Uk to Brisbane area

10 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I did see in the headlines earlier (when I was reading about the 70 year old lady who was stabbed in the car park in Brisbane for her car by a 16 year old)

2 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I’m reading about petty crime, car thefts and break-ins, the more wary I’m becoming.

1 hour ago, Simontucks said:

As Cheery has stated the increase in crime in the area is a slight concern. I can see the way the UK is going and am surprised how bad it's getting in Queensland.

To put the handbrake on this, not in anyone's wildest imagination is the crime in Queensland as bad, or even remotely as bad, as in the UK. Everyone is talking about the grandma stabbing at the moment because people are genuinely shocked. We're not used to seeing that level of violence directed at vulnerable members of society. It totally goes against everything Australians value. To be honest, if you're moving to Brisbane I'd be far more concerned about being run over by a 16 year-old on an eScooter than stabbed by one.

Edited by InnerVoice
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

To put the handbrake on this, not in anyone's wildest imagination is the crime in Queensland as bad, or even remotely as bad, as in the UK. Everyone is talking about the grandma stabbing at the moment because people are genuinely shocked. We're not used to seeing that level of violence directed at vulnerable members of society. It totally goes against everything Australians value. To be honest, if you're moving to Brisbane I'd be far more concerned about being run over by a 16 year-old on an eScooter than stabbed by one.

Hmm yeah well we would have to drill down into the stats to see about that I think. I know you like a statistic! Bear in mind I’m in Scotland which has about half the crime rate of England. We have drugs problems here but apart from that I don’t see a lot of actual crime. We’re generally a placid bunch until you poke the bear!! 

Breaking and entering to steal cars just isn’t really a ‘thing’ here. In fact, joy riding of any description kind of went out of fashion about 20 years ago. It does still happen but it’s isolated/rare. Another thing we don’t really do is drink and drive which I know is a bigger issue over there too. It’s partly cultural differences I think. 

It’s probably easy to get wrapped in your own ‘bubble’ and not realise things are happening in both places. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I love this reply👍👍.....some positivity and just what I wanted to hear🙏

I think we are probably just picking up on negative stories and noticing them more due to our imminent moves. Yep,everywhere has their bad eggs,even here in Wales lol!.time to come off social media I think 🫣👍

Edited by Simontucks
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The search I did it looks to be around 7900 per 100K. So similar to England worse than Scotland.  Not all crime is equal though is it, so would require more digging into. It's not Ciudad Jaurez though so don't stress about it!!

Edited by bluequay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Hmm yeah well we would have to drill down into the stats to see about that I think. I know you like a statistic! Bear in mind I’m in Scotland which has about half the crime rate of England. We have drugs problems here but apart from that I don’t see a lot of actual crime. We’re generally a placid bunch until you poke the bear!! 

Breaking and entering to steal cars just isn’t really a ‘thing’ here. In fact, joy riding of any description kind of went out of fashion about 20 years ago. It does still happen but it’s isolated/rare. Another thing we don’t really do is drink and drive which I know is a bigger issue over there too. It’s partly cultural differences I think. 

It’s probably easy to get wrapped in your own ‘bubble’ and not realise things are happening in both places. 

The car-jacking thing has been getting bigger in SEQ for the last 4-5 years, and becoming increasingly violent. Stealing cars from homes, breaking in to steal keys for cars parked in driveways (remember the British lady fatally stabbed in her home on the Sunshine Coast?), people are often assaulted during car thefts in car parks, though rarely reported as much as the fatal case this week. Police I worked with each day said its a huge issue among teens - both SEQ born & bred, and those who have moved there from elsewhere. Many of my colleagues drove home with car doors firmly locked, an a constant alertness when stopped at lights - and we were based in north Brisbane, not one of the "worst" areas.

It goes alongside the other big issues with teenage/young drivers of having access to cars that are too powerful, driving under the influence of drugs/drink, and being egged on by their passengers. By the time I left work last year, it was incredibly rare that we got through the night without seeing firefighters somewhere in the State dispetched to at least one car full of teens wrapped around a powerpole /tree, or rolled off the road, usually with at least one fatality or serious injury.  Sadly it got to the point where those jobs became routine and almost ceased to shock. Many youngsters, especially in the more remote areas, learn to drive on properties as soon as they can reach the pedals. A friend of mine used to tell me how they would all pile into an old car and drive it the 5km to the property gate each morning to get the school bus. Leave the car there, pick it up later. He was a tall kid and started driving his siblings when he was 8. They just graduate from this to driving bigger & more powerful vehicles on the road, and often think they are invincible, as "they've been driving all their lives". Big cultural issue really. 

However, definitely something to be kept in context, like all crime issues.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

The car-jacking thing has been getting bigger in SEQ for the last 4-5 years, and becoming increasingly violent. Stealing cars from homes, breaking in to steal keys for cars parked in driveways (remember the British lady fatally stabbed in her home on the Sunshine Coast?), people are often assaulted during car thefts in car parks, though rarely reported as much as the fatal case this week. Police I worked with each day said its a huge issue among teens - both SEQ born & bred, and those who have moved there from elsewhere. Many of my colleagues drove home with car doors firmly locked, an a constant alertness when stopped at lights - and we were based in north Brisbane, not one of the "worst" areas.

It goes alongside the other big issues with teenage/young drivers of having access to cars that are too powerful, driving under the influence of drugs/drink, and being egged on by their passengers. By the time I left work last year, it was incredibly rare that we got through the night without seeing firefighters somewhere in the State dispetched to at least one car full of teens wrapped around a powerpole /tree, or rolled off the road, usually with at least one fatality or serious injury.  Sadly it got to the point where those jobs became routine and almost ceased to shock. Many youngsters, especially in the more remote areas, learn to drive on properties as soon as they can reach the pedals. A friend of mine used to tell me how they would all pile into an old car and drive it the 5km to the property gate each morning to get the school bus. Leave the car there, pick it up later. He was a tall kid and started driving his siblings when he was 8. They just graduate from this to driving bigger & more powerful vehicles on the road, and often think they are invincible, as "they've been driving all their lives". Big cultural issue really. 

However, definitely something to be kept in context, like all crime issues.

😲😲😲

15 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Indeed I do like a statistic, and well spotted - but on this occasion I was so certain that crime is worse in the UK than it is in Queensland, I didn't bother to look it up. But anyway, here goes... there were approximately 600,000 recorded crimes in Queensland in 2023, compared with 8.4 million offences in England and Wales, and about another 300,000 in Scotland, for a similar period. Obviously there are a lot more people living in the UK, and I'm sure that crime rates are comparable with Queensland when you are comparing areas with similar demographics etc. However, the chances of being a victim of crime here are a lot lower, simply because there is a lot less crime.

Breaking and entering to steal cars may not be a problem in Scotland but it certainly is in England, and I know two people personally who were broken into in the last 5 years for exactly that reason.

It's also worth noting that some of us have lived in both Australia and the UK for considerable periods of time, so our 'bubble' may be a little bigger than you think 😉

3 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Indeed I do like a statistic, and well spotted - but on this occasion I was so certain that crime is worse in the UK than it is in Queensland, I didn't bother to look it up. But anyway, here goes... there were approximately 600,000 recorded crimes in Queensland in 2023, compared with 8.4 million offences in England and Wales, and about another 300,000 in Scotland, for a similar period. Obviously there are a lot more people living in the UK, and I'm sure that crime rates are comparable with Queensland when you are comparing areas with similar demographics etc. However, the chances of being a victim of crime here are a lot lower, simply because there is a lot less crime.

Breaking and entering to steal cars may not be a problem in Scotland but it certainly is in England, and I know two people personally who were broken into in the last 5 years for exactly that reason.

It's also worth noting that some of us have lived in both Australia and the UK for considerable periods of time, so our 'bubble' may be a little bigger than you think 😉

Just dont take your (grand) kids to a Westfield in Brisbane.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Obviously there are a lot more people living in the UK, and I'm sure that crime rates are comparable with Queensland when you are comparing areas with similar demographics etc. However, the chances of being a victim of crime here are a lot lower, simply because there is a lot less crime.

That's not how probability works, based upon the latest figures you are have a roughly 1 in 9 chance of being the victim of a crime in both places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd imagine it's a hard thing to judge as UK has so many more people and you're comparing a state/city with a country 🤔.

Would love to know say, crime in Brisbane compared to London alone. Again,I'm guessing though,but London has a lot more people than Brisbane???I'm not sure🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

I'd imagine it's a hard thing to judge as UK has so many more people and you're comparing a state/city with a country 🤔.

Would love to know say, crime in Brisbane compared to London alone. Again,I'm guessing though,but London has a lot more people than Brisbane???I'm not sure🤷🏻‍♂️

You're right, you can only compare places that have a similar population and demographic, which is quite hard to do given that there are very few places in Australia and the UK that are closely comparable. Although London and Brisbane are both major cities, it wouldn't be a fair comparison because London is so much larger, densely populated, and diverse.

The probability of being a victim of crime will vary significantly depending on a person's location, age, gender, time of day, personal circumstances. However, you can't become a victim of crime unless you're in contact with someone to perpetrate it, so it's less likely to occur here because Australia is so sparsely populated.

A recent article about Queensland's crime rate decreasing, despite media reports of surging youth offences...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-30/queensland-youth-crime-long-term-data-downward-abs-police/102917994

Edited by InnerVoice
  • Like 1

On 06/02/2024 at 19:37, Cheery Thistle said:

Well a quick Google shows 1,700-ish crimes per 100k people in Brisbane as opposed to 93 per 1000 in England (so 9,300 when you scale it up) and 52 per 1000 in Scotland (so 5,300 when scaled up). Am I doing the maths right? 

The maths is only correct if cases are reported. 

Ive always said the crime here in QLD is 5 to 10 years behind the UK, hence stealing cars may not be the done thing in the UK anymore but it has kicked in here in the last couple of years.

Cal x

• Like 1

2 people in past 5 years in the UK I don’t think will compare favourably to car theft in the Redlands from what I’m seeing. 

I think it’s really hard to a) get accurate stats and b) do any kind of a proper comparison because of the challenges described above in comparing apples and oranges.  

I wonder why there’s such a big difference in crime stats England vs Scotland though, which is a bit more similar/easier to compare? 

However, I don’t think denial is a good place to be in, regardless of location. I think it’s obvious that there is an issue with youths breaking and entering for car theft and/or car jacking in QLD. 
I don’t think it’s been an issue on any scale in the Uk for more like 20-25 years, not 5-10. There are myriad other issues to replace it though!! 

• Like 1