Guest James.S

Guest crash hot sparky

I'm in Darwin mate , been up her about four-five months.

Yeah study is the way forward , the revision day and talking through things with the other guys sitting the course sorts alot of the finer points out .

Lets not forget chaps that alot of sparks come from many different fields. One may be house bashing all his working career whereas the another may be only doing industrial motors. Sparky is such a small word for such a vast trade from design engineers to predominatly house bashers. Other than your apprenticeship and learning the trade in the classroom some of the sparks out there never do star/delta remote stop starts, likewise those who do maybe couldnt wire an intermediate switch in a hallway. Its not fair saying " if you cant do this or cant that" then you shouldnt be a spark. Such comments only contribute to the fears of those who havent and have to undertake the tests.

All of you have said that "Study study study" is the way forward. ABSOLUTELY! Those who dont know, ask! and post on here... We all can help each other.

Chris

fair point well made chris ,was just trying to say that nothing worth having is ever given on a plate . study is the way forward and just because somebody is a graded spark in the uk doesnt automatically mean they will be up to the mark in oz ,without a lot of hard work. simon

Guest crash hot sparky

Yeah loads of work up in Darwin , i have a fly in fly out job with a darwin company which i got within two days of landing. House prices and rentals are horrendous though for such a small city but the work is well paid ,

hi, I have my Vetassesse practical on Thursday in Blackburn. Been learning formulas again, its been nearly 20 years since I have done that. Am a right in thinking that you cant take any notes in with formulas on. I have gone over Impedance, capacitive and inductive reactance, transformer turns ratios, rms values. Am trying to get 3 phase power calculations in my head at the moment. Any more I may need or any advice would be appreciated. thanks peter

hi, I have my Vetassesse practical on Thursday in Blackburn. Been learning formulas again, its been nearly 20 years since I have done that. Am a right in thinking that you cant take any notes in with formulas on. I have gone over Impedance, capacitive and inductive reactance, transformer turns ratios, rms values. Am trying to get 3 phase power calculations in my head at the moment. Any more I may need or any advice would be appreciated. thanks peter

i wasnt allowed to take any notes in ,from what i remember ,somebody on here told me to brush up on resistor colour codes but that didnt come up

Guest NeilanGemz

Hi mate

I took my practical assessment in Blackburn Friday just gone. The guys from the college are really nice guys and although I wasn't expecting it, so was that guy from vetassess. We had Roger, really nice guy so hopefully you'll get him too.

It sounds like you are swotting up on what you need to really, the power calcs in single and 3 phase came up quite a lot when I did it as did all Ohms law calcs. The questions may change but I would say the content is the same.

Safe isolation is a big part of it, make sure you do it in the correct sequence, you don't have to actually lock off the MCB with a padlock and put the key in your pocket but make sure you explain what you are/should be doing, or would do whilst you are going through it. There are a couple of posts on here with the correct method that you should use.

PAT testing came up aswell which I didn't expect, just basic PAT testing, ins resistance, continuity of CPC and ensuring that the metalwork is earthed, etc.

The thing that took me a little longer than I though was the wiring up of the DOL motor starter as I NEVER do it EVER. As long as you follow the wiring diagram they give you though you'll be fine. Just check that the board matches what you should be doing, on the notes it said to wire up TWO start buttons and TWO stop buttons, but we only actually had to include one of each. Like I say just follow the wiring diagram supplied and you'll be fine.

The main practical bit is a doddle if you have done any install works, theres no MICC, steel conduit or ring circuits so if you've done your AM2 you'll piss it.

If you need any more info/help just message me and good luck.

Neil

thanks for the reply and info. I am pretty confident on the practical side of it just struggling a bit trying to remember the 3phase power calculations. Still got till tomorrow night to get it sussed. It says on the tools list to take a drill with you, is this necessary?

Peter

thanks for the reply and info. I am pretty confident on the practical side of it just struggling a bit trying to remember the 3phase power calculations. Still got till tomorrow night to get it sussed. It says on the tools list to take a drill with you, is this necessary?

Peter

i didnt take any tools

thre may be some tricky qustions abt polyphase ckts

e.g. 200v 32 kw heater is connected in star and given 400 volts, what will be the power? power remains the same as two heaters come in series and voltage is doubled. the power remains same.

if voltage doubles in a resistive ckt what happaens to power?

if voltage halves in a resistive ckt what happens to power?

if power factoe lowers then what happens to curent?

INDUCTANCE, IMPEDANCE,REACTANCE.

when 2 inductors are connected in series what will be the resultant?(it adds)

disconnection and reconnection procedure.

u'll have to follow the sequence and explain him why u do it in that way.

DoL is quiet easy i think. contactors are of ELV (24Vac), probably.

if there is more than one ON and OFF buttons, just connect the ON buttons in parrallel and OFF button in series.

good luck mate

Guest english reject

I did mine last year in scotland and Roger was on that one as well, I was told the pass mark was 50% for the multi choice part.

Good luck all, the worst part is the wait to see if you have passed !!!.

Guest NeilanGemz

How did you get on Pete??

I haven't been on for a couple of nights, sorry pal could have offered a little more info about it if I had.

Neil

Hi, think I was ok. Got 13 out of 18 on multi choice. Struggled a bit with dol but got it going in the end. That was the bit I never really looked at much as I thought I had it sussed. Fingers crossed any way. I will let you know. Thanks again for everyones advice.

Peter

Its due out on Friday, fingers crossed that sparks will be on it, they were on the draft list but i suppose that doesn't mean anything.Tthe new list doesnt come into effect till july.

maria.

Would I be right in saying we are back on the list and can now apply in July? The good news we have all been waiting for...

Guest CKIRL

I have been reading your accounts with Vetasses and exams etc. Can I ask what happens when you get to Australia? Do you have to go to a certain region? What happens with your electrical licence in Australia? I looked on the Vetasses website and itmentioned something about Cert 3?

Are you aware of what you have to do to get a licence in Australia? Does anyone address that on these courses?

Its the State migration plan, its a list from each state of their occupations in demand, if your on whatever state list you are applying to you will get priority 2 processing. None of the lists are out yet they should be published soon so fingers crossed.

Thanks for that. Yes fingers crossed. Good luck with your application