IELTS re-mark

Hi all,

I recently sat my IELTS, aiming for Superior English for maximum points which is 8 or above giving me +20 on the skilled visa application. I got my results today which were Listening - 9, Reading - 8.5, Speaking - 8.5 but Writing - 7.5. I'm a bit bummed as I'm an English native speaker with a decent A-Level in English 🤣. I practiced hard, took nothing for granted, was familiar with the test process etc. and felt like I did well on test day so I've asked for a re-mark of the Writing section (paying £120 for the pleasure which gets refunded if they change it).

I wondered if anyone had any experience of getting the writing section re-marked and if so, were you successful? I will resit if needed of course. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

Your IELTS score is pretty much similar to mine! I sat it three times and couldn’t get higher than a 7.5 in writing. I’ve a Masters degree and a Post grad but it doesn’t make a difference in IELTS! Try the PTE. It is much easier to study for. I passed mine with a 90. The PTE question bank and mock test were recommend to me from a thread on here. It helped. and watch YouTube videos that’s a good study source. 

2 minutes ago, Elaine N said:

Your IELTS score is pretty much similar to mine! I sat it three times and couldn’t get higher than a 7.5 in writing. I’ve a Masters degree and a Post grad but it doesn’t make a difference in IELTS! Try the PTE. It is much easier to study for. I passed mine with a 90. The PTE question bank and mock test were recommend to me from a thread on here. It helped. and watch YouTube videos that’s a good study source. 

Thanks for the reply, it's a pain isn't it! Yeah I did read that the PTE was a little nicer but my nearest Pearson test centre is miles away, whereas IELTS do a mobile test centre fairly close 1 or 2 days a month so I thought I'd take a punt (knowing that I may live to regret it!).

The writing is a tough one because it's subjective so I'm going for the re-mark with crossed fingers and a big slice of realism while waiting for the next test date to come round. If neither of those things pan out I reckon I'll make the journey for PTE 

I had a similar issue to other posters on here. I too got a 7.5 in writing but 9 in everything else.

I've got a master's in English and write detailed reports for a living, if I do anything well it is writing in English.

I was told that remarks are just a way for them to charge you double for the privilege of failing you anyway.

Cut your losses and book a train ride to the nearest PTE centre, you will walk that test based on your IELTS score

• Thanks 1

Update - I got my re-mark back after 2 days and they upped me to 8 rather than 7.5 meaning I get the 20 points I was aiming for and get my £120 back! Pretty ridiculous, but I guess it's worth the challenge if you're close to the mark 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Congratulations 1