Prison officer

Jen uk

Same as any other career.

The main sticking point is whether your career is on the list of jobs Australia is looking to bring people in to fill.

It's quite hard to look up which careers are being accepted by AUS (since a really good site anzscosearch stared charging), but a quick Google seems to suggest the usual visas 189/190/491 aren't an option so unless you have an AUS degree you might struggle.

Best to have a quick consultation with a migration agent on this rather than spend ages trying to hunt down the answer, they will just know it..

That's actually the wrong question.  There are several skilled visas, but the main difference between them is whether they're permanent or temporary etc, they all cover pretty much the same occupations.

Australia is fussy about which occupations they accept. They don't want to import people if they feel there's already enough locals who can do the job.  That means the occupation list is quite short, and if your occupation isn't on the lists, you can't migrate, end of story. 

So, your first task is to find out if Prison Officer is on any of the lists.  If it is, your next task is to find out if you've got the right qualifications, then if you can score enough points.  It's a complicated process these days and your best bet would be to book a one-off consultation with a good migration agent.  They will know exactly what visas are available and whether you qualify and you'll know where you stand in an hour or so.   Try Go Matilda or Suncoast Migration.

Also if vocation is on the list it doesn't mean there is a shortage. It can still pose a struggle to find a position suitably qualified for. I recall this with accountants a few years back. But Prison Officer I imagine may well be shortages,  but doesn't mean it is listed as such. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2022 at 03:24, Jen uk said:

Does anyone know what visa is needed to emigrate to Australia from the uk as a prison officer??

As mentioned it’s not on the skills list currently 

We came out on 489 visa under Corrections Officer in 2017 started application in 2014

As an ex UK Prison Officer I looked at this constantly and the only place that had this on its skills list was the Northern Territory 

It removed it in 2018 

My advice check the Northern Territory skills list periodically as it may come back you never know 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...