Refugee/Asylum help

psuwara

Hi there,

We have some friends seeking asylum as they cannot return to Russia due to their stance on the war in Ukraine. 

Can someone suggest a contact to work out if they can apply for asylum and a permanent protection visa in Australia. 

Suggested agent contact would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

What country are they in now?

No. They can't seek asylum in Australia. It would be very easy for people if this was all it took to migrate to Australia.

There are over 75000 asylum seekers a year who arrive in Australia by plane and are given Refugee status. Not sure where you get this idea that they can't seek Asylum.

I suspect this is a non-starter.  As far as I know you need to be within Australia to apply for asylum, they can't do it from Georgia (or Russia).  And in order to get here they would need a visa, presumably a tourist visa.  To get a tourist visa you need to be a 'genuine temporary entrant', with no plans to stay - which clearly they aren't.  I'd be really surprised if any official would grant a visitor visa to Australia to a Russian refugee in Georgia as it's obvious that it's a step toward a protection visa.  I'm not a Migration Agent though, so that's just a lay-person view...

Good luck to them, it's a tough spot to be in

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psuwara said:

There are over 75000 asylum seekers a year who arrive in Australia by plane and are given Refugee status. Not sure where you get this idea that they can't seek Asylum.

Follow up because I realised I misread this.  Where did you get "75,000 asylum seekers a year arriving by plane and given Refugee status"

https://asylumseekerscentre.org.au/australia-refugee-intake/ says that under 6,000 refugee visas were granted in 2021.  https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/asylum-community/3/ says that "The number of asylum claims reflects, in part, which citizens can enter Australia (by plane) on valid visas. For example, there are large numbers of Malaysians and Chinese international students, and many skilled migrants from India.".  The chart on the same page shows roughly 23k applicants (not grants) in 2021 and that is by all means of arrival.

There is so much mis-information and fearmongering about the dangers of asylum seekers and refugees in Australia and inflated numbers just feeds that fear

• Like 1