What to do with Super When Return To UK.

MATT818

Hi All

I am returning to the UK later this year and was wondering what people have done with their super as I know you can't transfer your super from Oz to the UK?

I have about 15 years of contribution's made to my super so I have  fair bit in there but as I'm not going to be putting any more into it was wondering what others have done.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, MATT818 said:

I am returning to the UK later this year and was wondering what people have done with their super as I know you can't transfer your super from Oz to the UK?

I have about 15 years of contribution's made to my super so I have  fair bit in there but as I'm not going to be putting any more into it was wondering what others have done.

There's really only one way to do it.

As you say, if you are returning to the UK to live, it's not worth contributing any more to super from now on.

Before you go

You're not stuck with the superannuation company you're currently in.  Check to make sure it's the best you can get.   There are some awful ones out there, particularly the ones run by the big banks and investment companies (which you'd think should be the best, but there you go).   

There's a few comparison tools which let you compare super fund performance. Try them out. Here's two:

https://www.canstar.com.au/superannuation/compare/best-performing-super-funds/

https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/YourSuper-comparison-tool/

If you decide it's worth moving to another fund, make sure you do it before you move to the UK (and allow time for the whole thing to be completed before you leave).   It's very easy, just contact the super fund you want to move to, and they'll organise it all. There's just a form to fill in. 

Once you've left Australia

Write to your super fund with your new UK address (and remember to keep them updated when you move in future).   Instruct them to cancel all insurance policies (because they're probably not valid in the UK anyway).  

That's it.  If you've chosen a good super fund, your super balance will keep on growing even though you're not contributing any more. 

At retirement

Be very careful when you reach retirement age and want to withdraw the money. If you take a lump sum, it's tax free in Australia, BUT the British taxman will grab a massive chunk of it.  It's probably better to bring it over in dribs and drabs, or convert it to a pension ('income stream'). You'll still pay tax on it, but it's just treated like normal income.

Edited by Marisawright