I hope you aint going to be one of the many people who goes home after a few months then regret it big time! We've seen loads on here.

As for the job front.... it's like that all over aus, and not just for chippies. I think it's been a bit of bad timing for you there unfortunately. Also, i've heard people say that Brissie isn't the easiest place to find work - have you considered a different state?

Good luck!

Plenty go back and are very happy as well:biggrin:....the peoplel who go back are ping-pongers who will go back to Oz and want to come home again after 6 months.

Guest earlswood

:laugh: you noticed that also mate.

Queensland has been the worst for unemployment for many decades, if you move to Oz do not go to Qld. I t's a dump anyway and the laughing stock to the rest of Australia

Archived