Suddenly scared!

Pommiecate

Just looking for some reassurance I guess. Been here in Oz for almost 20 years, had a fab time, but wanted to come back since 2011 when my mum died.

We have sold house and all our stuff and suddenly I realise how many friend etc we have here and having huge what have we done moments.

My heart really does want to go home to be with dad while I still have him. I remember feeling like this when we came out here. 

Arghhghghgh ! Some virtual handholding appreciated! Xxx

2 hours ago, Pommiecate said:

Just looking for some reassurance I guess. Been here in Oz for almost 20 years, had a fab time, but wanted to come back since 2011 when my mum died.

We have sold house and all our stuff and suddenly I realise how many friend etc we have here and having huge what have we done moments.

My heart really does want to go home to be with dad while I still have him. I remember feeling like this when we came out here. 

I assume you've got your citizenship organised?  So you can always come back again.  As you say, you need to be with your dad while you still have him.  Who knows how long that will be -- I'm sure you don't want to think about that at the moment, but there will come a time when your dad's not there any more, and you'll be able to come back to Australia.  Maybe it won't be till your retirement, but since you've lived in Australia for more than 20 years, you'll have your superannuation and your Australian pension waiting for you. 

Plan your stay in the UK with that in mind.  Keep in touch with your Aussie friends on social media.  You have to be where you have to be.

• Like 2

Good luck! If it works you win, and if it doesn’t, you cut your losses. I will say that being there for my elderly parents was the best move I ever made. Australia isn’t going anywhere if you decide that you don’t belong in U.K. any more.  I’m just back for a holiday and I’ve already encountered some really lovely people - I miss that in Australia.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pommiecate said:

Arghhghghgh ! Some virtual handholding appreciated! Xxx

I think we all wobble a bit moving in either direction, it’s natural. But I moved back to the uk in 2018 after 13 years in Australia and I am fine with it. 😊 although family wasn’t a factor.

Nowhere is utopia these days, niggles all over, you just need to prioritise the best decision for you, now. As said above you can always return to Australia in time. Sometimes different places are better at different stages. Go with it, enjoy the time with your Dad.

@Quoll I hope you haven’t been washed away on your visit. It’s teaming down ooop north!

• Like 1

What’s brilliant here is that you have choices. So many people don’t, so that’s a good thing to focus on. 

I love the expression “it’s better to regret something you did than something you did not do” and in this case, going and spending time with dad whilst you can does seem like one of those things you could struggle with forever if you don’t. 

I think it’s very normal in your situation to feel this apprehension.  You aren’t running from a situation you hate, it sounds like your life in Australianis pretty good and I think anyone would be tormented a little bit by the concern that it may not work out. 

But because you do have choice, you can head back again if it turns out the U.K. isn’t for you. Knowing that takes the severity of the risk right down. So I say have confidence and conviction and crack on!  

Wishing you the very best of luck in this next phase of your life.  

• Like 3

Thankyou all for your kind words. I have been back every year for the last 3 for a month visit to see if that was enough. The crying over leaving again was a torment. 

I know there will be some that say I am mad, but they are usually the ones that have never left home! 

I’ll keep u all posted! Xxx

• Like 4

On 22/05/2024 at 23:18, Pommiecate said:

Thankyou all for your kind words. I have been back every year for the last 3 for a month visit to see if that was enough. The crying over leaving again was a torment. 

I know there will be some that say I am mad, but they are usually the ones that have never left home! 

I’ll keep u all posted! Xxx

I hear you about the crying.  Yesterday I was on the train from London up to Peterborough and I looked out of the window at the countryside of Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire flashing by and I nearly cried tbh - it was just the familiarity and beauty of being in the right place!  I always cry when I leave Heathrow - quite disconcerting for neighbouring passengers sometimes.

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

I hear you about the crying.  Yesterday I was on the train from London up to Peterborough and I looked out of the window at the countryside of Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire flashing by and I nearly cried tbh - it was just the familiarity and beauty of being in the right place!  I always cry when I leave Heathrow - quite disconcerting for neighbouring passengers sometimes.

I'm with you on that one, always used to cry when I left LHR.

When I flew home last year I think I freaked out the girl next to me on the flight out of Perth - I cheered (quietly) as we took off, then burst into tears at LHR. She was really concerned till I said they were simply tears of joy!!

• Like 1

Glad I am not the only crazy crying Pom lol. I feel so much better hearing this. Thankyou all, Quoll I followed your journey from ages ago and literally cheered when u got home!

Not long to go now!