60:40 split between UK & Oz

Hello!

i am a uk resident, social worker who is awaiting invitation for 189 visa. If this were to be invited and granted, will I be able to operate a 60:40 split between the Uk and Oz (Uk the 60) as I hold property here. Would this be possible or a pipe dream? 

There's only one way to find out. I've fantasized about doing a similar scenario because I find UK winter awful!

Personally I think you are going to find the logistics of doing this really tricky to manage.  I think the circumstances where it could work would be if you are very wealthy, young, with no spouse and definitely no kids! You are going to need a very understanding boss who doesn't mind you going missing for half the year (on both sides of the world.)  Or a completely remote job. If you do have a job in both countries, then you may find there are tax implications?

Shipping your stuff back twice a year will be an utter pain, so I'd not do this.  Keep possessions to an absolute minimum in both locations.

With regards to your UK property, what would you do with it?  Its likely not a good idea to leave it empty, but finding a tenant who wants to stay for just 5 months every year is likely to be tricky.

For the 4 months in Oz, you are probably looking at a short term holiday style rental as most rentals will want a 12 month commitment.  Might be easier to rent a room in a shared house, or In fact I'd even say you could live in a holiday park,  -  Our favorite holiday park, Pambula Beach has basic cabins at $4.5k for 4 months. Live right on the beach with a swimming pool etc...

My advice-  If you really think Australia is the place for you, then move over, lock stock and barrel.  Perhaps delay selling your UK property until you settle, so you have an easy way back if it doesn't work out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, excitedbutterrified said:

There's only one way to find out. I've fantasized about doing a similar scenario because I find UK winter awful!

Personally I think you are going to find the logistics of doing this really tricky to manage.  I think the circumstances where it could work would be if you are very wealthy, young, with no spouse and definitely no kids! You are going to need a very understanding boss who doesn't mind you going missing for half the year (on both sides of the world.)  Or a completely remote job. If you do have a job in both countries, then you may find there are tax implications?

Shipping your stuff back twice a year will be an utter pain, so I'd not do this.  Keep possessions to an absolute minimum in both locations.

With regards to your UK property, what would you do with it?  Its likely not a good idea to leave it empty, but finding a tenant who wants to stay for just 5 months every year is likely to be tricky.

For the 4 months in Oz, you are probably looking at a short term holiday style rental as most rentals will want a 12 month commitment.  Might be easier to rent a room in a shared house, or In fact I'd even say you could live in a holiday park,  -  Our favorite holiday park, Pambula Beach has basic cabins at $4.5k for 4 months. Live right on the beach with a swimming pool etc...

My advice-  If you really think Australia is the place for you, then move over, lock stock and barrel.  Perhaps delay selling your UK property until you settle, so you have an easy way back if it doesn't work out.

Ahh yes, I fully expect tax issues! I’m definitely not wealthy, but I am the rest! Job wise, in the UK I am an agency worker and independent social worker, so I just really take off / pick and choose work as and when! I was hoping to do agency in oz too, as opposed to finding employment every so often. 

property wise, I was just really hoping to leave it empty for those few months and have family check in on it. It’s a fairly low maintenance small flat, so not a big upkeep or liability really! I know for sure I don’t want to stay lifelong in Australia… I’ll always want to come home. But I’d like a pocket of my life spent there for sure. 

id never considered the holiday park idea… I really like it! Thankyou for that 🙂

9 hours ago, cricha200 said:

will I be able to operate a 60:40 split between the Uk and Oz (Uk the 60) as I hold property here. Would this be possible or a pipe dream? 

6 hours ago, cricha200 said:

property wise, I was just really hoping to leave it empty for those few months and have family check in on it. It’s a fairly low maintenance small flat, so not a big upkeep or liability really! I know for sure I don’t want to stay lifelong in Australia… I’ll always want to come home. But I’d like a pocket of my life spent there for sure. 

I did this for a few years back in the early noughties (and loved it), although the cost of living in Australia was relatively inexpensive back then, as were flights to and from. I remember getting Manchester to Sydney returns for £500-600 a couple of times. I used to be back in the UK for my birthday at the start of June, and leave mid September, so it was a 75:25 split in favour of Australia. I worked solidly for the 9 months I was here, so I could afford the other 3 months off. One year I spent that time in Mexico, so I didn't return to the UK for a couple of years. I also had a small UK property which I rented out so when I went back I stayed at my elderly mum's, who was always happy to see me with 9 months of DIY jobs saved up!

Logistically it's still doable, but if I was you I'd be planning to spend at least 6 months in Oz. Unless you rent a room (which has its own challenges) or go down the AirBnB route (which would be expensive), the minimum you're going to be able to rent anywhere independently is for 6 months. You'll also find that if you only spent 4 months in Australia each year then won't meet the residency requirement (2 years here in the last 5) when you came to obtain your first Return Residents Visa.

Missing the British winter never got old but the transient nature of the lifestyle does after a while, and I also found it hard to develop any lasting friendships in Australia. There's a sell-by date to the lifestyle too, especially when you find yourself in the backpackers in your late 30s whilst looking for the next place to stay - you start to feel like the oldest swinger in town!

• Like 2

I was thinking about the visa issues. After 5 years of PR you can stay in Australia but if you leave you will need an RRV to get back in. It is possible to get one without staying 2 out of five years but is isn’t automatic and can take a while to get. You are unlikely to obtain citizenship this way either.  Also rules do change regarding RRVs etc.

As long as you are fully aware of all the possible pitfalls and maybe have a plan b then why not give it a go.  You are footloose and fancy free now so seize the moment!

15 hours ago, cricha200 said:

i am a uk resident, social worker who is awaiting invitation for 189 visa. If this were to be invited and granted, will I be able to operate a 60:40 split between the Uk and Oz (Uk the 60) as I hold property here. Would this be possible or a pipe dream? 

As others have said, the question is, how long do you want to do this for?

Although the 189 is a permanent residency visa, the word "permanent" is somewhat misleading.    When you get the visa, you get a 'travel facility', which lets you travel freely to and from Australia for 5 years.  If you let that expire, and then leave Australia, you won't be allowed back in!   You need to either get citizenship OR get a RRV (Resident Return Visa) before the 5 years are up. 

Citizenship is obviously the ideal, because then you can come and go from Australia forever, but it's unlikely you'd meet the residency requirement for that.  So you'll need to go for the RRV -- but even for that, you must have been resident in Australia for at least 2 years out of the 5 years.   And you'll need to apply for a new RRV every 5 years, with the same residency requirement each time. 

• Like 1

Thankyou everyone! That’s helpful.

id like to do this for 2/3 years maximum. I know for sure that Australia is not for me lifelong, but I’d absolutely just love a pocket of my life that it featured and I can experience social work from a different perspective again etc. 

• Like 1

If you only want to do a maximum 2/3 years, if you are under 35 wouldn't the Working holiday Visa be a better\cheaper and quicker option?

You also wouldn't be getting a PR visa ahead of somebody who wants to make the move permanently.

Edited by bluequay
  • Like 2

On 20/01/2024 at 09:37, cricha200 said:

Thankyou everyone! That’s helpful.

id like to do this for 2/3 years maximum. I know for sure that Australia is not for me lifelong, but I’d absolutely just love a pocket of my life that it featured and I can experience social work from a different perspective again etc. 

Seconded what Bluequay says,   Getting the PR visa is a long, admin intensive process, and if you really are adamant that you are only staying for 3 years, Id certainly not exclude a temporary option. Working holiday is truly easy and quick to get. 

Caveats for WHV :

• when you do leave, you will be able to claim back your Superannuation (pension) and the tax rates applied to your super is 65% for WHV and 40% (I think) for non WHV.   This may or may not be significant enough to make a WHV less attractive as it can add up to many thousands. 
  • To get second and third year WHV, you need to have had worked in a specified role for a minimum amount of time, I very much doubt social work is part of that list, so you might have to go fruit picking for 3 months of each year! 
  • (Its been over 20 years since I held a WHV - so take this with a pinch of salt!)  I found it difficult to get anyone to employ me in the skilled work I was qualified for on a WHV.

Don't know if there are any other temporary work visas you can get without a sponsor, It's worth asking someone who knows! Perhaps its possible to get a social work agency to sponsor a temporary visa? I know from experience that getting a temp visa with a sponsor is 100x easier and quicker than going through the hoops required for a PR visa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sausage said:

Seconded what Bluequay says,   Getting the PR visa is a long, admin intensive process, and if you really are adamant that you are only staying for 3 years, Id certainly not exclude a temporary option. Working holiday is truly easy and quick to get. 

Caveats for WHV :

• when you do leave, you will be able to claim back your Superannuation (pension) and the tax rates applied to your super is 65% for WHV and 40% (I think) for non WHV.   This may or may not be significant enough to make a WHV less attractive as it can add up to many thousands. 
  • To get second and third year WHV, you need to have had worked in a specified role for a minimum amount of time, I very much doubt social work is part of that list, so you might have to go fruit picking for 3 months of each year! 
  • (Its been over 20 years since I held a WHV - so take this with a pinch of salt!)  I found it difficult to get anyone to employ me in the skilled work I was qualified for on a WHV.

Don't know if there are any other temporary work visas you can get without a sponsor, It's worth asking someone who knows! Perhaps its possible to get a social work agency to sponsor a temporary visa? I know from experience that getting a temp visa with a sponsor is 100x easier and quicker than going through the hoops required for a PR visa.

Thought they had ditched the regional work requirements for UK working holiday makers now!?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluequay said:

If you only want to do a maximum 2/3 years, if you are under 35 wouldn't the Working holiday Visa be a better\cheaper and quicker option?

You also wouldn't be getting a PR visa ahead of somebody who wants to make the move permanently.

It would be, but getting “social work” on a temp visa never really is great. The “social work” offered on a temp visa is never the social work that is compatible experience and finance wise as the uk unfortunately! I’m keen to expand my career and not do roles that I done 5+ years ago in the uk instead. I’m not sure if they ask when applying for PR if you want to stay a short while or long time on the visa? 

21 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Caveats for WHV :

Social work or park of the list on MTLTSS. I was stupid and left oz 4 years ago one month short of them announcing key workers were being extended sadly!