Guest James.S

Also he forms you have to complete on energy safety website is asking for different forms of id to get 100 points .can only see that we would be able to use passport (70 points) what else are you using?

Thanks

Try and get a reference to from previous employer. As much as you can supply

Guest garyheidi7
Also he forms you have to complete on energy safety website is asking for different forms of id to get 100 points .can only see that we would be able to use passport (70 points) what else are you using?

Thanks

Hi, we just sent copies of driving licence, passport, birth certificate, and a utility bill from the uk it all added up to 95 points so that is why we sent extra ID and waited to see if it was ok, as obviously we dont have the australan versions asked for. We received letter of approval 4 weeks later. Just send all proofs of ID you have.

Hi, we just sent copies of driving licence, passport, birth certificate, and a utility bill from the uk it all added up to 95 points so that is why we sent extra ID and waited to see if it was ok, as obviously we dont have the australan versions asked for. We received letter of approval 4 weeks later. Just send all proofs of ID you have.

okay so now with your letter of approval (restricted permit to work supervised), do you try to get a date for the next available 2 week course in the collage.

did you use an oz address for energy safe to post the letter back to.

how recent have you completed & sent your form to energy safe?

Guest garyheidi7
okay so now with your letter of approval (restricted permit to work supervised), do you try to get a date for the next available 2 week course in the collage.

did you use an oz address for energy safe to post the letter back to.

how recent have you completed & sent your form to energy safe?

hi once we received the letter of approval, which did take exactly four weeks and that was with one or two phone calls to them to check it was being processed, we rang up the CET in Balcatta spoke to Leslie Dryden to enquire she said we could book into the ETL course date we wanted we just had to scan in and email her our letter of approval also our visa then paid her the fee over the phone and that was it we are booked in to sit the two week course. We did this about 6 weeks ago now. oh and no we did nt need an oz address she said to give her an address when we have one or in our case we will be doing the course before we have a permanent address, and also energy safety posted it to us here in the uk. hope this helps.

Thats great thanks!!

Guest perksy

Hiya,

Just before Christmas I looked into applying for your restricted before you go out and I emailed energy safe and they sent me a email with a form to fill in and you just send it with your qualifications and evidence. I never ended up applying though as our sale on our house fell through. We then went to oz to activate our visa in January and I spoke to energy safe and as stated before, you can sit a 2 week course but this all depends on availability of places on the course and when they are being held. I agree it does seem to be a confusing process as there is not a great deal of info, only what you hear or see on Internet. We are just waiting to sell our house and we now have to get a visa for our youngest son who would have been born an Ozzie if our house had not fell through.

Steve

Edited by perksy

hi once we received the letter of approval, which did take exactly four weeks and that was with one or two phone calls to them to check it was being processed, we rang up the CET in Balcatta spoke to Leslie Dryden to enquire she said we could book into the ETL course date we wanted we just had to scan in and email her our letter of approval also our visa then paid her the fee over the phone and that was it we are booked in to sit the two week course. We did this about 6 weeks ago now. oh and no we did nt need an oz address she said to give her an address when we have one or in our case we will be doing the course before we have a permanent address, and also energy safety posted it to us here in the uk. hope this helps.

That's brilliant to hear from some1 that has actually done this, because in my head, this was the handiest way of doing it from uk so no waiting around in WA...

That's my plan also, wife & 3 kids in toe, defo don't wanna be waiting around.

Another ?? When r u planning on heading over? & what date did you get 4 the 2 week course? Much of a wait?

Guest garyheidi7
That's brilliant to hear from some1 that has actually done this, because in my head, this was the handiest way of doing it from uk so no waiting around in WA...

That's my plan also, wife & 3 kids in toe, defo don't wanna be waiting around.

Another ?? When r u planning on heading over? & what date did you get 4 the 2 week course? Much of a wait?

Hi after sorting it out from the uk we are so glad we did do it here as we could not afford to wait 4 weeks just for the restricted licence from energy safety,once there as we have 5 children and would like to be working as soon as i could. I did this at the end of april and was offered june as the first date as may was booked up, we wanted july as we arrive on the 6th but it was on the 9th so it was a bit too soon as we need to go and find a permanent rental and sort stuff out, so i am booked into august course. Like i said we fly in 4 weeks time, and we cant wait. when are you hoping to be going?

Hi after sorting it out from the uk we are so glad we did do it here as we could not afford to wait 4 weeks just for the restricted licence from energy safety,once there as we have 5 children and would like to be working as soon as i could. I did this at the end of april and was offered june as the first date as may was booked up, we wanted july as we arrive on the 6th but it was on the 9th so it was a bit too soon as we need to go and find a permanent rental and sort stuff out, so i am booked into august course. Like i said we fly in 4 weeks time, and we cant wait. when are you hoping to be going?

That's works out great, have ya any work lined up?

We have r meds on sat, & pc sent so don't want to tempt fate, were going to wait for the good news email & then plan & organise ourselves. But it's great to know wat you have done, ya hear horror stories bout sparks waiting months to get on the course & some employers won't look at ya wit no licence. Seems the vetassess was worth all the hassle & money to get the otsr!!!

Guest garyheidi7
That's works out great, have ya any work lined up?

We have r meds on sat, & pc sent so don't want to tempt fate, were going to wait for the good news email & then plan & organise ourselves. But it's great to know wat you have done, ya hear horror stories bout sparks waiting months to get on the course & some employers won't look at ya wit no licence. Seems the vetassess was worth all the hassle & money to get the otsr!!!

Yeah, it was very straight forward and easy to arrange, I just hope nothing changes before I get to do the course, as last year I think it was September time they changed the rules and OTSR holders could nt do the two week course and had to do 12 month log book route and then just before Xmas they changed their minds again and allowed the two week course to be used by OTSR holders, so my fingers are crossed nothing changes for the time being. I am waiting to hear from an agency about a fifo job, but I'm not too worried about finding work, I think something will come along once there and I have the a grade licence, no point in worrying bout it. Good luck with your final stage of your visa application.

I contacted ETL at the start of the year and they said I had to be in Australia before I could apply for the course etc, but looking at what you guys have acheived it looks like the rules have relaxed. Think I'll send in my application and see how it gets on. Leaving for Perth in September, so hope I can get it all sorted for then.

Hi garyheidi7,

I was just wondering, what visa you got granted and did you get your course fees subsidised? I'm just asking because I've read on here that if you get a PR visa then you get money knocked off the price, if its any help to you. How much did you finally pay(if you don't mind me asking:-))?

Guest garyheidi7
Hi garyheidi7,

I was just wondering, what visa you got granted and did you get your course fees subsidised? I'm just asking because I've read on here that if you get a PR visa then you get money knocked off the price, if its any help to you. How much did you finally pay(if you don't mind me asking:-))?

Hi, we are going on a 176 visa, and yes you do get the cost of the course subsidised, i assume thats why she wanted a copy of our visa to prove we have PR , I paid 292 dollars for the course. Yes definitely advise you to sort it all while in the UK it was very straight forward to do and has saved me waiting around for it once we arrive. Good luck with your plans.

Guest dirty130

Hello, I have been working as an electrician for 6years in the UK, I didn't do an apprenticeship I just sat the 17th edition exam. (Im a PLC programmer and do electrical breakdowns mainly) I applied to the TRA back in 2009 and they said I couldn't apply as I didn't have an apprenticeship or 7 years experience. Is there anyone in a similar situation as me and can help? I don't fancy doing an apprenticeship at 27. I already have a 810 visa.

Thanks Dave

Hello, I have been working as an electrician for 6years in the UK, I didn't do an apprenticeship I just sat the 17th edition exam. (Im a PLC programmer and do electrical breakdowns mainly) I applied to the TRA back in 2009 and they said I couldn't apply as I didn't have an apprenticeship or 7 years experience. Is there anyone in a similar situation as me and can help? I don't fancy doing an apprenticeship at 27. I already have a 810 visa.

Thanks Dave

you need to complete vetassess. 1st part is all paperwork, we gave 8 years work refs, certs, pay records, etc. basically to prove you have been working as an electrician. once this is done you can then apply for next available practical date in the uk..

Guest Kevinf1873

Hi. I Have just gained my as 3000 authorisation in melbourne and was wondering if anyone knows, can it be transferred somehow back in the uk to b able to work as a spark in the uk?

Guest jordanpick

Hi There

This is a great thread I have received really good feedback on here once already and now back for some more help!!

So last I wrote on here we were going through getting my partner trade recognised and now he has all of that and has eventually done his A grade license so he can work. However there are yet more courses and tests that are recommended for him to do if he wants to get onto the mines.

One of which is the Cert IV in Electrical instrumentation. Basically those that have done it will have done a web log book of examples of work ect and as my partner isn't the most literate (great at hands on but not so good at re-listing jobs he has carried out) I normally help with the paperwork side of things so am writing up what he has said but I was wondering if anyone has kept their log books so that I could take a look at to get the right gist as to lay out and examples?

Would really appreciate any help as I am getting a bit fed up of my partner getting frustrated with me as I don't understand what he is talking about!! :wink:

Thanks

Gemma

Heres what you can do:

Book yourself on a course with PEER training (www.peer.com.au) and buy yourself the following books.

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS678036347050

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=stds000017409

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS12820832AASS

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS778112015227

(Note: If you keep your receipts for the books and the course, you can claim them back against your taxable income providing you claim them in the same tax year as you buy them)

At Peer, you will be given a booklet to fill in. It will ask you to find the relevant section of the wiring rules to answer the question. This book can be filled in either at the training centre or at home, so really it’s up to you how long it will take to fill in. Once you have completed this you will then be able to take your exam, which is basically the same thing – filling in the relevant regulations.

It usually takes anything from 2 – 4 weeks to get to the exam stage (well they have to look as if they are at least trying biggrin.gif).

Once you have done your exam and passed, (impossible to fail, as they will tell you to amend things if they aren’t right), you will get a certificate to say you have completed the wiring rules course. You then take this and your ARTC certificate, which should have arrived by now) to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA) in Adelaide CBD. You will need to also fill in this form: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/files/form1a_pge_indiv_ptship_07web.pdf and pay the fee ($338 currently, again keep the receipt as you can claim it back wink.gif)

They will send you a letter asking you to have a photo done at various places (usually transport offices), once you have done that it will take approximately 10 to 14 days to receive your licence and away you go.

Hi,

just want to clear a few things that I have experienced since arriving 3 weeks ago in Queensland. Some of the stuff on here just isn't correct, not blaming anyone, things just get a bit like Chinese whispers sometimes.

I have only used this quote as i read it about peer veet.

I got granted my ARTC electrical mechanic October last year. They may of done in the past but now they will not send it out to you unless you have proof that you are in the Australia, ie passport stamped or proof of address, I have been trying since arrival to get it sent out. Had to get a declaration and copy of passport stamp signed by a local notary after being refused with aus bank statement. Still waiting for it to arrive.

I enrolled on the peer veet distance learning course while in the uk, completed the work book, took around 30 hours. You have to complete it before you can book in for the revision and exam week. The course is by no means impossible to fail. I have just completed the 4 days today. Out of the 9 that where there, 2 defiantly failed, 5 where resetting parts that where just under the pass mark 80% when I left, not sure what the outcome was. Only two of us passed straight away. If you complete the work book properly and read through it it's not to bad but it's definitely not a turn up and pass course.

We went to the licensing place this afternoon and you can apply straight away, they just copy your peer veet cert and artc cert, take details and a picture for card and said it would take 1 to 2 weeks for card to come through. As I haven't received my ARTC cert yet they filled everything out and said to copy it and post it when it arrives and they will process license. I showed him the grant letter as proof but he said they needed to sight the actuall certificate first.

I had completed the OTSR though vetassesse in the uk for visa, this will only get you a restricted license if you do the SA peer veet route so is not much use for that, it has to be the ARTC.

I have also read that you can't transfer to Queensland. The guy in the licensing place in Adelaide said they do it all the time and I have spoken to a friend who is sparking in Brisbane who says a few people he works with have done the transfer recently with no problems.

I did CPR and low voltage rescue combined course last week for $80 took about 3 hours, and white card was $50 took about 2 hours, both easy, can book them a couple of days in advance.

This is what has actually happened since I arrived 3 weeks, first hand info.

Hope this helps or gets rid of any confusion.

Any one needs any more info about our experience since arrival, ie rental property, car from auction, bank, schools. Maybe not in the electricians thread.

Will keep you posted of any more development.

Peter

Guest gooner84

Hi everyone, going to brisbane in a couple of weeks on a working holiday visa. Im a spark in London and wondering if I would be able to work as a electricians mate without any Australian license. If so does anyone know if there's much work about in brisbane?

Hi,

just want to clear a few things that I have experienced since arriving 3 weeks ago in Queensland. Some of the stuff on here just isn't correct, not blaming anyone, things just get a bit like Chinese whispers sometimes.

I have only used this quote as i read it about peer veet.

I got granted my ARTC electrical mechanic October last year. They may of done in the past but now they will not send it out to you unless you have proof that you are in the Australia, ie passport stamped or proof of address, I have been trying since arrival to get it sent out. Had to get a declaration and copy of passport stamp signed by a local notary after being refused with aus bank statement. Still waiting for it to arrive.

I enrolled on the peer veet distance learning course while in the uk, completed the work book, took around 30 hours. You have to complete it before you can book in for the revision and exam week. The course is by no means impossible to fail. I have just completed the 4 days today. Out of the 9 that where there, 2 defiantly failed, 5 where resetting parts that where just under the pass mark 80% when I left, not sure what the outcome was. Only two of us passed straight away. If you complete the work book properly and read through it it's not to bad but it's definitely not a turn up and pass course.

We went to the licensing place this afternoon and you can apply straight away, they just copy your peer veet cert and artc cert, take details and a picture for card and said it would take 1 to 2 weeks for card to come through. As I haven't received my ARTC cert yet they filled everything out and said to copy it and post it when it arrives and they will process license. I showed him the grant letter as proof but he said they needed to sight the actuall certificate first.

I had completed the OTSR though vetassesse in the uk for visa, this will only get you a restricted license if you do the SA peer veet route so is not much use for that, it has to be the ARTC.

I have also read that you can't transfer to Queensland. The guy in the licensing place in Adelaide said they do it all the time and I have spoken to a friend who is sparking in Brisbane who says a few people he works with have done the transfer recently with no problems.

I did CPR and low voltage rescue combined course last week for $80 took about 3 hours, and white card was $50 took about 2 hours, both easy, can book them a couple of days in advance.

This is what has actually happened since I arrived 3 weeks, first hand info.

Hope this helps or gets rid of any confusion.

Any one needs any more info about our experience since arrival, ie rental property, car from auction, bank, schools. Maybe not in the electricians thread.

Will keep you posted of any more development.

Peter

Hi Peter, please one quick answer :) : Are they sending books and booklets from Peer overseas for the course, do they need to be hard copies, or e-books. I need to go back overseas for month or two, I'm thinking in doing the course until I come back...

Hi dunki,

They will send them to the uk, that's what I did. There are about 5 books including the wiring rules book and a work folder to complete. Better with the hard copies from them I would say as they are needed for the revision week and can be used in the exams. I think if you had your own winging rules book it was about $100 cheaper. There was a couple of people there with older versions, not sure what the differences where.

Peter

Hi can any one help. I'm a U.K qualified electrician currently living in Darwin on a 461 partners visa I am waiting for my atrc application to come back. I have applied for electrical mechanic. Has any one on here applied for their nt electrical licence and if so did they have to do the regs course to gain a full licence? Thanks