Guest James.S

Hi Simon,

mate, sorry to bother you but I'm also in a similar situation to Pozza. I have both my C&G's 236 1 and 2 plus 224 pts 1 and 2. I did do my apprenticeship in construction sparks, but spent many years in comms ( transmission and exchange mtce). Now, I came over on a spouse visa and had no idea regarding the minefield sparks had to go through to get a license. I've spoken to the TRA, but from what I gather, I have to prove I'm a sparks (photo's memo's,testing paperwork, referee's etc) which is bloody near impossible, especially when I'm 54 and even the company I was an apprentice on no longer excises. Anyway, long story short what was the prerequisite for this Future skills mob mate?

I am thinking of using an agent in Oz to prepare my documents for the asseser to get my uk qualifications recognised. He reckons I will need my work experience going back 6 years . I worked with heaps of agencies in uk and wouldn't remember all the dates and companies 6 years back . Would the agencies have dates and companies I worked for in there computers would anyone have had the same problem ?

Hi Pozza, I just don't know over here. When I first came here, even getting to speak to someone at the TRA was like getting blood out of a stone. I have gone on there website and given them a descriptive account of my experience and qualification and asked if they have a way of supporting this type of situation as I don't mind doing some TAFE, but I'm not holding out much hope. As I said, I have a good work descriptive reference from my old boss at Telewest, but had no idea that over evidence would be required, so kinda ****ed tbh!!

I am thinking of using an agent in Oz to prepare my documents for the asseser to get my uk qualifications recognised. He reckons I will need my work experience going back 6 years . I worked with heaps of agencies in uk and wouldn't remember all the dates and companies 6 years back . Would the agencies have dates and companies I worked for in there computers would anyone have had the same problem ?

I would be wary of engaging an agent! he will not I believe help you all that much as you do not get Aus licenses simply by having your qualifications assessed/recognized, you still have to do training courses and be like an apprentice for a while.

Good luck

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but i've scrolled back a year or so, and can't find the answer!.

I'm in the UK and have 20 years experience including my apprenticeship as an engineering maintenance technician, which looking through the skills list, the best match for me is as a Electrician Special Class, - it's the trade where when I look through the requirements I feel 100% happy and competent with sitting an exam with just a small amount of brushing up on things.

I've decided on a migration agent, after some discussion hwere we discussed that this was the best occupation to pick, but now I'm concerned as i've been sent details for VETASSESS by them, which seems to be more suited to General Electrician, and in addition, though I can fumble my way through a couple of the electives with some cramming, this really isn't what I was expecting. Have I been given a bum steer here?

Has anyone any recent experience of going down the electrician special class route? and can they offer some advice? I'm not at this stage worried about the actual assessment day, just which route is the best to go with.

Thanks in advance,

Kayley.

Hi jchoops, you're right, it is a complete minefield to get a licence here in aus and also requires a fair bit of luck to even get a job in the first place. In answer to your question, Futureskills require the certificates from city and guilds. From memory I don't think they required much more than that. Any other proof of your competence and how long you have been working as a sparky for is for the Australian government to decide how many points you should get based on your experience, which if you came over on a partner visa you shouldn't need to worry about. Sorry I can't give a more concrete description of what is needed exactly but it's over two years now since I gained my OTSR.

Hi Kayley, have you booked your special class assessment yet? I know Futureskills run a preparation day for the general electrician assessment and I would highly recommend to anyone to complete this first, maybe they run a prep course for the special class aswell. What type of work are you doing in the UK at the moment? A large chunk of the general electrician assessment cable calculations, safe disconnect and reconnect and direct online starters. How would you feel about that instead?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello kayley

went through the vetassess process last year , working in the rail industry as a signalling technician I had limited domestic knowledge but still did the apprenticeship as an electrician then went into railway signalling for 23 years so thought I would go special electrician when I spoke to vetassess they said they assessed general and special electrician exactly the same way without a technical interview so I went the general electrician route , paperwork section can be a nightmare gathering evidence but the practical was a breeze

Hi Guys,

first time posting on here and need some assistance. I will be coming to Oz on a working holiday visa as its the cheapest and a quick way to get into Oz and its mostly a trail period for me and my girlfriend to see if we like Oz.I am 21 years old and have only been a spark 2 years and understand that its like trying to draw blood from a stone to become a graded spark. I am just wondering that once I come over is there jobs in the electrical industry like a trade assistant or sparks mate. this would only be for me to get some work to start with. I want to stay in Oz for the rest of my life as I already had a permanent resident visa that hasn't been cancelled but i got that when i was 11 years old. if not then it will be a case of getting anything that is on the eligible work list to let me get my visa extended to give me a chance of going down the route to get becoming a provisional spark then get a bridging visa and becoming a permanent resident that way. long winded way but for the amount of money i have its the best way i can think of.

i am hoping to be going out to Oz between may and june time..

Any help is much appreciated..

Hi Guys,

first time posting on here and need some assistance. I will be coming to Oz on a working holiday visa as its the cheapest and a quick way to get into Oz and its mostly a trail period for me and my girlfriend to see if we like Oz.I am 21 years old and have only been a spark 2 years and understand that its like trying to draw blood from a stone to become a graded spark. I am just wondering that once I come over is there jobs in the electrical industry like a trade assistant or sparks mate. this would only be for me to get some work to start with. I want to stay in Oz for the rest of my life as I already had a permanent resident visa that hasn't been cancelled but i got that when i was 11 years old. if not then it will be a case of getting anything that is on the eligible work list to let me get my visa extended to give me a chance of going down the route to get becoming a provisional spark then get a bridging visa and becoming a permanent resident that way. long winded way but for the amount of money i have its the best way i can think of.

i am hoping to be going out to Oz between may and june time..

Any help is much appreciated..

first, have you already applied for your working holiday visa? The issue if you have is that your permanent residence visa will now be cancelled as when one visa is granted, it cancels previous / existing visas. If not, then you would need a resident return visa as the travel section of a existing permanent resident visa expires after 5 years. It may though be difficult to obtain a resident return visa if you haven't been in Australia since you were 11. But, would be worth an attempt.

Regarding jobs, it will depend a lot on which visa you end up on. If it is a resident return visa, then you would be in Australia as a permanent resident. So, have a reasonable chance. But, if the RRV is refused, it would be difficult to get trade work as employers know you can only work for them for 6 months.

Hi pm4231

Not sure if this helps, but just in case no one has told you the best job website in Australia is www.seek.com.au There are some current options that might suit what you're looking for here: http://www.seek.com.au/jobs/in-australia/#dateRange=999&workType=0&industry=&occupation=&graduateSearch=false&salaryFrom=0&salaryTo=999999&salaryType=annual&companyID=&advertiserID=&advertiserGroup=&keywords=electrician+assistant&page=1&displaySuburb=&seoSuburb=&where=&whereId=&whereIsDirty=false&isAreaUnspecified=false&location=&area=&nation=3000&sortMode=KeywordRelevance&searchFrom=quick&searchType=

Also don't forget you'll need to get your White Card. online is the easiest... $typically $39 - $55

Hope that helps... enjoy your adventure!

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removed links to external website.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jshezza29

hi guys first post on here.

Like a lot of the guys on here I have come over here with my partner. She's a nurse and has got no issue finding work.

With me its a different story. You think a nurse and an electrician late 20's would be the perfect combo. Not the case!

We come on a WHV to try it before we commit to permanent residency.

We have been in Brisbane now for about 5 weeks. I have getting a job in removals just to keep the cash coming in but I obviously want to do electrical work as I'm a sparky from the UK.

I completed my OTSR back in the UK and I'm waiting on my restricted license to come through. I've also done my White card training.

Its really hard to get a job as even a sparks mate on a WHV. We are applying for permanent residency in June but tbh I don't want to wait until then to be doing electrical work.

Theres a lot of hoops to jump through. Obviously once my restricted licence hopefully comes through; I've got to complete my Gap training to get The A grade Australian licence. But with that you need to complete a portfolio (similar to the UK NVQ) where you need evidence of of doing electrical work in oz.

So its catch 22, as you got to be lucky to even be employed as a sparks mate to even complete this training. No one wants to take you on with a WHV. The best way to get work is by knowing someone in the electrical field, i've spoke to a few people who said they'll get me on then heard nothing back after that.

Every UK spark I've spoke to says its absolute bulls**t jumping from UK spark to oz spark. A lot of cost and time and hitting brick walls. So many things to do. Sorry for the rant but just giving you the heads up what you'll encounter once you get to Oz.

If anyone has any help/advice for me I would appreciate it immensely.

Hi mte, good luck is all I can say. I managed to get a TA in Brissy when I first came over doing Mechanical services, but the company went bust. Worked for primus, as an Exchange Tech (which is what I had done in London) and that work went south after a few years. I have Electronics certs 224 (1 and 2) and 236 (1 and 2) and a heap of electrical and comms certificates and can't even get a TA job. I was made redundant last year, live on the Sunny Coast and still had no work. Been applying for "anything". Every POMMY sparks I've come across seems to have been s**t lucky to have got there license. TBH, if it was not for the fact that my daughter is starting uni this Feb, I would have f***ed off by now. Lucky for me we have a flat being sold in London, small mortgage here and my wife has quite a good wage. Sadly, I'm 54, and forgotten more than a lot of the Aussie sparks I've come across seem to know. Oh, and one other thing, I don't know what it it about POMMY expats, but we just don't seem to help each other out like the Aussie's did with each other in London. I have spoken to POM's that have there own electrical company here, and are aware of the issues but just can't be arsed to help - very strange! Oh, just to give you an idea how pissed off I'm with the situation ( as if you have not yet noticed) I put a detailed FAQ on the TRA website in November discribing my situation and asking what options I have. There website stats a 10 working day reply, still waiting... It's like the ETU have had the industry ringfenced, and the Government don't want to interfere. What really gives me the hump, is the Aussies have no steel conduit experience and if you mention MICC well the blood seems to drain from there face. Good luck my friend, I wished I could give you a starting point. From people I have spoken to, the best way is to get as a electrical TA and go from there, but don't go holding your breath!

Edited by jchoops

Hi Jshezza29,

I can't say it's any easier to find an electrical job once you have finished your WHV and got your full visa. I was in the country for 4 and a half months and applying for jobs daily before I finally managed to secure employment. People don't seem to be interested in helping you gain a licence as there are so many licenced sparkies around who can go out unsupervised earning the company money right from the start. You just have to be lucky and hope someone gives you the benefit of the doubt.

I was suprised to learn how many unemployed sparkles there are about, I am living in Melbourne so I can't say for certain in your area but I have been told there are hundreds of applicants for most electrical jobs so I can see why the companies stay away from the unlicensed foreigners.

You are also right about the amount of red-tape and hassle to gain your licence, it is very expensive and time consuming and although you can gain your licence within a year it is really like a mini apprenticeship all over again even though the UK qualifications are equal to the Australian ones.

Good luck getting your licence and hang on in there, it is possible

• 2 weeks later...

Do all states follow the same procedure to obtain the license?

Electrician General ANZSCO 341111

EOI 11th June

Invite 6th July

Visa Application 8th July

Medicals & PCC's front loaded

CO Contact 9th September requesting medicals.

Quick call to advise medicals already completed 10th September

Grant 10th September

Flew to Perth 3rd November

Do all states follow the same procedure to obtain the license?

EOI 11th June

Invite 6th July

Grant 10th September

Yes, once you have your provisional electrical license you need to complete the GAP training which is similar to an NVQ before you can apply for your A license

Yes, once you have your provisional electrical license you need to complete the GAP training which is similar to an NVQ before you can apply for your A license

Do they all require 12 months working under supervision?

EOI 11th June

Invite 6th July

Grant 10th September

Do they all require 12 months working under supervision?

EOI 11th June

Invite 6th July

Grant 10th September

It's the same as an NVQ, the 12 months under supervision a is a guideline, same as with the NVQ you finish it as fast as you complete the work and the write ups, I completed my NVQ in 6 weeks because I worked on it every weekend until it was completed.

You're best contacting a training provider local to you and asking, regardless of that though you will be required to do supervised work, there isn't a way to just transfer the qualifications.

Edited by Skyba

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone bypassed Australia and gone to New Zealand to get a license?

I read a posting here somewhere that said nz is much easier to obtain a license in. As the states here will recognize that without any of the b.s. Sounds like it might be an easier way. Aussie residents are allowed to live and work in nz so if it's feasible I would be willing to go that route.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Hi, I have literally just joined this site and I'm trying to get an idea of wages for electricians in Oz? Apologies if this has already come up in this thread but it's a long thread! Ha ha. I'm hoping to work in Queensland, specifically the Gold Coast. I was wondering what the average salary was for when working the gap year and also once you have the full licence? Any information would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Paul