Australian pension qualification query

Stulatics

On 04/04/2023 at 03:38, Marisawright said:

Good question. I had a browse around the Centrelink site and it's all a bit vague.  If you're receiving a pension or benefit, you must tell Centrelink you're going overseas and why you're going. One of the reasons you can choose is "holiday" but it doesn't set any limits on how long that can be.  It does say that if you can't specify your return date, it will affect your payments.  

This might be misleading because it's not quite the same thing.  My MIL was on what she always referred to as a "disability pension" (I don't know if that's the correct name) for a several years prior to reaching retirement age.  She would visit us here in the UK annually for 8 weeks.   Her pension payments would automatically stop at week 6.  She didn't tell anyone she was going (wasn't aware she needed to) so there is clearly a link set up between then social welfare system and immigration systems.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Totally, that's exactly what we intend to do, and why we'd been considering Tasmania (lots of walks and places to explore). That said, the Whitsundays would take some beating too - we were there 18 months ago and had a ball!

No barramundi fishing in Tassie…But there is in Mackay!

Cheers, Bobj.

8F645C94-FBCE-49A2-93ED-30D3E977DBD4.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

This might be misleading because it's not quite the same thing.  My MIL was on what she always referred to as a "disability pension" (I don't know if that's the correct name) for a several years prior to reaching retirement age.  She would visit us here in the UK annually for 8 weeks.   Her pension payments would automatically stop at week 6.  She didn't tell anyone she was going (wasn't aware she needed to) so there is clearly a link set up between then social welfare system and immigration systems.

An Aussie friend of mine who was in between jobs booked a trip over to the UK while I was living over there - I think it was 2010. He hadn't mentioned to Centrelink that he was travelling overseas as he was only over for 2-3 weeks, but I recall he was quite indignant to have received an email stating that his dole had been stopped the day after he'd left the country.

6 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

An Aussie friend of mine who was in between jobs booked a trip over to the UK while I was living over there - I think it was 2010. He hadn't mentioned to Centrelink that he was travelling overseas as he was only over for 2-3 weeks, but I recall he was quite indignant to have received an email stating that his dole had been stopped the day after he'd left the country.

I suppose the dole is meant to be a payment to provide an unemployed person with the necessities of life when they have no other income.

Spending many thousands on an overseas holiday seems to indicate that they don't need that government support.

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

I suppose the dole is meant to be a payment to provide an unemployed person with the necessities of life when they have no other income.

Spending many thousands on an overseas holiday seems to indicate that they don't need that government support.

I think they call it 'jobseeker' these days and you need to be actively looking for work to qualify. He had no grounds for complaint, but I think we were both surprised by the level of inter-departmental communication at the time.

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Wow, that must've kept you fed for a month!

Freshwater barra taste very muddy. They are always released. However, those from the sea are really fine to eat. And only 2.4 km away, along the rocks.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

It actually says on the Centrelink site that Immigration notifies them.

• Like 1