Do I have any choices

Cantabrigian

Hi there, can anyone give insight on my situation. I have now reluctantly accepted I will not move back to Australia, one reason I was turned down for an RRV 7 years ago but probably, more importantly I think I spent too long kidding myself I could realistically return  - ironically after the RRV decision I have been  given a job offer.

If I’m honest to myself it’s not right to return as financially I am well set up in the uk, 6 years from retirement. I know I could not create my lifestyle in Australia, I understand how to make money here but.i would struggle in Australia. Would be different if I was thirty something. I also have a 10 year old daughter who is thriving here and fingers crossed she will have a good adult  life, not sure I could pull her away from what she has open her. I know Australia has opportunity and wouldn’t talk her out of going when she adult. 

I spent way too many years imagining the perfect Aussie life but being honest it acted as a distraction from the mundanity of everyday life, I was never going to commit to it, just deceived myself and ultimately punished myself living in the past. I did and do love Australia but my time to get off my backside should have been 20 years ago when it was cheaper than UK, sterling currency was amazing and Australia seemed less ruined by globalisation than the uk.

There is one thing I could see us doing though once my daughter is independent is try to retire, so my question was do you think I have any options to do so ? I have looked but seems unclear. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Cantabrigian

Based on what you have said, it seems somewhere between unlikely and Buckley’s unless you can get a new RRV. You haven’t provided enough information to give any form of opinion on that. You will have a much better shot if you have a job offer in hand, but that’s nowhere near a guarantee. I would seek some professional advice tailored to your specific circumstances. 

• Like 1

I would tend to agree with Paul. More personal details are needed to assess any possible pathways. Your age, profession, qualifications, family situation,  remaining links to Australia (if any ) etc etc. Much has changed in recent years, so it would be worth investigating more thoroughly even if such an exercise concludes you have "Buckleys". At least you will know where you stand and can get on with your life... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cantabrigian said:

I also have a 10 year old daughter who is thriving here and fingers crossed she will have a good adult  life, not sure I could pull her away from what she has open her. I know Australia has opportunity and wouldn’t talk her out of going when she adult. 

You're thinking of Australia as it was when you first considered moving.   These days, "opportunity" in Australia is no better or worse than any other first-world country.    The unemployment rate is virtually the same as the UK.  When I arived in Australia 30 years ago, I had three job offers within a fortnight, all at a higher level than the job I did in the UK.  That doesn't happen now, in fact many migrants have to take a step backwards because they "lack Australian experience".  Some jobs in Australia are much better paid than the UK:  others aren't as well paid, particularly in the corporate sector.  On top of that, housing affordability (relative to income) is much worse than in the UK.

I don't mean that to sound bleak -- it's just a reflection of the fact that Australia is no longer the burgeoning young country of last century. It's becoming a mature, first-world country with all the advantages and disadvantages that entails.   For me, the bottom line is that if you prefer the Australian lifestyle and culture (as I do), then that's a great reason to migrate. Whether it's worth migrating for economic reasons, unless you're from a third world country, is debatable.

As you say, there is a parent's visa, but even if your daughter manages to get a skilled visa as an adult, I wouldn't bank on that as an option.  Elderly people cost too much money in healthcare and aged care and the Australian government doesn't want to take them on.  For that reason, the government is very stingy about handing out parent visas, and they're likely to make it ever more difficult as time goes by.   Some argue that the government should be more generous, because they are losing skilled migrants who aren't willing to stay if they can't bring their parents over.  However the reality is that for every migrant who goes home, there's several more eager to replace them, so there's no great incentive for the government to change its attitude. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Cantabrigian said:

If I’m honest to myself it’s not right to return as financially I am well set up in the uk, 6 years from retirement. I know I could not create my lifestyle in Australia, I understand how to make money here but.i would struggle in Australia. Would be different if I was thirty something. I also have a 10 year old daughter who is thriving here and fingers crossed she will have a good adult  life, not sure I could pull her away from what she has open her. I know Australia has opportunity and wouldn’t talk her out of going when she adult. 

I spent way too many years imagining the perfect Aussie life but being honest it acted as a distraction from the mundanity of everyday life, I was never going to commit to it, just deceived myself and ultimately punished myself living in the past. I did and do love Australia but my time to get off my backside should have been 20 years ago when it was cheaper than UK, sterling currency was amazing and Australia seemed less ruined by globalisation than the uk.

I think your own analysis of your circumstances and also of the challenges of moving back to Australia are spot-on. It sounds like you've made a good life for yourselves in the UK, and your main impetus for returning to Australia is the grass is always greener scenario – or as people refer to it these days, fear of missing out.

I don't want to sound harsh but your retirement idea is pretty much a non-starter. You would need your daughter to be interested in migrating to Australia, have the skills to migrate, and then obtain permanent residency even before you could even start the process of obtaining parent visas. It would be decades from now and the costs involved would be astronomical. You'd be much better off spending that money on some nice long holidays that knock a big hole in the British winter.

• Like 2

I don't think most people have ever moved to Australia for financial rewards. That is just he cherry on the top of the cake.

They move for the lifestyle, weather, beaches, excitement etc. That never changes the financial cherry on top of the cake may be bigger at times than others, but really that is quickly forgotten anyway when you are used to the "new normal".

54 minutes ago, Parley said:

I don't think most people have ever moved to Australia for financial rewards.

I'm very surprised to hear that.  Sure, kids on WHVs come for the weather and beaches, but haven't you noticed all the people who join this forum and say they're migrating because they want "a better future for their kids"?  Not beaches and excitement but more opportunity and financial success.  In my experience that's a driver for many people.

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

I'm very surprised to hear that.  Sure, kids on WHVs come for the weather and beaches, but haven't you noticed all the people who join this forum and say they're migrating because they want "a better future for their kids"?  Not beaches and excitement but more opportunity and financial success.  In my experience that's a driver for many people.

Yep we moved in 2017 for many reasons but financial was one of them. much better standard of living in Australia (even now) for the same job than the uk. Swapped a shoebox in a chav infested inner city area for a family home by the beach. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, can1983 said:

Yep we moved in 2017 for many reasons but financial was one of them. much better standard of living in Australia (even now) for the same job than the uk. Swapped a shoebox in a chav infested inner city area for a family home by the beach. 

As I've noted elsewhere, not all occupations are higher-paid in Australia than in the UK, so it's important people do their own research.  Also of course, now that house prices have gone daft in some capital cities, that can wipe out the benefits of the higher salaries.

For occupations where it's possible to find work in regional areas, e.g. teachers, medical staff, social workers, tradespeople, it's still possible to get the benefit of better pay/bigger house.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  I didn't put detail on here to preserve my situation in case I then apply for an RRV and immigration are looking through the forum ( bit paranoid I think) but I take the points of migration agent posts and respect your professional insight.  As for Buckleys sadly my grasp of Australian penal history was lacking so I had to look it up.

I would apply tomorrow  for an RRV but aged 61 and turned down for and RRV  7 years ago, I cannot even with eternal optimism believe I would get one now. I do have a job offer but I have no real compelling reasons for my absence other than my wife having a mother that we were involved in caring for who passed away 2 years ago.  I would happily talk to an agent if there is a chance but not unless I am missing something, maybe I am ?  tell me and I will book an appointment.

Grass is greener sums me up for sure, its me, that's why I have always been driven to move forward, however I cannot recommend it.  What's the point sitting there wanting for nothing but still feeling you haven't got what you want.

My life and where I am will probably allow me to do what I want in terms of travel once my daughter leaves home, maybe I should be satisfied. But I still can't take away that longing to be in Cairns living in Daintree. or top end, I never wanted Australia for financial reasons, not interested in the cities or economic benefits.  I had financial security many years ago. for me it was about lifestyle, daily Ashtanga yoga, driving round the remote outback, maybe even doing voluntary job. I would even invest some money in something wildlife based.

I suppose I am reading my own words and concluding money corrupted me into staying in the UK. But if you started life in poverty its hard to let go of that neurotic insecurit.

Thanks for reading this,  I think I may die wondering (when I am a centurion 😁) with an unanswered question.

Hands held high I should have been braver but none of us are perfect.

Namaste 🙏

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cantabrigian said:

I would apply tomorrow  for an RRV but aged 61 and turned down for and RRV  7 years ago, I cannot even with eternal optimism believe I would get one now. I do have a job offer but I have no real compelling reasons for my absence other than my wife having a mother that we were involved in caring for who passed away 2 years ago.  I would happily talk to an agent if there is a chance but not unless I am missing something, maybe I am ?  tell me and I will book an appointment.

You will never know if you don't try and in my (biased) view, as well as Steve's above, a proper consultation will be able to give you a much better understanding of what may or may not be achievable.

If you do proceed, it's a $465 application charge (plus any professional fees). Worth it to put the wondering to rest?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, can1983 said:

It is usually not just about money is my point. That is a small factor in overall lifestyle improvement.

And once you have lived here for a few years, it is just the new normal and you stop comparing things to your old life.

My focus is on living well here not wondering if i would have made more money in England.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cantabrigian said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I didn't put detail on here to preserve my situation in case I then apply for an RRV and immigration are looking through the forum ( bit paranoid I think) but I take the points of migration agent posts and respect your professional insight.  As for Buckleys sadly my grasp of Australian penal history was lacking so I had to look it up.

Grass is greener sums me up for sure, its me, that's why I have always been driven to move forward, however I cannot recommend it.  What's the point sitting there wanting for nothing but still feeling you haven't got what you want.

My life and where I am will probably allow me to do what I want in terms of travel once my daughter leaves home, maybe I should be satisfied. But I still can't take away that longing to be in Cairns living in Daintree. or top end, I never wanted Australia for financial reasons, not interested in the cities or economic benefits.  I had financial security many years ago. for me it was about lifestyle, daily Ashtanga yoga, driving round the remote outback, maybe even doing voluntary job. I would even invest some money in something wildlife based.

I suppose I am reading my own words and concluding money corrupted me into staying in the UK. But if you started life in poverty its hard to let go of that neurotic insecurit.

Thanks for reading this,  I think I may die wondering (when I am a centurion 😁) with an unanswered question.

Hands held high I should have been braver but none of us are perfect.

Namaste 🙏

It's almost 30 years since I first came here as backpacker and I definitely migrated for the lifestyle and not the financial opportunities, although I appreciate everyone's motivations are different. I still find work a terrible inconvenience! Everything was so much more chilled back then, especially here in Queensland, although I think life up here is still pretty good compared with other parts of Australia. The globalisation effect you mentioned in your first post hasn't really happened here (probably not enough people to globalise), and most of the brands or chains we do have are distinctly Australian.

I hope you can get your RRV, but if not it's great that you're in a good position financially and can spend some quality time here in your retirement. Good luck with it all.

• Like 1

I am aware of a number of RRVs which have been granted in the past few years where the submission wasn't the strongest. It is quite possible the sands may have shifted in he past 7 years. Australia has different needs today so maybe your professional background, skillsets may potentially add weight to our case. I totally understand you may not wish to post these personal details on a public forum but for the sake of clarity, the nominal cost of a consultation would likely be insignificant in the broader context. - It has to be worth the small investment?

• Like 1

Sorry for my delay in postimg, I have been a bit side tracked.

Yes I think both of you are correct, I should check out things with a qualified person. Question is Paul vs Steve 😁 who wins !  I am only joking and thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am going to contact the job offerer and see if its still there, I am sure it will be but who knows in todays climate.

Are assessment's conducted over Facetime or similar ? prefer in person but that's probably asking a lot ?

I sat here today in the cold UK and dreamed of Cairns, even read the Cairns Post online.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cantabrigian said:

Sorry for my delay in postimg, I have been a bit side tracked.

Yes I think both of you are correct, I should check out things with a qualified person. Question is Paul vs Steve 😁 who wins !  I am only joking and thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am going to contact the job offerer and see if its still there, I am sure it will be but who knows in todays climate.

Are assessment's conducted over Facetime or similar ? prefer in person but that's probably asking a lot ?

I sat here today in the cold UK and dreamed of Cairns, even read the Cairns Post online.

Yes - I do them over Microsoft Teams, it's a whole lot more efficient!