Calling All Lady Drivers living and driving in Australia

Guest crystalrose

Guest crystalrose

Hi Guys:jiggy:

Please could you tell me what it is like to drive on Australian roads. I have only ever driven in the UK and we move to Perth on a 457 visa at the end of December. Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread!!

Well, if you take into account the numpties on the road who tailgate, toot if you are a nanosecond late in taking a risky right turn, undertake and cannot for the life of them work out how to change lanes or go round roundabouts you will be OK. The roads are generally less congested but that often means that people dont know how to behave when they are congested. At least in Perth you wont be worried by the particularly idiosyncratic Melbourne habit of turning right from the left lane!

You do have other things to worry about though - driving at night can be tricky in the outer suburbs/bush because kangaroos have a nasty habit of jumping across the road in front of you (watch out for roadkill because that gives you a hint about where you are likely to encounter wandering wildlife in mid traffic lane!). There are still quite a few unsealed roads once you venture out of the rat race and driving on dirt can be a bit scary the first time - often feels like you are aquaplaning - but if you see another car coming just drive half on the road and half off it so you can both zip past at 100kph.

Oh yes, that is another factor - the speed limits are generally different - 60 or 50 in towns, 80 or 100 or 110 on open roads and school zones are 40 (all km/hr - we dont talk miles here) and variously all day or only for certain hours of the day depending on the state.

Because of the boredom factor - miles and miles of SFA in between cities, you can get tired more easily because there is less going on around you and it is easy to zzzz off so be sure to rest and revive often (2 hours max usually).

Really, it's a doddle if you can drive in UK and someone not used to traffic free roads may think all their Christmases have come at once.

Hi Crystalrose.

I love driving in Oz. Simple as that! It's easy cos most of the junctions are governed by traffic lights and takes all the guesswork out of it. Yes you do get complete and utter idiots who drive like maniacs, but you can't do anything about them, so best to just tolerate them really.

I find sticking to the speed limit is a lot easier to do here as well.

Driving at night can be strange here cos there isn't a great deal of streetlighting. Well here in Melbourne anyway.

It was one of the things I was dreading most about living here after reading post after post about bad driving. I think you just need to be a bit more alert and assertive and you'll be fine.

T xx

Guest spottymercedes
Hi Guys, Please could you tell me what it is like to drive on Australian roads. I have only ever driven in the UK and we move to Perth on a 457 visa at the end of December. Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

I'd say driving here was pretty similar to the Uk, but the Aussies are quite rude. In the Uk you would let people out before turning in, and let people go across if they are in a tricky place where it is busy and generally be courteous to other drivers. In Oz it seems to be each man or woman for themselves. We have had several people steal our car park space from under our nose without even batting an eyelid. :arghh:They never ever let you out even if they have to wait ages before turning in, and the one which gets me the most is if there are school kids on their way to or from school, you would expect people to let them cross the busy road, but no not here, they just ignore them and keep driving. :no: I was quite scared to drive here because I found people so rude, but am getting used to it now. I was letting people out and then wondering why they didn't say thanks, but now I've got to the point where I wonder if I should bother being polite or just drive on past.

I guess its something you get used to, but I found it pretty shocking at first.

Hi there,

I'd say driving here was pretty similar to the Uk, but the Aussies are quite rude. In the Uk you would let people out before turning in, and let people go across if they are in a tricky place where it is busy and generally be courteous to other drivers. In Oz it seems to be each man or woman for themselves. We have had several people steal our car park space from under our nose without even batting an eyelid. :arghh:They never ever let you out even if they have to wait ages before turning in, and the one which gets me the most is if there are school kids on their way to or from school, you would expect people to let them cross the busy road, but no not here, they just ignore them and keep driving. :no: I was quite scared to drive here because I found people so rude, but am getting used to it now. I was letting people out and then wondering why they didn't say thanks, but now I've got to the point where I wonder if I should bother being polite or just drive on past.

I guess its something you get used to, but I found it pretty shocking at first.

I agree with you Marie and they are even worse when it's wet, quite scarey when they are on your tail and you have the kids in.

I agree with you Marie and they are even worse when it's wet, quite scarey when they are on your tail and you have the kids in.

Yep, they can't drive for toffee when it rains. They have their windscreen wipers going ten to the dozen at the first couple of spots.

T xx

Guest angiebabe

Be nice if they indicate now and again to let us know which way they are going...the driving here just seems so random...no politeness and if you do try to let someone turn right they just sit and look at you...Ooohh and if you leave a cars length Gap between you and the driver in front, you can almost guarantee someone will whip in there...:arghh:

I am interested to know what you are doing when you stop to let them turn right and they just look at you. If I was turning right and you were going straight through the intersection from a stop sign or a give way sign or if you were turning left I would not move I would look at you.

As long as you have no problem with people jumping in the gap leave a gap and drop back.

If people are hell bent on driving in the outside lane slow pass them on the inside. We are not supposed to do it but everyone does.

In Melbourne in the rush hour it can be quite hairy and if you are a nervous driver very hairy fortunately I am not a nervous driver and I have driven here for 30 odd years so does not bother me.

Once you get used to the fact that everyone hates you when they are in their car it gets better and we all think we are super drivers and look at that idiot etc etc. :wubclub:

Guest angiebabe

OK..if traffic is built up in front of me and lights ahead are on red and i know i cant go anywhere, so out of politeness i slow down or stop to let you who is wanting to turn right and had probably sat there for some time....you are saying you would just sit there and look at me????

I leave a gap as i want a safe driving distance from the person in front of me...i don't expect people to just jump in it with very little or no warning :skeptical:

I still don't get it if the light is red where is the person turning right from? You just have to go with the flow and don't get upset because if you do and you lived here in Melbourne you would be angry all the time. So you just let them push in drop back but if you leave gaps expect them to jump in. We are always looking for a gap in heavy traffic. At least its not as bad as China and Asia.:wubclub:

Hi Guys:jiggy:

Please could you tell me what it is like to drive on Australian roads. I have only ever driven in the UK and we move to Perth on a 457 visa at the end of December. Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

hi

i live in perth and generally what the others have said stands true for perth...

generally most roads are 70k speed dropping to 50 in a built up area and the main freeways are 100k

on large highways and freeways where roads have more than one carriageway then be prepared for over and UNDER taking

i feel you need to be quite aggressive as you need to 'get in' a lane and no one lets you!!! lol.

only u turn where you are told to do so or else if caught a fine a points.

double points on special days (called demerit points) if speeding

alot of speeding is caught via radar gun... BUT in order to get you they have to catch you at the seen of the crime... so if you are pulled over you are got!!!... most radio stations tell you where guns are.

normal perminent cameras you will receive your fine etc in the post.

STOP at a stop sign or else you will be fined if caught

if turning out of a junction onto a duel carriageway right you can go half way then wait to get into your lane of traffic...however if someone wants to turn from the other lane and cut across you they have right of way.

more traffic lights than roundabouts... and on big roads you will be warned by flashing lights that you will need to stop soon...if they are changing.

if in slip road turning right at traffic light (to cut across other traffic in opposite direction) you can go when arrow is green... you can still go if arrow is no longer evident...at your own risk ...but you must stop when it is red..

there are probably loads of other little differences that i can't think of right now...but in general its fun to drive here...you'll soon get used to it!!... and best of all it's on the right side for us as well...which helps!!

min x:wubclub:

Anngiebabe i know what you mean i think. It is usually on a busy road when the side road (where the person is waiting to turn right is)is opposite a gap in the middle of the busy road (which you are on) and the person turning right wants to get to the middle of the busy road to go the opposite direction to the way you are heading!! Phew i wish you could draw what you meant!!

I used to slow down to try and let them turn out too but given up on it because they just are not used to it and dont realize that you have slowed down for them.

What makes me laugh is when i go through Bayswater town centre at the limit of 60k and then it turns to 80k and i speed up but the person behind me in the middle lane was speeding anyway and hadnt quite caught up so then gets a shock when i speed up to 80k and he/she deparatley speeds to get in front of me into the inside lane when often there will be no traffic behind me and they could quite as easily get in behind instead-crazy:shocked:

to the OP- not driving really but be warned not to park in opposite direction of traffic and do not park in front of a driveway and that includes your own! Clearway signs are also ones to look out for. You are free to park at certain times but usually cant when it is peak traffic.

Guest angiebabe
Anngiebabe i know what you mean i think. It is usually on a busy road when the side road (where the person is waiting to turn right is)is opposite a gap in the middle of the busy road (which you are on) and the person turning right wants to get to the middle of the busy road to go the opposite direction to the way you are heading!! Phew i wish you could draw what you meant!!

I used to slow down to try and let them turn out too but given up on it because they just are not used to it and dont realize that you have slowed down for them.

Thank you..:notworthy: it is common courtesy in the UK to let people turn right, not just block them!! and to always say thank you with a little wave of the hand or a flash of the lights....i am not complaining about the driving here as i am trying to fit in with what the ozzies do...but i am just giving some differences as that's what the OP was asking!!

I found that the South Western Highway between Perth and Bunbury was very boring! Long and boring! Saying that, the speed limit was slightly higher, there were no traffic lights and there was hardly any traffic!!! Wouldn't like to breakdown in some places though at night as it's a tad dark! (I mean, not so much street lighting). We didn't see any kangaroos on the road, but were wary of them possibly being in the roads!

We found the freeways to be okay. Drivers seemed to travel at the correct speed with just some young boy racers nipping in between cars. (Not that much different to round here). I quite enjoyed driving there, (well, I had to as hubby injured himself body-boarding and I had to take him to the hospital - he couldn't drive after that for almost 2 weeks!!).

The worse part is understanding which lanes you have to be in. We took our Sat Nav and that helped.

Trace

I understand and no I would not go through because I would not want to block the traffic unless I was sure that the lane I was turning into was clear. As people don't like being blocked when the light turns green.

As someone else says you have to be a bit aggressive as no-one lets people in. I do but I am different and you can see the people grimacing in the mirror.

One thing I don't like is the big truck on the freeway in my back seat that is what it looks like and nowhere to go.

I also always look in the mirror when the light turns red to make sure they are stopping and if they look like they are flying I keep going.

Guest crystalrose

Hi Guys

Goodness thank you all for your wonderful replies to this thread. They have have been really interesting and informative, I have totally loved reading single one. I do feel I have a little more confidence to face the new driving challenges that lie ahead in Perth. Basically sounds like driving in London every man or woman for their self!!!:spinny:

Archived