Guest James.S

hi Derren7

could i apply from the uk for my first restricted licsence do you think.

cheers

jason

Hi Jason,

Really don't know to be honest. On the electrical licence link I provided in the previous post it does say "upon arrival in Queensland you may apply blah blah" so I suspect you could apply from the UK as long as you supply an Oz address for correspondence. Personally, I would email or phone them and outline your own time frame to them and them to you. In my experience, the Aussies are generally very helpful and friendly. Regards Derren

Guest krysiajay

hi Derren7

Ive been thinking a little more. when i go in for my restricted will i get it there and then or does it go on a pile to be processed. Trying to get a picture of how long it will be from landing in oz to starting work as want to start asap. Would like to know if there will be a little wait.

cheers

j

hi Derren7

Ive been thinking a little more. when i go in for my restricted will i get it there and then or does it go on a pile to be processed. Trying to get a picture of how long it will be from landing in oz to starting work as want to start asap. Would like to know if there will be a little wait.

cheers

j

Hi Jason,

Again, I don't really know. Have looked at the Qld electrical safety website and it doesn't really give any info on waiting times. Judging by the TRA processing time for an ARTC of about 20 days I would imagine a similar sort of wait.

One thing I have noticed is that you will need a CPR course (first aid) to be issued with any sort of electrical licence. Not sure if they would recognise a UK first aid course. Hopefully someone else reading this might have some info or it might be better to ring them and get it from the horse's mouth.

Also , I must point out that I have not been thru the process of getting an ARTC. All the info I have provided has been gleaned from other peoples experiences on this forum and others , and from Australian govt websites.

Another important point is that with your OTSR you will be seeking a work training permit and not a restricted licence as I have incorrectly stated before.

If they do recognise a UK first aid course and you have an address you can use in Qld then I would apply from the UK and it should be waiting for you when you get there.

Again. I would phone them and a definitive answer whereas I can only give an opinion. Kind Regards Derren

Guest krysiajay

cheers Derren7

If you are a sparks in Queensland at the moment and reading this. could you reply back as i could do with some advice from people living and breathing the system sort of speek.

cheers

j

Guest The thomas

Hi new to all this so bare with me please, but I have tried to read through all the post's (this took some time). My husband is a sparkie and has been for the last 12 years, he has ran his own firm for 10 years. We have spoken abour emigrating for along time, but have only just decided now is the time, when we have come to look into it more, we are shocked at what an electrician has to go through to gain access to australia and also to actually get to work out there! We are hoping to go to perth or surrounding area, my husband auntie is in perth and we have friends who live in secret harbour. After reading all these threads....Im thinking it may be more advisable to try and get a visa with my hairdressing qualifications and hubby to get the nessacary licences etc when we get out there? can someone advise me on the process that would be the quickest and easiest of routes to take. as simple as possible though, bare in mind I am a hairdresser lol, thanks

Guest The thomas

I know...My husband Is of the same mind really, It's quite scary really, he hasn't had to revise for an exam in a long time!! Im just rying to weigh up the pro's and con's. I would imgine If we did it on my hairdressing experience/qualifications etc then He would still have to go through quite a bit when we got there, so that he could work?? If he didnt do the Vetasses here would he have to do something of the same nature over there? anybody?

Guest edwardsfamily
I know...My husband Is of the same mind really, It's quite scary really, he hasn't had to revise for an exam in a long time!! Im just rying to weigh up the pro's and con's. I would imgine If we did it on my hairdressing experience/qualifications etc then He would still have to go through quite a bit when we got there, so that he could work?? If he didnt do the Vetasses here would he have to do something of the same nature over there? anybody?

hi there,

mu hubby is a spark and im a nurse....we were advised to use his occupation as i only work part time in the uk. 2 years later and alot of money on vetassess we have now been told he could have another 3 years to wait for diac to process his visa.

we are now back to square 1, with me having increased my working hours and me being the main applicant. Vetassass he says was "the worst day of his life" even though he has been a spark for 15 years. we had to go to Blackburn in lancashire for it which was quite a journey from kent as at the time the choice was there or glasgow!! this involved hotel cost etc too.

the only good thing which has come from it is that he did pass and that means that once we do finally get there, he only has to go to college to learn aussie wiring regs and not train all over again, which i believe many sparks had to do before vetassess was started.

the choice is your obviously, and even though vetassess is a nightmare, at least he can work straight away once there.

have a look at the Vetassess web site to see if its going to be difficult for you to get to etc as the more info you have will help you make your decision.

hope that helps...good luck either way!

feel free to ask any more questions....Aimie xxx

when you arrive in oz on your visa he can get a artc certificate from the tra by providing them with a copy of his qualifications and references this will enable him to get a training license until hes done his ozzy regs course 3 -5 days in adelaide to get his A grade ticket then transfer it to a different state except WA trust me it will be easier to go on your qualifications

Guest thedohertys

Hi everybody, I am in Perth at the moment on holiday looking for a employer to sponsor me. I am an electrician and have passed Vetassess so was thinking this might be easy! Not a chance! I have heard employers are abit reluctant to sponsor especially without the WA A grade lisence which is another ball-ache to come by!

We have been granted state sponsorship but have sold the house and cannot afford to wait til 2012 for the visa to be granted!

Daughter starts school in September so we need things sorting really!

Frustrated? Just abit!

Anybody else the same?

We are coming out at the end of March for a look around in Melbourne and to approach employers but dont expect much of a job as we are not visa ready and need the full A class. It is a real problem for electricians. Not sure if any other trade has the same issues?

It would be nice to be able to do the training whilst in the UK as we have to wait for the Visa at least we could spend the time to get ozzie qualified? are there many adverts for electricians?

best of luck

Guest edwardsfamily
Hi everybody, I am in Perth at the moment on holiday looking for a employer to sponsor me. I am an electrician and have passed Vetassess so was thinking this might be easy! Not a chance! I have heard employers are abit reluctant to sponsor especially without the WA A grade lisence which is another ball-ache to come by!

We have been granted state sponsorship but have sold the house and cannot afford to wait til 2012 for the visa to be granted!

Frustrated? Just abit!

Anybody else the same?

hi there,

we are exactly the same....in fact, you could have been writing about us!!

the only thing we havent done is sell our house, thanks god! friends of ours living in perth have told us that there are no sponsers and ive even heard that the diac are not processing sponsered visa anyway, even if you found one. not for tradies anyway. they informed us that many people are having to work down mines and on the oil rigs just to get work......

we are now taking a different route as im a nurse, otherwise we would be playing the waiting game like everyone else.

Good luck in your personal search, let us know if you have any luck!!

Aimie x

Frustrated? Just abit!

Anybody else the same?

Hi Dohertys,

We are goin to do the same in june... coming out for a month to WA. OH is a sparky too. We were thinkin of trying to arrange the two week course for the A grade whilst we are there.... we may get a little more luck ?? What dya think.

Is it commercial or industrial type work you have been lookin for?

Just dont know how we are all gonna get there without employer sponsorship, its drivin us crazy too. We just dont want to wait till 2012 either.

Anyway wishing you loads of luck with your search.

Tina and Scott.

Frustrated? Just abit!

Anybody else the same?

Hi there,

You can do a two week Energy Safety course in WA to obtain an A grade licence with either an OTSR (issued by Vetassess) or an ARTC. For details of this follow this LINK. Regards Derren

Guest addaviskent

Hi everyone.

We're new here and are just starting to get out stuff together to apply :D

My husband in an electrician and would like to do the vetassess before we apply, does anyone know of anywhere he can do this in Kent, Surrey or South London??

Thank you muchly ;)

You have to apply on line to Vetassess and send off loads of documents, certificates etc. They then tell you the options of dates and venues.

You have to pass the paper test first and then you have the privilige of paying a fortune for the one day exam. We are in Somerset and had to travel to Blackburn as at the time they were only offering Glasgow or Blackburn. Hope this helps, and good luck

you will also have to bear in mind that when you finally get to Australia, you are like an apprentice again and have to do a load more training before you can get your A class ticket to work.

At the Vetassess assessment (which my other had to really revise for as much of the stuff he had not done since his original college courses) the guy doing the assessment said it is about 12 months of continuous on the job training and further tests to get your A class.

you will also have to bear in mind that when you finally get to Australia, you are like an apprentice again and have to do a load more training before you can get your A class ticket to work.

At the Vetassess assessment (which my other had to really revise for as much of the stuff he had not done since his original college courses) the guy doing the assessment said it is about 12 months of continuous on the job training and further tests to get your A class.

Hi there,

If you go to WA and do the 2 week Energy Safety course you can obtain the WA A grade licence and transfer it under to another state licence under 'mutual recognition'.

I am looking to relocate to Brisbane . I have been in contact with Chris Williamson at www.qet.edu.au . He looks at a 3 month time frame to obtaining a QLD A grade licence ,once you've found a job of course, which is not easy with the OTSR and work training permit.

Regards Derren

Guest mk1magic

Hi guys, my name is Arron Clark and im 23 from the UK. Im wanting to go to Oz and live as its something ive always wanted to do. Im just comming to the end of my JTL 4 year apprentaship and was wondering what kinda chance i will have over in Oz with sparky jobs etc etc ive noticed a test called vetassess is one thing i think i may need before i can make the move but, as ive seen with a few posts in here that there is alot more :S

What would be your best advice for a young guy like me going to Oz as im a tad confused as to what is needed from me :)

Cheers guys

Arron

Guest southerngent
Hi guys, my name is Arron Clark and im 23 from the UK. Im wanting to go to Oz and live as its something ive always wanted to do. Im just comming to the end of my JTL 4 year apprentaship and was wondering what kinda chance i will have over in Oz with sparky jobs etc etc ive noticed a test called vetassess is one thing i think i may need before i can make the move but, as ive seen with a few posts in here that there is alot more :S

What would be your best advice for a young guy like me going to Oz as im a tad confused as to what is needed from me :)

Cheers guys

Arron

Arron, I am not 100% sure but i think you maybe out of luck with a PR visa due to lack of experiance.

Department of Immigration & Citizenship to check your visa options.

Having said that you have an advantage with your age so could go on a working holiday visa and whilst your there you may be able to get an ARTC (however am not sure if the experiance may catch you out again. check here to find out.

Skills Assessment for ARTC - Overview

Good luck

Hi Derren,

Do you know at what college the A grade license(energy safety) course is .

We are goin over in june, and hoping to find a course whilst we are out there.

Need to speak to someone at the college to arrange it, or someone who can let us know if its possible to do it end of june, beginning of july.

Is it central Perth area, dya know ??????????

Cheers.

Guest english reject

Evening scottntina, have you done Vetassess or TRA ????, if you go on British Ex Pats and look in the working abroad by trade section there are some links with the info you need . We are going out in early June and I will be doing the 2 week course at Joondaloop ( Balcatta is the other one ) after some revision.

Regards and good luck

Iain