"New"?

Kiwimel123

Hi,

We purchased a weber kettle BBQ in the sales last year and have yet to take it out of the box as we were waiting for UK summer.  Id quite like to take it with us but the shipping company mentioned we can't take anything new.  Ive also been gifted some lovely white company home scenting kits (candle/reed diffuser/room spray/essential oils) and a lovely Neom diffuser with essential oils from my company as a leaving gift.  Add to this, my daughters 5th birthday before we go.

Just how strict are they with this rule?  Im definitely not planning on setting up a shop on arrival, but it'd be nice to know we could perhaps ship any trinkets she got from her school friends for her birthday or as leaving gifts.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

You can buy them here of course. Not sure it is worth the hassle of bringing.

You could just sell it and rebuy in Australia....

I would agree, but ONLY if leaving the BBQ behind lets them bring something else of value instead.  Or if it will save them money on shipping.  

However, if they're paying for a container, the best way to use it is to fill it, even if some of the things they bring aren't really necessary. You're paying for the space, not the weight. 

The trouble with selling stuff in the UK, then rebuying, is that usually you get peanuts when you sell stuff. 

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

However, if they're paying for a container, the best way to use it is to fill it

Not always the case, I paid for a sole 20" container use last time I went from  UK-AU , but the  quotation  also had a set amount on cubic feet, in the end I was charged extra because our stuff  went  over by about 30 cubic feet  but was way under the capacity of the container.

that was the clause in my quotation :"The estimated loading capacity of one 20' General Purpose Container is 1050 cubic feet of household effects. Should you wish to add to your volume of 625 cubic feet the additional charge to cover packing and destination charges would be £4.10 per cubic foot Maximum £489.00 (subject to the total volume not exceeding one 20' General Container load)"

the shipping company mentioned we can't take anything new

never  was told I can't take anything new, I think the definition of new is "bought less than 12 month ago"    not packed in an unopened box,

Any item under 12 month old  you just have to list them on the paperwork with a date and value , done that before , never had any issues, my total of new stuff was under A$1000  though

• Like 1

We listed a couple of new items which where still in their box and unused, but mainly because I figured it was cheaper than them opening up our huge tent to make sure it was clean!  The rules are there to make sure people are not buying things to sell on arrival for a profit and to avoid import duties / GST.  Assuming you are not doing that then I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

I diligently filled out the shipping forms listing everything that was bought within the last 12 months (as the form requested), but was then told by the shipping agent not to do that because, essentially, no-one cares unless you are actually trying to ship new goods for commercial gain.

• Like 2