Rights of Way, Footpaths

Russ1976

Have a look at this Russ.  https://parks.tas.gov.au/things-to-do/walks/map-of-walks

It's not like the UK as far as bridle paths etc.  Farmers wouldn't be too happy if you walked through their fields.  I read that there have been instances of people attacked by cows in the UK.  Are people stupid or what.  Why would you walk through a field of cows especially if they have calves.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Toots said:

Have a look at this Russ.  https://parks.tas.gov.au/things-to-do/walks/map-of-walks

It's not like the UK as far as bridle paths etc.  Farmers wouldn't be too happy if you walked through their fields.  I read that there have been instances of people attacked by cows in the UK.  Are people stupid or what.  Why would you walk through a field of cows especially if they have calves.

Thanks for the link. Take no notice of ‘people being attacked by cows’, it’s as regular as ‘people being eaten by sharks’. 

I walk pretty much wherever I want here in the UK, 99% of farmers are cool, as long as you aren’t cutting through the middle of their fields.

So can I assume there are no equivalents to public footpaths?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Russ1976 said:

Thanks for the link. Take no notice of ‘people being attacked by cows’, it’s as regular as ‘people being eaten by sharks’. 

I walk pretty much wherever I want here in the UK, 99% of farmers are cool, as long as you aren’t cutting through the middle of their fields.

No it's definitely not the same as the UK.  I go for long walks/hikes in the National Parks BUT no dogs are allowed there.  You have dogs?

There are loads of walks but not over farmland - at least not in the area where we live.  Here are a couple of examples of walks I do regularly with our dog.  https://www.alltrails.com/trail/australia/tasmania/devonport-cycle-and-walking-track and https://www.alltrails.com/trail/australia/tasmania/stubbs-road-and-northern-exposure-loop.  There are others as well.  They are not challenging but the dog and I are not spring chickens.

You are correct about not cutting through the middle of fields.  Stick near the fence.  I was brought up on a farm and that was one thing we were taught from an early age.  😉

• Like 1

The default position here is that you don't trespass on private land.   In special circumstances - such as fishers wanting access to a river - you approach the owner for permission.

But it's no hardship here given the huge area of parks, reserves, and crown land available for walking.  I have a vague memory of mentioning this to you before (although it may have been someone else) but this is a great resource for walking in the local Hobart area:  https://www.greaterhobarttrails.com.au/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I've not been walking in the UK for a long time but if there's a public footpath thru a field then I THINK(?) the farmer has obligations regarding walkers.

Walking between a cow and its calf is not a good idea but other than that situation I THINK(?) it's safe to walk through a field.

Are farmers allowed to keep a bull on its own in a field?

In the New Forest where I'm from livestock runs free and, again, walking between a cow or pony and its young is foolish, ditto trying to pay NF ponies.

For all that, I'm a scaredy cat(and a poet) and I doubt I'd walk thru a field with livestock in it.

23 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I've not been walking in the UK for a long time but if there's a public footpath thru a field then I THINK(?) the farmer has obligations regarding walkers.

Walking between a cow and its calf is not a good idea but other than that situation I THINK(?) it's safe to walk through a field.

Are farmers allowed to keep a bull on its own in a field?

In the New Forest where I'm from livestock runs free and, again, walking between a cow or pony and its young is foolish, ditto trying to pay NF ponies.

For all that, I'm a scaredy cat(and a poet) and I doubt I'd walk thru a field with livestock in it.

Farmers aren't allowed to keep dairy bulls in fields crossed by footpaths. For some reason dairy bulls are much more aggressive than beef bulls.

You have to make a judgement call with cows, and a lot depends on whether you have a dog. I often cross fields with cattle walking or on my bike. Sometimes coming close to them and I've never had a problem.

On 25/08/2022 at 09:43, Russ1976 said:

More people are killed by cows than sharks, but both are very minor.

Sometimes paths do go straight across the field. It's usually pretty obvious where the path goes. But I use footpathmap.co.uk as it is free (you can pay) and it has a GPS so you can keep to the paths. I was hoping to find a site like that in Australia.

On 25/08/2022 at 09:13, Toots said:

If you are at the end of a ten mile walk and you find cows in the field you need to cross to get home what do you do?

I have been in that situation with cows and calves on the path and I decided to take another route.

But sometimes you might not have that option. Farmers do tend to move their stock around, and you sometimes find cows unexpectedly.

On the south downs you get the Scottish cows with the really big horns, but they are gentle giants.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2022 at 08:20, Russ1976 said:

In the UK, we have OS maps available, paper form and digital, showing us footpaths, bridle paths etc. Is there an Australian equivalent? Thanks for reading.

Alltrails.com doesn't look that bad. Haven't used it but searched for walks in South West wa and it came up with quite a few. 

There are a few others, but until you test them in anger you won't know how good they are.

I'm planning on doing some walking when I'm in Oz later this year so I can report back then.

• Like 1