Red back in the shed

Okay, DH believes there is a red back in the shed :wideyedxmas:

Should we be doing anything about it?

Neither of us are scared of spiders but I don't want one of us to end up with a bite especially our 5 year old.

Jules

Guest Guest9973

I'd do it in I'm afraid - but with care.

Seriously - if it is clearly visible - spray it with hairspray.

Stops the sucker going anywhere,gives you chance to squish it and no nasty pesticides!!!:laughxmas:

I'd not recommend trying it on anything larger though.

This is how we kill em on the rock wall overhanging the pool.:emoticon-signxmas:

Go to Woolies or Bunnings and get some of the Moretin control bombs - set it off inside the shed,close the shed door and leave for an hour or so - problem sorted. I do this every few months with our shed as it kills the ones you don`t see (Our shed is pretty dark and Im convinced they are just waiting to jump out and mug me in there!)

Guest earlswood
Okay, DH believes there is a red back in the shed :wideyedxmas:

Should we be doing anything about it?

Neither of us are scared of spiders but I don't want one of us to end up with a bite especially our 5 year old.

Jules

Jules....have you got a shotgun?

OMG, I never thought of killing it. We're all vegetarian, hahahahahahahahaha!!

Don't know what to do now! No way would OH stand on it though, he'd need trauma counselling :)

Jules x

Guest Richard and carole

Hi Jules, Maybe a good pest man to sort the problem out and spray the shed so you don't get to many more coming in!! You won't feel bad as you never killed it!, sorted. All the best Carole

I would go for that bug bomd thing - works every time and kills the other that lurk - the ones that are unseen at the moment.

Do it every couple of months and you'll be ok.

TIm

Guest earlswood

Don't know what to do now! No way would OH stand on it though, he'd need trauma counselling :)

Jules x

A man has gota do what a man's gotta do....you will find you become a cold killer living in oz....this time next year you will fell nothing about shooting a koala bear outa your prize bush.....belive me...:emoticon-signxmas:

Jules

You really dont have nothing to worry about, they are smaller enough to squash without any worries, its when they get into ya boots & slippers etc that you need to worry as you wont see them first.

Not so long back my hubby brought some work boots (new in box) off ebay and when they arrived with us (posted from melbourne) yep they had a red back in one of the boots.

Use the sprays like other peolpe have suggested espec on garden funiture, our last set of furniture had some nooks & crannys in the arm rests and was unindated with red backs - hence we did replace the garden set.

Hubby just purchased some of those garden hand things to get the grass cuttings off the lawn as after a day or 2 of being there (as it pelted with rain b4 he got to clear the cuttings up) the snakes creep under the heaps of grass as its warm for them

Along the same lines.......

We have just moved into a new house and I am feeling pretty traumatised after coming face to face with the most enormous huntsman I've seen in my 5 years in Australia. We are on acreage and have lots of trees around so I guess spiders are inevitable, but I'd really rather not meet another one like I did today.

Soooo.....would a few of these control bombs be the answer? Or do I look at the indoor and outdoor surface spays? OR do I do both?!!!!

I am completely paranoid at the moment. I thought I had the spider thing under control but honestly, the one tonight just terrified me!! Yes I know they are harmless.......but give me a redback over a huntsman any day of the week!!!!!

Love

Daphne

know how you feel had a huntsman on my patio the other day and only been here 3 and a half weeks completly freeked me out and wasnt even in the house oh is in China so had to get a neighbour (who i know call the spider man) to come round and get it and made sure he didnt let it go near my house!!! Then he told me it was only a baby! It was so big hope i dont see many more of them.. love julie x

Along the same lines.......

We have just moved into a new house and I am feeling pretty traumatised after coming face to face with the most enormous huntsman I've seen in my 5 years in Australia. We are on acreage and have lots of trees around so I guess spiders are inevitable, but I'd really rather not meet another one like I did today.

Soooo.....would a few of these control bombs be the answer? Or do I look at the indoor and outdoor surface spays? OR do I do both?!!!!

I am completely paranoid at the moment. I thought I had the spider thing under control but honestly, the one tonight just terrified me!! Yes I know they are harmless.......but give me a redback over a huntsman any day of the week!!!!!

Love

Daphne

Come on you know better than this. Surface spray around doors and windows will suffice.

I wish I did no better......I never had the house sprayed in 5 years in Sydney and only ever came across 1 huntsman in the time I was there - lots of redbacks, but those were outside and small.

Anyway, we are going to bomb tomorrow and then spray! I was also told to put a bomb in the roof by a friend today as often spiders will come out of your roof space.

D

x

I'd just leave it be!

Seriously, I reckon for every one you see there are heaps you don't, so why go to all that effort?:cutexmas:

I have grown a huuuuge one in my pool cover-lid-thing. I let it live (she's very pretty) but I'm afraid I do get rid of her egg 'balls'. Cruel, but I'm lazy not stupid!

IMHO, I think it's more important to learn where to look out for redbacks - you know, as Giz said, underneath outdoor furntiure, shoes, on bikes etc so you aren't looking for a particular spider, just taking sensible, general precautions.

But if you do decide on killing her, remember that these sprays might not be too good for us humans either, so perhaps use only when necessary? And please, kill them as humanely as poss...no more hairspray Tyke the Merciless!:wisemanxmas:*

LC

* I like the smilie, I am definately NOT calling you a wiseman Tyke! Chortle, lol, rofl, pmsl etc...

Guest kazmatt

Jules x

its ok that you are vegetarian, just dont eat it afterwards, lol.

Guest Guest9973
? And please, kill them as humanely as poss...no more hairspray Tyke the Merciless!:wisemanxmas:*

LC

* I like the smilie, I am definately NOT calling you a wiseman Tyke! Chortle, lol, rofl, pmsl etc...

Awww c'mon - every bit of wild life wants to bite/eat/sting me here.

Even the Koala the other week.

Mind you I did feel bad last night - Someone told me that a fish I was very proud to catch (and eat) was probably older than Little Tyke who is 18:frownxmas:

Reckon you get quite ruthless about using the old Mortein spray in Oz. Here in the UK I go out of my way to rescue spiders no one else will touch and put them outside. But confront me with a redback or a cockroach, never mind a mozzie, in Oz and I turn into a cold blooded killer!

Funnily enough I never minded the huntsmen, found them quite facinating. We had three who lived in a shed and we gave them names to stop the kids being scared of them. Names help!

Deb

Our little redback has gone off to pastures new (& I don't mean the big web in the sky!). We decided to abdicate responsibility, we're in a holiday rental & the caretaker lives next door so we called him over. I saw him with a big can of spray and just thought 'oh well' but he 'rescued it' and released it outside and n the shed around sprayed in the shed around where it had been.

I was actually far more worried when he started spreaying with my five year old in there, than I'd ever been by the spider and pulled him straight out!

I might need a mind adjustment to killing though! My philosophy is if you can hunt and kill it yourself you're welcome to eat it so anyone have any good recipies?? :))

Archived