TSS 482 to Perm Residency (English test required??)

Andrew1980

Hi all

We have been living in Oz for circa 1 year now arriving under my employer sponsored TSS 482 visa.   

My employer has just kicked off the PR visa process and I have been asked to undergo a skills assessment again which is odd considering I already passed that to enter last year albeit on a temp visa.

I have now been asked to take an IELTS English test before they will approve my skill assessment.  Again strange considering I am already here and from the UK as a British citizen.

My question please - is it mandatory to take an English test for PR?  Especially if I am already in the country under an emp sponsored TSS 482??

Not sure if the skills assessment place (CPA) are making me undertake the test when it's not required...

Many thanks

Andrew

4 hours ago, Andrew1980 said:

Hi all

We have been living in Oz for circa 1 year now arriving under my employer sponsored TSS 482 visa.   

My employer has just kicked off the PR visa process and I have been asked to undergo a skills assessment again which is odd considering I already passed that to enter last year albeit on a temp visa.

I have now been asked to take an IELTS English test before they will approve my skill assessment.  Again strange considering I am already here and from the UK as a British citizen.

My question please - is it mandatory to take an English test for PR?  Especially if I am already in the country under an emp sponsored TSS 482??

Not sure if the skills assessment place (CPA) are making me undertake the test when it's not required...

Many thanks

Andrew

Which PR visa are you heading for? 186, 189, 190? I'm guessing the 186, but......

It can depend on your occupation exactly what is required. You can check on the immigration and assessment body website.  The visa you state is a brand new application and doesn’t get any exemptions like the transfer one.  Your original skills assessment etc may still be valid, you need to check the expiry dates. 

On 10/11/2023 at 19:30, Andrew1980 said:

The English test is required for the CPA skills assessment. They do not allow exemptions for native English speakers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

The English test is required for the CPA skills assessment. They do not allow exemptions for native English speakers. 

IIRC where an exemption is given it only assumes that as a native English speaker you are at least a 6.5 on the IELTS scale, however for the CPA skills assessment you need to be at least a 7.0 and the only way to prove that is via a test.