How Many Poms Return to UK

Guest Aldo

Reading this forum it would seem that us Poms returning to the UK are a minority. Does anyone know if there are any "official" statistics to confirm/refute this?

• 3 weeks later...

While you're waiting for UK figures, approximately 30,000 people move from NZ to Oz each year and approx 8,000 move back home again each year. I don't have figures about how long they stay or how many move back again. :spinny:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Aldo

I concur with Ozboy.

I don't know the exact percentage but I've read claims of 40%. That sounds too high to me and I think it is a misquote. I think the 40% could be a reference to the idea that a significant proportion of migrants who do not stay in Oz leave within 2 years of arrival.

I've also heard that a high proportion of those who do not stay in Oz are Brits because we have a much higher standard of living in the UK than is the case with emerging countries. If the Aussie Dream doesn't work out, coming home will not be a disaster. Plus we have less of a "grin and bear it" culture than people from, say, China. It could be that statistically Brits have higher expectations of Oz than people from many other cultures. I think there are probably lots of different factors involved.

DIAC and other Government agencies in Oz do keep fairly detailed stats about this topic. Some of the figures can be accessed via the link below. I think there are State figures as well and also they look very closely at the cost of providing health care for the migrant intake, for instance. (Plus education, social security etc I imagine.) I suspect that a statistician in Oz will never be short of a job!

Overseas Arrivals and Departures Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

Cheers

Gill

And dont forget to include the Poms who would love to go home but cant! I meet more and more Poms who have been long term expats here and the older they get the more they want to go home. So many of them bemoan the fact that they didnt go when they could have done so more easily and now they are stuck here. So add them to the 40% or whatever!

You still leaving Paradise then?

Define "Paradise" then Tim.That depends.

When I return to Scotland next week,I'm going to get a big palm tree in the garden and get a spa installed,so that I can skate on it in winter when it freezes over no doubt...!!!:biglaugh:

Guest jollyroger

In my short experience of Oz most poms over here like it.

Although I've only been here 6 weeks now I can understand why someone would want to go back to Britain.

I can only speak for Brisbane,but I think that this place is very dated and dull,just my opinion.

We will give it 2 years,we always said it would,but something will have to drastically change if I will spend the rest of my days here.

The weather's good and that's about it for me,everything else is under par,from shops to houses.

Like I say just my honest opinion for all it's worth.

Guest YellowGecko

I feel for the people who give up everything in the UK to move over here; find they have no Australian Dream once arriving, and then find themselves stuck in a rut and homesick, here. I suppose people always try to leave the Motherland still leaving a door open for them there, should things not work out in Oz. But for some, it's a sad story.

But it's admirable these people did give it a shot, at least. Tis a big thing to go and do!

Although I've only been here 6 weeks now I can understand why someone would want to go back to Britain.

I can only speak for Brisbane,but I think that this place is very dated and dull,just my opinion.

We will give it 2 years,we always said it would,but something will have to drastically change if I will spend the rest of my days here.

The weather's good and that's about it for me,everything else is under par,from shops to houses.

HI as a matter of interest to me whereabouts in North Brisbane are you?

Maybe try a different part of the country, Sydney or Melbourne are very different from Brisbane, don't try Perth or Adelaide, because if you find Brisbane dated and dull you will find those cities the same.

About a year ago someone on here put a link to a british tabloid which stated in the report that 70% of the british pop who leave the UK permanently eventually return.

Didn't say how these stats were obtained and didn't say how long you had to be out of the country before you were deemed to be an intended permanent leaver?

Anyway whether its 30% or 70% its still a significant number of disappointed people?

Guest jollyroger
HI as a matter of interest to me whereabouts in North Brisbane are you?

Hi there,

Were in Bray park at the moment in a nice quiet estate and nice house.

I like the location of where we live,It's just the place in general,work, shops,cars and the way things are handled,for example we've had promises of returned phone calls regarding car insurance and driving license enquiries and none have been returned,these may seem like small things but they are important to us trying to settle and get on over here.

Like I say very under par.

Archived