Is it possible to set up a rental from the UK?

LJL

Hi All,

Moving to Brisbane in Feb. 
Was wondering if it is possible to have a 6 month rental ready for when you arrive? If so, how did anybody manage this? If not, what timescales would I be looking at before I secure one - 3 bed property south of the river (I appreciate the current market is hot right now).
Would I need to secure work first or could I pay for the rental term upfront?

We lived in Brisbane for a few years some 10+ years ago and recently holidayed there, so we know the areas we would like to live in, just not sure if things have changed somewhat (apart from housing market going mad).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks 

It is technically possible, the question is finding an agent that will do it. Obviously you need to get through the application process have proof of employment with proof of income, (paying in advance isn’t always an option) provide references and sign a form saying you are renting without seeing.  Most people rent temp accommodation when they arrive. As you say the market is pretty difficult at the moment, you could always give it a go and see what happens

• Like 1

Would you really want to commit yourself to living for 6 months in a place you haven't viewed? The real estate companies over here get very creative with their photos! Unless you intend to rent a furnished place (which are few and far between) you're also going to need to have all your stuff shipped over ahead of you. Most do AirBnB for a month or so until they can find somewhere suitable.

• Like 1

Itused to be illegal in some states for the agent to rent a property sight unseen.  It might have changed thanks to Covid and I have no idea whether it applied in Queensland.  

However, as InnerVoice said, I wouldn't want to take the chance unless it was a brand-new, never-been-lived in property.  Agents here are shameless about photoshopping the images they put on the real estate websites.

• Like 2

I don’t know about Brisbane but in SA 6 month terms are almost non existent   12 months minimum.  You could look at house sitting or longer term furnished lets.  Try sabbaticalhomes.com  

As previously mentioned letting sight unseen is generally not done.  We did it once as we had a good friend to view for us and a flexible agent.  With the market as it is I don’t think that would work now.

If you know someone on the ground who can help you…..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

I don’t know about Brisbane but in SA 6 month terms are almost non existent   12 months minimum.  You could look at house sitting or longer term furnished lets.  Try sabbaticalhomes.com

We know a couple of couples that moved down to SEQ fairly recently and both found 6-month rentals while they were looking for somewhere to buy. One was in Brisbane, and the other couple were retiring, so they rented an apartment on the Sunshine Coast for 6 months. It had ocean views and looked idyllic!

• Like 1

I have had rentals for six months in the past (didn't want twelve months) but that was quite some time ago. I would suggest in times of high rental demand , letting agents would have less inclination to do so when so many are knocking on their door looking for rentals. 

As others have already suggested, it would be in your own interest to inspect the property to ensure it is suitable for your requirements. There are numerous localities , probably best avoided , which may attempted to be palmed off by unscrupulous agents , this may be not solely anti social issues, but logistics as well.  which may be difficult to get info on from afar. 

Probably a short term weekly basis rental such as Air B&B or house sitting for a few weeks may be a better solution. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Itused to be illegal in some states for the agent to rent a property sight unseen.  It might have changed thanks to Covid and I have no idea whether it applied in Queensland.  

However, as InnerVoice said, I wouldn't want to take the chance unless it was a brand-new, never-been-lived in property.  Agents here are shameless about photoshopping the images they put on the real estate websites.

It permitted in Queensland but many agents won’t do it 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Thought as much.

I was a little concerned at how long we would end up in short term accommodation and trying to guess when to have belongings shipped etc. 

Anyone rented recently? How many weeks on average to secure a rental?

Thanks

• Like 1