fitting in and making friends in oz,

Dawny

Hi all i'm hoping someone who has made the move to oz,may be able to shed some light on making new friends, we read somewhere that the agency you go with for imergration can help you find contact places and get togethers once you have settled down in your new home, In the uk stay at home mums contacts are mostly through schools, and workers in the work place! or failing that neighbours etc, are australians that easy to befriend for our sakes as well as our childrens, or does it depend on the areas you live,

any information would be good

cheers john:chatterbox:

Guest moonraker1961

I found it better to make friends in a small country town.I have lived in the "burbs"and found it fairly hard to get a feel for community if that makes sense?I guess it also depends if you join groups/clubs ect,if your kids are still at school and so on?

Hi, it can be difficult at first. The Aussies are friendly but of course many are already established in thier social circle i think this is why many people probably find it easier to make friends with like minded brits who are also relocating and looking for friends. Certainly a good way of meeting anyone weather oz or other is through work/schools/kids clubs etc.

Guest jewels1356

i think its up to indivuals and the places they are living in it does take a long time to become established you just have to like each others company for a while

julie

xx

I think about this quite often. Im quite a shy person so wonder how long it will take me to make friends. I think you sometimes need to step out of your comfort zone, if you get invited somewhere go even if you dont know the people really well. Will you be working over there? i think work friends are the easiest to make in the first instance then you can spread your wings wider. Im sure you will be fine once your there. Em x

I think about this quite often. Im quite a shy person so wonder how long it will take me to make friends. I think you sometimes need to step out of your comfort zone, if you get invited somewhere go even if you dont know the people really well. Will you be working over there? i think work friends are the easiest to make in the first instance then you can spread your wings wider. Im sure you will be fine once your there. Em x

hi i will be a stay at home mum for a while, but yes you are right, it is what you do your self to make friends, we are an easy going bunch here so hopefully we will just be able to throw ourselves into it, thanks for your kind words:jiggy:

If you have children I think its quite easy even for sahm. They are usually the backbone of the school and kinder systems and do lots of stuff and meet people that way.

Even Aus women feel isolated when they leave work and have a child and are at home all day because if its their first often their friends may still work or not have children so they have the same problem of making friends with women with children and interests.

Throughout life we make friends and lose friends for some reason or other and me I have a few close friends who have been friends for life but many others who have come into my life and left because we do not live nearby anymore.

Community houses are around and they different classes and offer child care and if you want to paint, do patchwork or just go for a walk there are groups to do this.

Netball is a favourite with lots of Aussi mums as is tennis.

Just go along and even if you are shy there will be someone just like you who will gravitate to you.

Good luck.

Don't sit in the house get out and about even if its only a walk. A little dog is handy everyone talks to people walking dogs.

:smile:

Guest mollyflanders

I have been here nearly a year and so far have not made any real friends, neighbours are chatty in my complex but they have their own circle of friends, i would just love to have someone you can drop by for aa natter and a cuppa and for them to do the same with me, but drawn more or less a blank so far................i live in hope

Guest taffy 62
I found it better to make friends in a small country town.I have lived in the "burbs"and found it fairly hard to get a feel for community if that makes sense?I guess it also depends if you join groups/clubs ect,if your kids are still at school and so on?

Hi Dawn.

I agree with Moonraker totaly.

I made friends realy quick in a small country town, even through just being a regular customer in a shop! people strike up conversations more.

I am finding in the "burbs" I feel like a little fish in a big ocean! and I have found it hard to make friends as people keep to themselves.

If you get involved in the school or your kids sport things you will soon make friends. My kids have left home so this option is not availabe to me.

It does depend on your "stage n life" as to how hard or easy it will be. but even at the hardest it can still work and you can make friends and establish yourself but it will take longer.

Some communities have what they call newcomers clubs where you can go and meet people in the same situation as yourself, as then you can make friends as you can relate to each other.

I also think that people are different in different parts of Oz so you need to do a couple of moves before you find your niche. :smile:

Guest Sam&Si

quote=mollyflanders;314875]I have been here nearly a year and so far have not made any real friends, neighbours are chatty in my complex but they have their own circle of friends, i would just love to have someone you can drop by for aa natter and a cuppa and for them to do the same with me, but drawn more or less a blank so far................i live in hope

Hi Mollyflanders,

What a shame, hopefully one of the PIO members might live near you and I'm sure a cuppa can be sorted out no problem - where about's in Oz are you?

x

Guest Scott Family

As we are on our way in 7 weeks this has been something i have been thinking about recently as in the UK we tend to have a small circle of really good friends and then a wider circle of aquaintances. It is the good friends who we will miss and it is hoping we will be able to find similar people in our new home. I suppose as someone said earlier in the post you have to force yourself into these situations and then also accept that not everyone will be your cup of tea but sooner or later someone will be.

Mollyflanders if you are in the hills area in sydney then i will come round for a coffee!

Kate x

Guest guest12791
sorry scottfamily I am in queensland....just a wee bit far away from sydney

Hi mollyflanders, we were in carindale last year for four months, i too missed having a coffee with friends, after hitting lodsa problems we headed home to yorkshire! we are hoping to be back in brisbane maybe in january so keep in touch it would be great to meet up and go shopping,

annemarie x

Hi Annemarie and Mollyflanders

We'll be heading out around the same time as you, Annemarie (all being well!) we're not that far from Wakefield where we live now.

Hope all goes well for you and you might have to keep that kettle boiling for when I get there girls lol !!

Sue xx

I think when you have children it is far easier to make friends through schools, kinders etc.

We have been here over a year now and have made many friends both POMS and Aussies. Having said that we do have more Aussie friends than POMS which is funny cos most of our POM friends tend to stick with POMS!!

Now I am not saying that we have more friends here than in the UK because of course we dont however we are always doing something at the weekends with various friends we have made. Infact when we do have a free weekend its quite nice to just chill!! lol

As hard as it is starting up new friendships you do have to put yourself out there.

Good luck to you all and Molly if you were down this way then you would be more than welcome to pop in for a cuppa!!

Deb xx

Guest mollyflanders
Hi mollyflanders, we were in carindale last year for four months, i too missed having a coffee with friends, after hitting lodsa problems we headed home to yorkshire! we are hoping to be back in brisbane maybe in january so keep in touch it would be great to meet up and go shopping,

annemarie x

will look forward to you and others coming over and kettle will be on

keep in touch

One cranky pom and molly flanders

where are you both living because i am sure there are friends to be made (even ones off here looking for friends).

I think PIO should set up a matchmaking service for anyone to look and see who is in what area and maybe message them. You wouldnt have to tell anyone publicly where you lived if you didnt want but the general suburb would be good then people can meet others who generallly do live round the corner and meet for coffees and chinwags more easily instead of having to gallavant all over Brisbane to meet friends. It would be a bit like when you are looking for a house to rent and you just click on an area and everything comes up.

I am waffling i know but i think its a brill idea.

ta ra:chatterbox:

Archived