190/491 Visa - Police Records

tomwatson92

Looking at filing for a 190 or 491(get more points through 491) and i feel like i can meet the agenda to get a 191 after the 3 years. 

Only part that has me in a grey area from applying is i unfortunately have a UK record, (1 caution, 1 conviction) according the homeaffairs website, i don’t meet any of the red flags (no jail time, no specific crimes that they list) only thing is the ‘meeting good character’ 

I’m now onto my third migration company as nobody ever gets back to me to see if i will have any issues so i thought i’d post here just on the off chance someones been in a similar position before.

I was thinking of applying for a WHV beforehand as i have to meet the guidelines for that so surely if i get accepted for a WHV for good character then i should for a 190/491? 

16 hours ago, tomwatson92 said:

Looking at filing for a 190 or 491(get more points through 491) and i feel like i can meet the agenda to get a 191 after the 3 years. 

Only part that has me in a grey area from applying is i unfortunately have a UK record, (1 caution, 1 conviction) according the homeaffairs website, i don’t meet any of the red flags (no jail time, no specific crimes that they list) only thing is the ‘meeting good character’ 

I’m now onto my third migration company as nobody ever gets back to me to see if i will have any issues so i thought i’d post here just on the off chance someones been in a similar position before.

I was thinking of applying for a WHV beforehand as i have to meet the guidelines for that so surely if i get accepted for a WHV for good character then i should for a 190/491? 

Hi Tom

The main thing is to be honest, my wife had a caution over some family incident one Xmas and it happened nearly 10 yrs ago at the point of applying for our visa.

It would depend on what your conviction was for and also how long ago it happened.

On 24/02/2023 at 06:42, tomwatson92 said:

In order to give proper advice, any Agent will need to see the results of the Police Clearance to assess against the Character requirements of the visa you are hoping to apply for.

Not guaranteed, they may take a chance on someone with a relatively minor record way in the past on a visa that they know means you'll be here 2 years and can be chucked out if you misbehave.

Once they give you a PR you are Australia's problem - it's very hard to deport a PR (the hint is in the word permanent) so they are much more picky about who is let in forever

Looking at filing for a 190 or 491....Only part that has me in a grey area from applying is i unfortunately have a UK record, (1 caution, 1 conviction) according the homeaffairs website, i don’t meet any of the red flags (no jail time, no specific crimes that they list) only thing is the ‘meeting good character’ 

I’m now onto my third migration company...

Raul (who is an agent) has explained why the migration agents haven't got back to you.  You'll likely have to book a proper, paid consultation with one (Raul would be a good option) to get an accurate professional opinion.     It's becoming less common for migration agents to offer a free consultation these days, and those that do are often just touting for business (they're hardly going to give you a free hour of their time, then say you've got no chance, are they?).

Bottom line, migrating to Australia is a long, expensive business.  In that context, the fee for a one-off consultation with an agent is a drop in the bucket.  Get some quotes from a few good agents, e.g. Raul (above), Suncoast Migration, GoMatilda, then bite the bullet. 

• 2 weeks later...

So i finally had a consultation this morning to clear everything up - i should be okay, my warning & conviction aren’t against another human being so got given the thumbs up. Got told they’re clamping down on crimes including violence (which mine isn’t) 

It does make sense to me that the WHV agenda is maybe a bit more relaxed as theres a 99.9% chance they have to leave after 2/3 years as Ausvisitor mentioned but i got told to apply for a WHV just to confirm i pass the character test.

I did get some conflicting info between the agent & Vetassess’ website on my occupation requirement so now i have to try figure that out…

• Like 1