Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Guest beermeister

Someone once said to me that everyone should be forced to go and live in a different country for a few years to make them appreciate what they've really got at home.

I can't believe how true this has become for me.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GoodersGang
OK: I've just deleted over 20 posts on this thread that had nothing to do with the opening post - which was a register of people going back to the UK. I'm not only a moderator but also a member of this site and I would also like to be able to read and contribute to other threads, instead of spending my time deleting squabbles. Can I suggest if members want to slagg each other off they find an alternative way of doing it rather than spoiling threads.

Thanks Ali

what a good idea!!

Does that include everyone??

Guest lovediving

My opinion of my personal situation with a clearer head is that it has been like living in a goldfish bowl here, seeing the world go on around you but trapped in something you dont want to be in.

I think a lot of people want to go home but do not want to give up on the dream as they will feel failure and that is certainly how I feel but I think it is important to note that for some people living in Australia, will work for them.

I spoke to somebody who lives in my building the other day and he told me that almost all of his english friends that he met here have gone home, so whilst somebody will say that 4000 arrive a week and not many go home. Is that 4000 backpackers on a working visa or people living here permanently I wonder.

Guest brucestobrisbane

Hi

Arrived Brisbane Aug 2007, returned to Blighty Feb 2008.

Perhaps should have given it longer, but still no regrets at all, but then don't regret going either...what an experience

Guest kevin747

Arrived with wife and 2 kids on 5/1/2008. Returning to Scotland in March.

Thank God I've a house over there. I would invest nothing in Australia.

We have both reasonable jobs but I honestly find the place intellectuall backward. We have a good life here but it is so dull and unstimulating.

I would be horrified at the thought of my kids being educated here.

The obsession and acceptance of rules is frightening.

Lots of decent folk.More Stepford wives and overstretched wage slaves than I have encountered anywhere

Guest JoanneHattersley

I am presuming that I am in teh minority then. I do less hours than I did in the UK for the same money. OH earns the same but does about 8 hours a week more.

We see each other 500% more than we did in the UK as we are on compatible rosters here.

Guest kevin747

I'm sure for some it haas improved their quality of life/time with family and a lot of people I have met have left decaying parts of the uk. Good luck in that case.

Aussies I work with are extremely financially stretched to the extent that they can never enjoy what they think they are working for in the first place.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Im an old fashioned girl! If I cant afford it, I dont have it!

You have to live to what you can afford, NOT live to what you want.

Theres a BIG difference!

Guest lovediving
Arrived with wife and 2 kids on 5/1/2008. Returning to Scotland in March.

Thank God I've a house over there. I would invest nothing in Australia.

We have both reasonable jobs but I honestly find the place intellectuall backward. We have a good life here but it is so dull and unstimulating.

I would be horrified at the thought of my kids being educated here.

The obsession and acceptance of rules is frightening.

Lots of decent folk.More Stepford wives and overstretched wage slaves than I have encountered anywhere

I have to say, thank you for confirming my thoughts. Good on you, I am so happy now that I am going home. If I wanted to go brain dead I would come here but no I do not so great to see your going back to the living.

Guest kevin747

Good luck love diving.

No offence to johatts, Enjoy what you can afford,you're right.

I'm just glad I can afford to leave.I don't consider the money it has cost to get here wasted.I'll finish off my year and a bit here travelling around the country for two months.

As I said I'm sure it's better here than some parts of the uk and I'm glad I tried it.

I agree with all of you. I'm glad I tried it, at least I know now but it's not for me.

It's interesting to see how many people are returning to the UK. When you read some of the posts on PIO those that don't like it get accused of not trying hard enough or get told that they've gone to the wrong area.

So it's nice to know that we're not alone and we're not crazy for thinking and feeling the way we do!

I'm going home tomorow and I can't wait. I have got a return flight booked in January but I know that I won't be using it!!!

Guest lovediving
I agree with all of you. I'm glad I tried it, at least I know now but it's not for me.

It's interesting to see how many people are returning to the UK. When you read some of the posts on PIO those that don't like it get accused of not trying hard enough or get told that they've gone to the wrong area.

So it's nice to know that we're not alone and we're not crazy for thinking and feeling the way we do!

I'm going home tomorow and I can't wait. I have got a return flight booked in January but I know that I won't be using it!!!

Good luck Jenki and have a good flight.

You are right about what you say that some people respond to your posts with stuff like leave things behind or you have an attitude problem, etc.

There are plenty of people I have heard about that have gone home and not just on this site and their reasons are much the same. There is no joy in living ina community of money country people that will judge you on what you have rather than what you are.

Fact based on my own experience of arriving in the country brought a banger, nobody gave me the time of the day then brought a nice car and then all of a sudden cheesy smiles everywhere.

Going home two weeks time, absolutely cannot wait and am glad I came here and spent my money would not do it again though.

Have ties to the Chanel Islands so am going there and then Europe, England is my oyster.

Good luck Jenki and have a good flight.

You are right about what you say that some people respond to your posts with stuff like leave things behind or you have an attitude problem, etc.

There are plenty of people I have heard about that have gone home and not just on this site and their reasons are much the same. There is no joy in living ina community of money country people that will judge you on what you have rather than what you are.

Fact based on my own experience of arriving in the country brought a banger, nobody gave me the time of the day then brought a nice car and then all of a sudden cheesy smiles everywhere.

Going home two weeks time, absolutely cannot wait and am glad I came here and spent my money would not do it again though.

Have ties to the Chanel Islands so am going there and then Europe, England is my oyster.

Two weeks, wow, that was a quick decision! It's probably better than staying where you're not happy. You must feel so relieved!

I've got to say for me I haven't felt judged by what I've got, I just haven't connected here. I've made friends but I still can't relate. There are just so many points that I don't like here and the distance from friends and family isn't worth it for me!

Although we all speak the same language and they drive on the same side of the road, that's as far as similarities go, there are so many differences.

One major issue for me is the childcare here, that's what I did at home and I know what I want. I just find it all lack structure here and that's not what I want for my kids.

There are more reasons but I'm sure you know them, seeing as you're in the same boat.

Good luck to you though, keep us informed, I'll be back checking in once I'm home!!!

Guest JoanneHattersley

I applaud EVERY one of you that has the courage to stand up and say " you know what....it aint for me!" Good on ya!

Good Luck to all of you with everything that you do!

Guest lovediving

Thank you for saying that as it has not been an easy decision for me.

I spoke to a family member in Jersey tonight who said to me well done for finally realising that it has not worked for you and that because I was so stubborn and did not want to fail that I continued this for no other reason, they know me and know that is the only reason I stayed.

We all deserve happiness in life and if that is in OZ or in the UK I also wish everyone the best of luck.

xx

Guest TheArmChairDetective
I applaud EVERY one of you that has the courage to stand up and say " you know what....it aint for me!" Good on ya!

Good Luck to all of you with everything that you do!

I quite agree, It takes a lot of courage to move anywhere and just as much to admit that it wasn't what you wanted or thought it would be.

Guest hairdresser uk
I quite agree, It takes a lot of courage to move anywhere and just as much to admit that it wasn't what you wanted or thought it would be.

totally agree, having done it myself I would say it is far more daunting and needs more guts than the original plan of moving overseas in the first place.

what doesnt kill you makes you stronger!

Guest Gollywobbler
Dartmouth is where I will retire to....if I have the money.

darte.jpg

Hi Earlswood

I have sailed into Dartmouth on many a yacht.

I think Dartmouth is absolutely lovely. Good choice but thee & me might both need to win the lotto before we could afford to move there!

Cheers

Gill

Guest JoanneHattersley

Ah Gill, there is something about the South west of UK isnt there. Devon, cornwall, somerset........Id find it hard to choose!!!!

I remember going to Somerset and Wookey Hole as a kid. Cheddar Gorge, Glastonbury Abbey......Oh Im reminiscing now!! LOL!

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Hi Earlswood

I have sailed into Dartmouth on many a yacht.

I think Dartmouth is absolutely lovely. Good choice but thee & me might both need to win the lotto before we could afford to move there!

Cheers

Gill

And a few hundred quid for the kokin filter that achieved the colour of that water:twitcy:

Guest earlswood
And a few hundred quid for the kokin filter that achieved the colour of that water:twitcy:

Must be the same filter they use to get you over to Oz...

Thanks for everyone for contributing to this thread. Its important for those who have decided to return home to know they are not failures and they are not alone. Thanks also for the support of those that are happy in Oz but respect our decisions to return and also to the trolls that tried to hijack this thread and showing yourselves up (how do you look now)

Archived