Fao earlswood and all others ( a balanced view )

bunbury61

Earlswood , just been reading some of your posts . I live in Solihull ,so i know our area very well, and yes Warwickshire and Worcestershire , and most areas in the Uk,on a cold , sunny morning cannot be surpassed anywhere.

By the way i lived in Oz for 6 years ,so i can give a balanced opinion.

I left Oz ,not because of home sickness, or a dislike of the Aussies( i have more genuine Aussie mates , than pommie ones,it was out of duty to my parents .

Iam the youngest son , both my brothers are in Oz, so guilt set in , when my daughter was born.........dont ask.

A balanced opinion , i could live in either place .......but in the UK ,you need money.

Lots of it , and long term , i hate to say it , there is no future here ,if you have children.

What the UK government isnt telling us is , that the country is broke , skint, just like the good old USA.

We dont make anything anymore, so we borrow to get out the mire.The Aussie govt to their credit has run a far more conservative lending policy, and they have mineral wealth in the ground which is being exploited by Asia, otherwise they too could not compete.

On a local level ,the shops are still full , but whos buying? we have had a great run here in the UK , big money ....but its over.

I have mates who have had work coming out their ears for the last 15 years , but they are scratching now......thats why wetherspoons are offering beer @ 99p a pint.

Good post but the Chinese are sufferin with the global cold and its gettin worse, the mine companies are gettin twitchy sphincter muscles, the knock on effect will have a domino effect because manufacturing in oz is nearly non existant, our beijing mates sort all that out . I love it here but the ship is going to have a heavy storm to sail through

Mally

How can you say a Country has no future....it is a silly statement and grossley unfair to the people living there...what if I statrted a thread "Australia has no future" say no more:biglaugh:

Its very easy to say that the UK has no future.... because it hasn't.

Wealth, TRUE WEALTH comes from one of two places, Natural Resources and Manufacturing, everything else is just a means of shuffling the wealth of others from point A to point B.

Th UK no longer exploits it mineral resources, and any still going are being consumed at an alarming rate.

Our balance of trade in the UK is shocking, exports represent wealth coming into a country, imports represent wealth leaving the country.... the UK is no longer an exporter of anything but people, we import everything and the rest of the world is getting rich off of our backs.

Wealth, TRUE WEALTH comes from one of two places, Natural Resources and Manufacturing, everything else is just a means of shuffling the wealth of others from point A to point B.

Th UK no longer exploits it mineral resources, and any still going are being consumed at an alarming rate.

Our balance of trade in the UK is shocking, exports represent wealth coming into a country, imports represent wealth leaving the country.... the UK is no longer an exporter of anything but people, we import everything and the rest of the world is getting rich off of our backs.

Well said phoenix ,for to long we in the U.S and U.k have been fooled by the smoke and mirrors policy of the money men.

As regards the U.S ....THEY ARE BROKE .......they consume 40% of the worlds products ,but they dont make anything.

They are a house built on shifting sand , and Obama is going to take them further down.

Let me ask the question ,where are Gordon Brown and Barack Obama going to fund this multi billion dollar recovery from ?

For all intelligent people reading this post - go to youtube and type in Peter Schiff.

Well said phoenix ,for to long we in the U.S and U.k have been fooled by the smoke and mirrors policy of the money men.

As regards the U.S ....THEY ARE BROKE .......they consume 40% of the worlds products ,but they dont make anything.

They are a house built on shifting sand , and Obama is going to take them further down.

Let me ask the question ,where are Gordon Brown and Barack Obama going to fund this multi billion dollar recovery from ?

For all intelligent people reading this post - go to youtube and type in Peter Schiff.

I think your both very right, it worrys me. Australia is not ammune to this either but does have a mapped route out. The UK, western Europe and the US needs to re-invent them selfs.

This reccesion could do some good as well don't ask me how but we as a nation need to be posative.

John

Guest earlswood
Its going to be overcast for a long time in UK. Just have a read of the forecasts for the high street and the economy.

Australia is going into recession big time as well kernow.

Australia is going into recession big time as well kernow.

Yes, the whole world is going into recession, but its going to hurt the UK a lot more.

You see without Manufacturing and Mineral resources the UK has still had economic growth, and that growth has been based upon services and more critically financial services.

So with a world recession based upon a collapse of the financial services industry where do you think the pain is going to be?

Manufacturing and natural resource economies are still going to suffer, but that's only a third party pain, they suffer because there is less 'money' about the place, and I say 'money' in inverted commas because the vast majority of money is an illusion created by the financial services industry, its not really money, its actually debt.

Money is one of those things that cleanly divides people in two, there are those who think it represents something of 'actual' value (usually that will say gold), and those who realise what a complete house of cards the whole concept of money is, and hope and pray that the the smoke and mirrors continue to function.

As the Australan unions have been banging on for ages " what manufacturing " and they are right everything in australia is imported 99% from China who own are about to own most of the resources. Wa iron ore , coal , nickel, aluminium , most metals available where is the steel industry all the resources and infrastructure is there but no manufacturing let mthe chinese and asians make it I work for a steel stockholders and the steel comes from mainly singapore ,china, korea, even spain and the uk but no australian steel . You go round target or other retailers a game for the kids find something not made in china will kep em occupied for ages..

Mally

Guest earlswood

The experts say the recession could last 3 years worst case scenario…….big deal…. Aint seen no recession where I live…the pubs are still full at weekends and the supermarkets are always heaving.

The experts say the recession could last 3 years worst case scenario…….big deal…. Aint seen no recession where I live…the pubs are still full at weekends and the supermarkets are always heaving.

That's because Gordon Brown has pulled off another of his conjuring tricks, he's made the effects of the recession all but vanish, but just like when David Copperfield makes a baby Elephant vanish, we all know that the Elephant still exists somewhere, we just cant see it, and this particular elephant has been magicked into the future, unfortunately in the future the elephant is no longer gonna be a cute baby elephant, but a huge angry bull elephant tusks and all, but by this time Gordon Copperfield is now Lord Gordon Copperfield, and it will be everyone else left to foot the bill, so Enjoy your non recession whilst it lasts, but you may like to make a point of leaving the country before Dumbo come home to roost.

Guest prettyinpink

I know from first hand experience that the exports out of Perth at the mo are far more than the imports into it, although I can't comment of the other major cities in Oz, I would say that is encouraging.

I'm not sure it's fair to generalise the economic climate for all states, as they do seem to differ expecially eastern and western.

I could be mistaken, but although I see change in petrol prices and food to some degree in WA, it doesn't feel like the 'cold' is biting much over here.

Is that the same for other states?

In the UK, major players are closing their doors; Woolworths (not connected to the Oz one), Adams, MFI, Waterford/Wedgewood and now Marks and Spencer.

The UK is gonna have to dig real deep to weather this particular storm, and Gordon Brown has done absolutely nothing but make false promises.

In my opinion, for those who are willing to work, Australia can offer you more right now.

However, that is just my personal opinion.

Guest Guest9973
I know from first hand experience that the exports out of Perth at the mo are far more than the imports into it, although I can't comment of the other major cities in Oz, I would say that is encouraging.

I'm not sure it's fair to generalise the economic climate for all states, as they do seem to differ expecially eastern and western.

I could be mistaken, but although I see change in petrol prices and food to some degree in WA, it doesn't feel like the 'cold' is biting much over here.

In the UK, major players are closing their doors; Woolworths (not connected to the Oz one), Adams, MFI, Waterford/Wedgewood and now Marks and Spencer.

The UK is gonna have to dig real deep to weather this particular storm, and Gordon Brown has done absolutely nothing but make false promises.

In my opinion, for those who are willing to work, Australia can offer you more right now.

It's not bad at all in South Australia - a bit of "belt tightening" I reckon (which is sensible).Saying that we have just lost a large contract due to it - but I still admire firms takingaction before the horse leaves the barn!

Cheaper petrol,cheaper interest rates - good time to pay the mortgage down instead of buying that new telly on the chuckie (it's what we did after the high rates in the late 80's - just kept paying the same amount)

I'm semi confident that we will not see the worst here (he says - finger and toes crossed!)

Guest prettyinpink

Before someone jumps on me for incorrect information I just want to clarify a point in my previous post which can read slightly misleading

When a mentioned Marks and Spencer closing their doors, I should have stated that they have laid a large number of staff off. I'm not sure if this will lead to closures.

Hope that's a bit clearer folks. Sorry.

Guest earlswood
That's because Gordon Brown has pulled off another of his conjuring tricks, he's made the effects of the recession all but vanish, but just like when David Copperfield makes a baby Elephant vanish, we all know that the Elephant still exists somewhere, we just cant see it, and this particular elephant has been magicked into the future, unfortunately in the future the elephant is no longer gonna be a cute baby elephant, but a huge angry bull elephant tusks and all, but by this time Gordon Copperfield is now Lord Gordon Copperfield, and it will be everyone else left to foot the bill, so Enjoy your non recession whilst it lasts, but you may like to make a point of leaving the country before Dumbo come home to roost.

Thanks, will take my chances back in the UK.....enjoy the recession in Oz.....it's on it's way...

By Koh Gui Qing - Analysis

http://uk.reuters.com/article/gc06/idUKTRE50616V20090107

SYDNEY (Reuters) 7th Jan 2009 - Australia can no longer escape slipping into its first recession in 18 years this year as unemployment is set to rise more than expected following a surprisingly sharp economic deterioration in the past month.

The weak spots, to name a few, include lower export earnings and slowing business investment, all in all painting a picture so grim some analysts wish to fast forward to recovery in 2010.

Guest prettyinpink

Interesting article Earls, thanks. Although reading it there are a lot of "ifs and buts".

Recession MAY be on it's way, but after a good few years warning of the crisis the UK now finds itself in, I know where I would rather be. The signs were there when Blair was at No 10, and now that Gordon has been there, nothing has changed.

The Uk cut the VAT from 17.5 % to 15%, but how does that stimulate the economy when people are losing their jobs? Can't spend if ya don't have the money.

Energy companies hike their prices up AGAIN (some by 30%) at a time when the UK suffers one of it's coldest winters. Pains me when I speak to my mum on the phone and she's wearing a coat and gloves in the house because she can't afford the heating bills.

I'm glad you're enjoying it there Earls although maybe you should actually do some work and stop enjoying the view over the river lol.

In all seriousness though, fair play to you Earlswood, I hope the UK gives you all the things you hope for, and more than it offered us.

Guest earlswood
Interesting article Earls, thanks. Although reading it there are a lot of "ifs and buts".

Recession MAY be on it's way, but after a good few years warning of the crisis the UK now finds itself in, I know where I would rather be. The signs were there when Blair was at No 10, and now that Gordon has been there, nothing has changed.

The Uk cut the VAT from 17.5 % to 15%, but how does that stimulate the economy when people are losing their jobs? Can't spend if ya don't have the money.

Energy companies hike their prices up AGAIN (some by 30%) at a time when the UK suffers one of it's coldest winters. Pains me when I speak to my mum on the phone and she's wearing a coat and gloves in the house because she can't afford the heating bills.

I'm glad you're enjoying it there Earls although maybe you should actually do some work and stop enjoying the view over the river lol.

In all seriousness though, fair play to you Earlswood, I hope the UK gives you all the things you hope for, and more than it offered us.

And I hope Oz gives you the quality of life that it could not offer me and the Brits that return.

exports oh you mean the few sheep and cattle which thr farmers get poor return on .WA is resource based most industry is based on engineering backing up the mines where there markets are], I have first hand experience that the work is drying up for them , large firms are cutting back on orders and the smaller ones are struggling . China has reduced its iron ore capacity and may do so even further . The mines have cut projects so less resource activity. As the chinese have more than a good foot in the ownership of the mining sector. Exports :biglaugh:

Mally

Guest prettyinpink
exports oh you mean the few sheep and cattle which thr farmers get poor return on .

Mally

Nope I wasn't commenting on sheep and cattle, you can't get them into the ULD's and pallets that get loaded on aircraft every day lol.

My brother's customers include mining companies, but he's busier now than he's ever been.

Exports by the major airlines are significantly more than the imports.

A situation which in the UK, only happened in the early 90's.

I'd say that was encouraging. Some areas may suffer but big picture WA (can't speak for rest of Oz) ain't got it half as bad as UK

And unfortunately it was confirmed last night that Marks and Spencer is closing some shops. So sad for it's employees.

M&S are closing some of their food only stores.

The important thing to remember about M&S food is that they have always catered for the upper/affluent end of the market, buying M&S food has always been seen as a feelgood 'luxury', and when times are tight doing your shopping at Waitrose rather than M&S is an easy compromise to make.

In short this is saying that there is a lot less disposable income where it counts.

Guest Propofol

Australia will be hit by this recession. A lot harder than you think. It's a relatively small economy and population compared to the UK.

It's OK being a manufacturer or provider of raw materials but that means someone has to buy your stuff for you to make money. No money=no purchases and you can't manufacture way out of a recession or mine your way out as these goods will stockpile and the price will fall / stall.

If you are a trader, you get pulled out of the recession quicker as you recover once trade increases. You can't all keep buying Holdens....so all you will do is delay the inevitable. Also, I don't see foreign investment going back to Australia to set up an infrastructure for manufacturing when you can move it to Asia to get it restarted.

The recession is global. You can no more spend your way out of recession than to paraphrase Winston Churchill lift yourself up by the handle whilst standing in the bucket.

Australia will hit be hit later, and harder, and longer than Europe. China will strip you of your assets and that will be it.

Australia will be hit by this recession. A lot harder than you think. It's a relatively small economy and population compared to the UK.

It's OK being a manufacturer or provider of raw materials but that means someone has to buy your stuff for you to make money. No money=no purchases and you can't manufacture way out of a recession or mine your way out as these goods will stockpile and the price will fall / stall.

If you are a trader, you get pulled out of the recession quicker as you recover once trade increases. You can't all keep buying Holdens....so all you will do is delay the inevitable. Also, I don't see foreign investment going back to Australia to set up an infrastructure for manufacturing when you can move it to Asia to get it restarted.

The recession is global. You can no more spend your way out of recession than to paraphrase Winston Churchill lift yourself up by the handle whilst standing in the bucket.

Australia will hit be hit later, and harder, and longer than Europe. China will strip you of your assets and that will be it.

In short this is saying that there is a lot less disposable income where it counts.

Nissan have just announced they are axing 1200 jobs at their Sunderland plant

Archived