190 visa EOI

On 09/08/2023 at 16:20, Marisawright said:

That's a shame.  The good news is that pre-Covid, 70 points wouldn't have been enough -- however teachers have been invited at that level this year so that's good news.

I just checked your old posts. I thought when you mentioned two email addresses, that you and your partner were both eligible to apply as the main applicant so you'd each put one in.  I now realise it's just you. That means even if you used different email addresses, you'd still have the same name and address on both so it wouldn't take them long to work it out.  Definitely a bad idea IMO, in that case. 

TBH with low points, I would hire an agent, or at least get one to check over your application before you submit (you can ask them to quote for just a check-over, some will, some won't).   A good agent might also have an idea which state is hiring more teachers.

Pre COVID 70 points or even 65 points was enough to get a 190 visa, I'm living proof of it ...

On 10/08/2023 at 08:12, Marisawright said:

Yes, all over Australia you'll find that the coast is always the coolest.  The further inland you go, the hotter it gets, unless you can get up a mountain.  Having said that, you don't have to go far inland for it to get hot -- it's the sea breezes that cool things down, and they don't go far.  For instance, in Sydney, when it's 30 degrees in Bondi, it can be over 40 degrees in Parramatta (further inland, but still part of Sydney).  Penrith (another Sydney suburb) was the hottest place on earth on one day back in January, at 49.8 degrees.  

I'm sure others will drop in to reassure you that the really hot temperatures only last for two or three months, and that's true.  The winters are gorgeous on the NSW coast, sunny and mild.  Whereas Victoria is cold in winter!   When I moved from Sydney to Melbourne, I had to go out and buy gloves, scarves and woolly hats again.  I'm just one of those people who turns into a wet rag in high humidity so I couldn't handle the warm humid weather in Sydney all the way from November to March. 

Melbourne winters are terrible. Not cold enough to be enjoyable if you are a cold weather lover l, but chilly enough that coats and sometimes gloves are desirable (if not strictly necessary).

Syndey on the other hand never really goes below 12c and then only for a few hours.

Melbourne does get hot in the summer but only for a day or two at a time

51 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

chilly enough that coats and sometimes gloves are desirable (if not strictly necessary).

Correction, chilly enough that coats are always required, and woolly hats and gloves are frequently required.  Moving from Sydney to Melbourne I found myself buying a whole new suite of matching hats/scarves/gloves and puffer jackets etc.  

Melbourne can get very hot in summer but it's a dry heat, and even on the hottest days, it's usually pleasantly mild in the morning until about 10 or 11, so you can get all your chores done and then hibernate. Plus it cools down at night (and summer evenings are light for longer, something I appreciate after 30 years of Sydney's early darkness).  

I do miss the gloriously sunny Sydney winters but I just couldn't hack the summers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Correction, chilly enough that coats are always required, and woolly hats and gloves are frequently required.  Moving from Sydney to Melbourne I found myself buying a whole new suite of matching hats/scarves/gloves and puffer jackets etc.  

Melbourne can get very hot in summer but it's a dry heat, and even on the hottest days, it's usually pleasantly mild in the morning until about 10 or 11, so you can get all your chores done and then hibernate. Plus it cools down at night (and summer evenings are light for longer, something I appreciate after 30 years of Sydney's early darkness).  

I do miss the gloriously sunny Sydney winters but I just couldn't hack the summers.

Sydney also receives twice as much rain as Melbourne.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Sydney also receives twice as much rain as Melbourne.

To be fair, it doesn't feel like it. Sydney's rain arrives in massive downpours which they blithely call "showers" so although the quantity sounds high, it doesn't rain nearly as often as it does in Melbourne. In Melbourne we can use all the subtle British words for rain, like drizzle

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

To be fair, it doesn't feel like it. Sydney's rain arrives in massive downpours which they blithely call "showers" so although the quantity sounds high, it doesn't rain nearly as often as it does in Melbourne. In Melbourne we can use all the subtle British words for rain, like drizzle

I know what you mean as we also get the mizzle and drizzle here.  I remember leaving work in Sydney during downpours and taking my shoes off to walk to the station as the street was like a canal.  When it rains there it really does rain.  Also remember days and days of rain round about Easter time - one Easter it rained continuously for nearly 4 weeks.  Like you, I hated the humidity during summer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2023 at 09:06, paulhand said:

I am happy to answer specific questions on an application during a consultation, but I don’t offer a blanket “review” service. 

Hi Paul,

I have a specific question if you can answer it. I have passed this by an agent but don't feel confident with their answer, although I was at the time! I thought about you answering this one and I have more faith in you 🙈

I have asked before about work experience and maternity leave but I was just guessing the figures. I have the specifics now.

During my maternity leave, I had 4 weeks full pay from work, 12 weeks half pay from work (topped up to full with SMP) then 6 months just SMP.

I've been advised by the agent that I can claim work experience for the 4 weeks full pay and the 12 weeks half pay plus SMP (then not allowed to claim 6 months just SMP). So for my maternity leave, I can claim 18 weeks experience.

I was employed before and after my maternity leave for a number of years with the same employer.

Does this sound right? I don't want to overclaim.

Thanks 🙂

12 hours ago, Welshieabroad said:

Hi Paul,

I have a specific question if you can answer it. I have passed this by an agent but don't feel confident with their answer, although I was at the time! I thought about you answering this one and I have more faith in you 🙈

I have asked before about work experience and maternity leave but I was just guessing the figures. I have the specifics now.

During my maternity leave, I had 4 weeks full pay from work, 12 weeks half pay from work (topped up to full with SMP) then 6 months just SMP.

I've been advised by the agent...

If you already have an agent, then Paul isn't allowed to offer you any advice.