Can you recommend a suburb near Armadale pls?

Guest rainbow

Guest rainbow

We are moving from the UK to Perth in a few months time. My job is in Armadale, and we would need to look for accomodation.

My preference is not to live in Armadale itself because I want some distance between work and home. Something within a 30 minute commute would be nice.

DH doesn't like the flies and mossies.Staying beside the water isn't important, but if that is the best way to avoid the flies, we will seriously consider that option although it may mean higher rents.

Our daughter is only 2, so school is not an issue yet. Although it would be nice to stay in a suburb with good schools so that we don't have to move again in 2 years time when she starts, or even if we have to move again, we won't have to move too far from where we've settled.

We're Chinese by ethnicity, so anywhere that is multiethnic would be fine too.

I will be the only breadwinner, DH is a stay-at-home dad, so a mid-priced suburb which is safe would be ideal. We're not too keen on somewhere too expensive and posh.

That is just the ideal, and we will compromise. Any suggestions are most welcome. I've been to some of the online real estate sites, but it is really difficult to get a feel for the areas from them.

A big thanks in advance to any response!

Personally, I wouldn't live in Armadale itself, there is a lot of low cost housing there. Some of the surrounding suburbs such as Mount Nasura and Roleystone are nice, Forrestfield, southern River. I live in Leeming and work in Armadale and it's a 20 min journey. There are a number of nice suburbs surrounding Leeming such as Willeton, Jandakot, Canningvale.

Have you looked at the site - www.aussiemove.com which has a map and list of suburbs?

Ali

Guest rainbow

Thanks for the helpful response Ali.

It's directed our search towards some specific suburbs. I've been to the aussiemove website and others, but always found it hard to know which are the nicer suburbs as we only have the property prices and crime statistics to go by.

Thanks once again!

Guest rainbow
From page 3 onwards are the houses for rent near Armadale

There seems a lot of houses for rent in the area, nearly 70 of them?

Thanks for the link Brickie. We're trying not to live in Armadale itself, but your link will be helpful when looking at other suburbs.

Until you get here and have a good look around it's hard to get a feel for things. Leeming where we live, wasn't even on our list of suburbs, but we got a 12 week furnished rental here when we arrived (organised in UK) and felt right at home. There's a new suburb called Harrisdale, which comes under Armadale city which is new, also lost of building work in Byford which is 'up the road' from Armadale.

Ali

Guest rainbow
Until you get here and have a good look around it's hard to get a feel for things. Leeming where we live, wasn't even on our list of suburbs, but we got a 12 week furnished rental here when we arrived (organised in UK) and felt right at home. There's a new suburb called Harrisdale, which comes under Armadale city which is new, also lost of building work in Byford which is 'up the road' from Armadale.

Ali

Thanks for the additional info Ali. Nice to hear that you were lucky in finding a suburb you liked.

Like you say, best to have a good look around. We're trying to do whatever homework we can in advance and won't want to commit to anything too long-term until we can have a good look-see in person. There are too many horror stories in this site of others who have rented merely from the internet description, only to have major regrets.

Beelier is another suburb which is basically at the end of Armadale Road. People I work with who live locally, don't live in Armadale itself, more on the outskirts. There are a lot of new builds happening in Armadale which can be a bit deceptive. There are some nice houses being built in Seville Grove too. Like anywhere, there are good and bad parts to suburbs. Bibra Lake was a suburb we were really interested in before we moved, but when we drove around it, despite it being a lovely place ... there were massive electricity pylons near some of the houses, which just put us off.

Good luck with the hunting ...

Guest rainbow

Hi Ali,

Thanks for the additional info. We will check out Beelier and Seville Grove too.

If there were only a "trip advisor" for suburbs, with a no holds barred reviews of pluses and minuses. But you've given us great starting points for the hunt! Cheers.

Guest emi-great

Roleystone is lovely we have friends there they moved 10 years ago intending to live near the sea but fell in love with Roleystone & have lived there ever since. Its a very pretty place with nice school

Eve

www.emi-great.com

Guest rainbow

Thanks everyone for the additional tips. Can I share a useful site I've just found: Tips on choosing a suburb in Perth, Australia In the links, this person has even helpfully ordered the suburbs in order of assaults and burglaries, and has some info on the commutes. He even goes to the supermarts to have a feel for the people living in the suburbs, All this is doing my head in - TMI - I think we'll just really have to get there to have a feel of things and go with our gut instinct.

Sharon - Pardon my nosiness - when will you be in Perth?

We will hopefully be there by the Australian summer / British winter- I know DH is going to be Mr Grouch cos of the heat and he is already complaining about the flies before we are there...definately have to look for an airconditioned place and start practising our Aussie wave.

For those who are already there - just how bad are the flies, esp in the Hills?

are we really going to need em mal?

There is an article in the west ( newspaper ) that communities in the hills have a lot of power cuts i mean inhills kally is not really hills we have some mates in jane brook who go to the kalamunda inn might see you in there

Malx

aka BIlly NM

We only drove through quickly but Mt Nasura looks nice and Kalamunda. Kelmscott has pretty impressive schools and is not far at all. It looked OK to us but we don't live there.

hi mal, done deal, SOUNDS GOOD...you can tell hubby where the he can get a cold pint!! lol

hi rainbow we are hoping this year , just waiting for the powers that be to give us a c/o we front loaded our meds in june so when we get the nod we will try for as soon as, fingers crossed. so will you be joining us for this pint? what about the kalamunda hotel for a pio meet in the new year?

Guest rainbow
hi mal, done deal, SOUNDS GOOD...you can tell hubby where the he can get a cold pint!! lol

hi rainbow we are hoping this year , just waiting for the powers that be to give us a c/o we front loaded our meds in june so when we get the nod we will try for as soon as, fingers crossed. so will you be joining us for this pint? what about the kalamunda hotel for a pio meet in the new year?

Should I *dodge* or catch the kanga snags?

Hi Sharon

Good luck with the wait. Hopefully it won't be for too long more...

I won't mind joining in a PIO meet if you will accept a non-PIO there

I have a confession - I can never ever be a PIO! We are actually singaporean chinese, and have been in the UK for the past 3 years. I'm quite fond of the UK, and it will always hold a special place in my heart cos my daughter was born here. She is a CBeebies addict and I think we will need the Beebs iplayer to tide her through any withdrawal symptoms LOL.

We are moving partly because we hope to be nearer my parents in Singapore, and also hopefully provide our daughter with a better lifestyle and more options in the future. We are also hoping for her to be raised in a more cosmopolitan environement. Now that we are nearly there, Hubby and I are actually rather ambivalent /reluctant to go...But I guess cold feet is pretty normal! We are hoping this would be our final move.

Should I *dodge* or catch the kanga snags?

Hi Sharon

Good luck with the wait. Hopefully it won't be for too long more...

I won't mind joining in a PIO meet if you will accept a non-PIO there

I have a confession - I can never ever be a PIO! We are actually singaporean chinese, and have been in the UK for the past 3 years. I'm quite fond of the UK, and it will always hold a special place in my heart cos my daughter was born here. She is a CBeebies addict and I think we will need the Beebs iplayer to tide her through any withdrawal symptoms LOL.

We are moving partly because we hope to be nearer my parents in Singapore, and also hopefully provide our daughter with a better lifestyle and more options in the future. We are also hoping for her to be raised in a more cosmopolitan environement. Now that we are nearly there, Hubby and I are actually rather ambivalent /reluctant to go...But I guess cold feet is pretty normal! We are hoping this would be our final move.

Sorry but beeb iplayer does not play over here

Malx

Guest rainbow

No iplayer! I'm gutted! I've just popped over to their website - and sadly it is true. Thanks for letting us know. We may stock up on some CBeebies DVDs before going over.

No iplayer! I'm gutted!

I'm curious - couldn't we just log onto the Beeb's website and then their iplayer if we have broadband?

BBC iPlayer - Home

I've put the link here - could you pretty pleeez try it and let me know? Thanks!

Ive tried it before oz tv is pants but it does not work lke a lot of the sport vids I tried to watch match of the daybut:cry:

Malx

Archived