Considering move to Mandurah from NZ ?

Rik

7 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Well then they must all be in the Inner City Perth . MH plates are very prominent here in the Ice business which is overwhelming (but country plates in general) Mandurah was not termed methdurah for no reason. Again I refer to manufacture. My area has very limited, visible  addicts, but simply business .

A balanced view? No. WA is a world leader in Ice. Perth the top city in the world. As it as all around me I do keep an eye on what is going down. I never claimed all in MH are doing it , I said there is a severe problem with it there. Further down the road, Bunbury , was a few years back severely burdened by the plight of Ice. A simple search will confirm this and I'm told not much  has changed. What is sad, is people attempting to down play, or worse deny the greatest social problem we are enduring in WA. The country is severely impacted especially my former home town, where a demonstration of hundreds of people have marched over recent years in protest of what is happening. 

One thing that did amaze me though. The  sort of people engaged in this are probably the least expected participants in breaking the law. All in complete denial of course and work very hard at normalcy. 

MH plates?! I think we will leave it there...

I've lived in Mandurah for seven years and guess what I've never had a MH plate. In fact nor has anyone I know and having just had a quick look walking my dogs nor has anyone in my street, although there were a couple a bit further out. Having Pom friend cops, they suggest that meth is no worse in Mandurah than other areas. I do agree though it is a real issue in WA, but I'd like to think the younger generations are now steering clear. More education and obviously able to see the long term effects on others will see numbers drop slowly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I've lived in Mandurah for seven years and guess what I've never had a MH plate. In fact nor has anyone I know and having just had a quick look walking my dogs nor has anyone in my street, although there were a couple a bit further out. Having Pom friend cops, they suggest that meth is no worse in Mandurah than other areas. I do agree though it is a real issue in WA, but I'd like to think the younger generations are now steering clear. More education and obviously able to see the long term effects on others will see numbers drop slowly.

This has nothing to do with Mandurah but here in Tassie a few years ago, a small town called Smithton had a big problem with meth.  Locals were totally fed up of it and "dobbed" in many of  the people involved.  As you mentioned the younger generation are steering clear of it.  The police are right on top of any dodgy goings on and most people have no fear of reporting any suspicions to the police.  We also have Pom neighbours who are cops and know exactly (here in Devonport) where any "funny business" might be happening.  Can't understand why the WA cops can't do more about the meth problem there.

• Like 2

On 04/10/2022 at 11:34, Jon the Hat said:

It is one person's opinion against just about everyone else I think.  I suspect you have to be very unfortunate to find yourself in the midst of it.  

It is not one person's opinion. It is fact. How long have you be living in MH again?  The fact that Mandurah is experienced severe problems with Ice (meth) is not something  recent. It is worse than five years ago? That I don't know, but as Perth has regained the status of top city in the world for Ice usage, I can only assume it has. But the number of Mandurah plate cars (MH) is very numerous in my area , some have Metro plates, but Mandurah and dealers name under the plate. 

What I suspect is a person may not be aware they are living next door to or in a street full of it, unless they are feral or actual users. As in Perth, I would suggest the suburbs are as exposed, to meth manufacture as anywhere else. We have a very major problem with meth manufacture in this state (besides use) Back to Mandarah. I have attempted contact with MP down there, over a year ago as well as the Mandarah local paper. It is something a lot of people do know about and at the very least have heard of it being a problem there. 

I would not live there personally, which doesn't mean every suburb and/or street is bad , but bad enough to not want to what is a considerable problem . Personal obviously. Just as others are not bothered. But I won't go further with that. 

2 hours ago, benj1980 said:

Your choice. Mandurah being so close to Perth often use metro plates. That being so , it is suggestive of Mandurah being even worse than I anticipated just going by the number of Mandurah cars around. As I mentioned before far from only Mandurah, but notable among other country plates. 

I would say your Pom cop mates are right in stating it is no worse than some other areas. Thing being we are experiencing an epidemic, that is not being addressed. Bunbury would not be better. I can name other places. 

I have no idea if younger people are stating clear of Ice. I would suggest neither do you. What I do know is that many are in the business of manufacture. Now that I do know. What I don't know is if they also take it. But I suspect mostly not.  Most are purely in it for the money . Many P platers. Many, if not most, middle class, well turned out and most likely not immediately suspicious   to those not engaged or clueless to events around them .

31 minutes ago, Toots said:

This has nothing to do with Mandurah but here in Tassie a few years ago, a small town called Smithton had a big problem with meth.  Locals were totally fed up of it and "dobbed" in many of  the people involved.  As you mentioned the younger generation are steering clear of it.  The police are right on top of any dodgy goings on and most people have no fear of reporting any suspicions to the police.  We also have Pom neighbours who are cops and know exactly (here in Devonport) where any "funny business" might be happening.  Can't understand why the WA cops can't do more about the meth problem there.

You are fortunate that locals dobbed in meth houses in Smithton. I know Tasmania has issues around Ice in that state. We are not so fortunate in WA. Or the problem is way more out of control than Tasmania. I know it is Australia wide, but I believe it fetches a higher price in WA. Probably due to the mining industry. But I've been told that building sites are often inflicted by workers taking it. 

There was a 'Dob In' line several years ago as well as a Meth inspired unit within the police. They were disbanded years ago. Country Victoria, like Country WA are both seriously impacted. 

7 hours ago, Skani said:

I'm thinking "What the heck is an MH plate?"

WE are the only state in Australia where most every town and shire has a number plate representing their individual area. For example A is Albany town area and suburbs while A. or I think AL. is the shire (farms etc outside of town area). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, welljock said:

MH is one of the "district plates" designations for WA car number plates the MH being for Mandurah. BSN would be Busselton, MR - Margaret River and about 100 other ones

There are some less identifiable ones as well. For instance Derby is KW (Kimberely West) and Mt Barker is PL. (Plantagenet)  I think a number of Margaret River cars have AU. with MR being in the Augusta/Margaret River Shire. 

10 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I'm fully aware of MH plates. I'm also fully aware that most people who live in Mandurah don't have them.

I suspected it could not be otherwise. But surely indicative , as already mentioned, of the severity of the drug problem in Mandurah?  (surely the majority have not moved to the metro?)

On 07/10/2022 at 06:47, Blue Flu said:

I suspected it could not be otherwise. But surely indicative , as already mentioned, of the severity of the drug problem in Mandurah?  (surely the majority have not moved to the metro?)

I think people buy and sell cars quite regularly, so I suspect you wouldn't have any figures to back up MH plate ownership within Mandurah and neither do I. However living in Mandurah for 7 years there's far more vehicles without MH plates than with. This is why I find the basis of your argument on this bizarre. In fact if it's MH plate owners facilitating the drug trade in Mandurah the police should have a secret focus on these plates for a while!

4 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I think people buy and sell cars quite regularly, so I suspect you wouldn't have any figures to back up MH plate ownership within Mandurah and neither do I. However living in Mandurah for 7 years there's far more vehicles without MH plates than with. This is why I find the basis of your argument on this bizarre. In fact if it's MH plate owners facilitating the drug trade in Mandurah the police should have a secret focus on these plates for a while!

As earlier relate not solely Mandurah plates obviously loads from other country areas like Bunbury and Albany as an example. While people do sell cars often, the frequency of such plates (and Victorian) was not the case even four years ago. So yes, going on the heavy Ice (methamphetamine ) in country towns it most certainly be connected. 

As you've lived there several years, it would be hard for you not to have at least have an awareness of the severe methamphetamine problem there.  The drug trade is being facilitated on many levels not just MH plate owners. It is just a well-known hot spot , one among many, hardly surprising when we live in the number one consuming place for that grub drug in the world. I fully admit that I live in the midst of it. Nothing bizarre about stating something well known and documented.