Where is summer? Been here 10 months and no sign...

buckbuchanan

Been here 10 months now. The day we arrived in Feb was dull and wet. Ok, so it's drier here than in the UK, but there haven't been many days where we have been able to sit outside without being wrapped up. So far we have only sat in the garden 5 times, partly because we have had things on, but also because a lot of the time it's not garden weather. I cycle to work every day and I still wear a fleece, as I have done every day.

It seems that most days it will get warm at some point in time, but normally an hour later it will be cloudy and dull. We have only had 3 days in this time that I would consider as being 'hot'.

We knew that Victoria wasn't great for weather, but we expected a "summer". It's hard to make out what the climate is like from word of mouth because some people's idea of good weather is different from others. The last few months have been awful weather, by anybodys standards, and we are now in mid summer supposedly.

We keep waiting for the sun to shine but looks like it's not going to happen... i'm thinking we need to move further north!!

Unfortunately, that's Melbourne for you. It has the reputation of having all four seasons in one day. Further north (guess you mean Queensland or even Darwin) would be warmer, but also much wetter - being tropical the wet seasons are horrendous. Adelaide and Perth probably have the most dry, warm, sunny days - the temps can get very hot but the humidity is virtually non-existent, like the rain, so it is more bearable.

Been here 10 months now. The day we arrived in Feb...

We knew that Victoria wasn't great for weather, but we expected a "summer".

Erm... summer in Australia runs from December to February (technically!)... so you haven't actually been here for it yet! :biggrin:

So give it another month or two and she'll shine through!

But also as the above poster said... thats Melbourne for you. If you want sun all year round try Darwin!

Good point.... except for the fact that we have been here for most of Feb and would have expected the weather to at least have made some effort to start improving as we are now in Dec. My main point being we have been here 10 months out of 12 and still haven't had any really good weather. We have tried camping twice and have ended up shivering and wet and thoroughly miserable.

I know Melbourne has this reputation, but then some peoples postings make you believe the sun shines all year round, and the 4 seasons in 1 day will only happen on 2 days of the year.

Yeah, thats does suck... maybe its just Melbourne? I'm from Perth but I actually spent this year in the UK and I remember my folks saying something about it being quite a cool winter and quite a bit of rain! But I do remember last Christmas and it was so hot it was uncomfortable! Yuk! It was 44 degrees in Perth on Boxing Day last year and the week prior and following that were all up around the high 30's and 40's... so although you may want to hot weather to kick in I am still quite liking the mildness thats going on right now.

Plus I know Melbs has had some crazy weather this last week... you should come to Perth! Its much nicer here! :yes: I hope it gets more summery for you!

It's a mild La Nina year so you havent exactly had the best of it! As Bexta said, summer only started on Monday so you have a whole 3 months of delight ahead of you (at the end of which you will be bemoaning the 40C weeks I bet!!!) Gosh, is it 10 months already? Time flies!

Guest The Pom Queen

The weather can't be that bad seen as we are in a drought!!

The low rainfall over September-October meant Melbourne’s water storages dropped by 0.3 per cent of total capacity after the dry spell over the major catchments continued. Hence why the Water Board has now moved from Stage 3a restrictions to Target 155.

Last Christmas was a scorcher with New Years Eve being 42 degrees that's 107 f.

Melbourne is known to get 4 seasons in one day, but to be honest I like this. If we were having 40 degree days everday it would become unbearable.

Hopefully the sun will come out for you soon and you can do a bit of sunbathing!!

The weather can't be that bad seen as we are in a drought!!

Well, this is true, but it's the fact that every day is dull and cloudy that I don't like. Although there is 'drought' every day it seems to almost rain!

If we were having 40 degree days everday it would become unbearable.

Even to have one 40 degree day once would be nice!! In fact... to get into the 20's would be nice. As I said... I still wear a fleece every day....

I hope Quoll is right about it being a La Nina year.... this ties in with what some people have said about it being strange weather.

Guest The Pom Queen

You must really feel the cold or live out in the hills, I agree that with the weather one minute it's blue sky next it's grey but it is still warm (not scorching, although I know a family who just got badly burnt on the beach this week), this week as been between 60 - 70 degrees. I have packed the winter coats away now, so fingers crossed!!!

Give it another few weeks and you will be saying it's too hot and you may even start stripping off!!

I think part of the problem is that I work the ground floor of an office block. I don't see the sun and the office is air conditioned. When I leave for work at 6:30am it's cold. When I leave work to head home it's cool (certainly wouldn't call it warm). So in the course of a normal week I don't see any sun. If I then have a few weekends of bad weather then it just seems that the weather is rubbish all the time.

Having said that.... I can say that there have only been a handful of days that I have felt warm, and it seems that weekends since July have been rubbish.

Oooh thats not good :-( perhaps you should move state lol its been roasting here in nsw summer started dec 1st & for the last few months have had hardly any rain & several hot & sticky days

Sure the heat will make it your way soon :-)

Guest The Pom Queen

Ahhh that's why you wear the fleece, I now know why you think it's cold lol. I worked in a veterinary hospital and was always positioned right under the air con unit, so like you I was always in a fleece or body warmer. Poor you, nevermind, keep that chin up the weather will get better they are forecasting us a really hot summer:jiggy:

Here ya go Buchy,

This week in MelbourneThursday :25°CFriday :28°CSaturday :24°CSunday :20°CMonday :22°CTuesday :28°CWednesday :20°C

Looks like you'll be getting atleast 2 days in the next week that are around 28 degrees! I was in the UK for their summer this year and I don't think we even made it to that once! Hope the forecast stays that way for you!

:emoticon-signxmas:

Here ya go Buchy,

This week in MelbourneThursday :25°CFriday :28°CSaturday :24°CSunday :20°CMonday :22°CTuesday :28°CWednesday :20°C

Looks like you'll be getting atleast 2 days in the next week that are around 28 degrees! I was in the UK for their summer this year and I don't think we even made it to that once! Hope the forecast stays that way for you!

:emoticon-signxmas:

Surely thats good enough even for a whinging pom. :tonguexmas:

Guest earlswood
Been here 10 months now. The day we arrived in Feb was dull and wet. Ok, so it's drier here than in the UK, but there haven't been many days where we have been able to sit outside without being wrapped up. So far we have only sat in the garden 5 times, partly because we have had things on, but also because a lot of the time it's not garden weather. I cycle to work every day and I still wear a fleece, as I have done every day.

It seems that most days it will get warm at some point in time, but normally an hour later it will be cloudy and dull. We have only had 3 days in this time that I would consider as being 'hot'.

We knew that Victoria wasn't great for weather, but we expected a "summer". It's hard to make out what the climate is like from word of mouth because some people's idea of good weather is different from others. The last few months have been awful weather, by anybodys standards, and we are now in mid summer supposedly.

We keep waiting for the sun to shine but looks like it's not going to happen... i'm thinking we need to move further north!!

:biglaugh: told ya....The Australian weather is a myth, 2 years in Perth and I have never witnessed sooo much rain…OK it did get unbearably hot for a few weeks but if you are expecting Mediterranean type weather….forget it.

Melbourne is classed as having a 'mediterranean climate'. Some people enjoy that, as there are seasons. (Okay, they do sometimes come in one day!!) It's not cool tonight, even the cicadas are out where I live near the hills in outer eastern Melbourne.

Having said that, the weather around the world has been quite strange due to climate changes which are becoming evident.

Even some friends in Aberdeen Scotland told me that it wasn't as cold there as it was 25 years ago when I was there.

(Not as much snow etc).

Guest tenquidder

And your problem is?

I was back in the UK this May/June, and the temperature was struggling to get over 20 degrees most days, while max. temperatures in Sydney and Melbourne were round about the same. I live in Sydney, but just spent 2 years working in Melbourne. Melbourne weather is quite variable (even more so than Sydney), and you may well get what you you wish for before this summers is over.

Don't be fooled by these figures.... The forecasters predict a Min and Max temp. Yes.... today at some point it may reach 28. It will do this for 30 mins and will then cloud over and drop to 7!! That's my prediction:cryxmas:

I for one won't be going anywhere without a tee shirt and a jacket - got to prepare for all seasons!!

Guest The Pom Queen
Don't be fooled by these figures.... The forecasters predict a Min and Max temp. Yes.... today at some point it may reach 28. It will do this for 30 mins and will then cloud over and drop to 7!! That's my prediction

quote]

You need to get out of the fridge:laugh: This morning at 8am it was 17 degrees (62) Quickly you need to run outside it is blue skies and the current temp is 28 degrees (82) it usually gets warmer around 2pm so it may even tip 30 (86) degrees in a couple of hours. Quick run, you can strip off on your way through the office:biglaugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Um.......do you have short term memory loss?

Here's what happened in Melbourne in March this year - (as taken from the age website)

In Melbourne, a top of 38.4 degrees yesterday helped bring the state's peak energy demand to a record high. A maximum of 33 degrees is forecast today.

The city maximum is then expected to remain in the 20s from tomorrow until at least Easter Monday, with a few showers but no significant rainfall.

Melbourne is also in with a chance to break the 68-year-old record for its hottest March.

The city is averaging 30.7 degrees for the month, and the record is 28.9 degrees. "It's a tough record to break, and the fact that we're in a position to possibly break it is an indication of an exceptional month," said Blair Trewin, climatologist at the weather bureau's National Climate Centre.

Averaging 30.7 for the month doesn't sound cold to me!

Archived