How to sell UK Shares?

jakc

Born in UK, lived in Australia last 12 years - dual citizen.

In the UK, I own some shares in BP p.l.c

I have my original share certificate which was for 700 units.

With Dividend Reinvesting turned on, this has now accrued to 829 shares.

I have access to mybpshares, but this wont let you sell.
It mentions the below:

There is no direct facility to buy or sell shares using the bp Share Centre. Investors normally use a stockbroker, bank, building society or 'share shops' to buy or sell shares on the open market.

Any advice on how to sell BP shares from overseas?

I spotted this forum post:

the BP Registrar in the UK - absolutely REFUSE to help Australian shareholders

Any ideas?  Not likely to be heading back anytime soon and need to liquidate some money back home to lend to family fairly quick.

image.png

2 hours ago, jakc said:

Born in UK, lived in Australia last 12 years - dual citizen.

In the UK, I own some shares in BP p.l.c

I have my original share certificate which was for 700 units.

With Dividend Reinvesting turned on, this has now accrued to 829 shares.

I have access to mybpshares, but this wont let you sell.
It mentions the below:

Any advice on how to sell BP shares from overseas?

I spotted this forum post:

Any ideas?  Not likely to be heading back anytime soon and need to liquidate some money back home to lend to family fairly quick.

image.png

They seem to have provided all the information needed for how to sell your shares - use a stockbroker, bank, building society or 'share shop'. They're even suggested how to go about finding a stockbroker. So what exactly are you asking? Are you claiming that there is no stockbroker, bank, building society or 'share shop' that is capable of verifying your ID without you flying to the UK? That seems unlikely when some of them operate exclusively via the internet.

• 1 year later...

Hey Metoo.  Short answer is no, I still have them.

When in the UK for a couple of months, I setup a Hargreaves Lansdowne account, and plan was to then transfer paper certificates to them and sell them off. 

Due to being dual citizen, this led to me needing to provide additional evidence (with fees) to prove who I was.

Then there was fees for converting from paper to digital.  

Ended up just sitting on them - made sure I changed the Dividend Reinvestment Plan to off, and pay dividends into UK bank accounts, and use that money to buy the family the Birthday presents.  

Put it in the too hard basket for now, and will re-visit next time I am back in the UK or have some time to make a bunch of international calls.

Let me know if you have any luck!

12 hours ago, Metoo said:

Hay @Jakc did you manage to sell your shares please. I am having the same problem with Tesco shares. I wish I had sold them before I left the uk, what a pain this has become.

What is the problem you are having? Do you have an Aussie online brokerage like ComSec or NabTrade etc.

Just ring them and ask them for the form to fill out.

• 4 months later...
On 26 July 2023 at 11:49, jakc said:

Hey Metoo.  Short answer is no, I still have them.

When in the UK for a couple of months, I setup a Hargreaves Lansdowne account, and plan was to then transfer paper certificates to them and sell them off. 

Due to being dual citizen, this led to me needing to provide additional evidence (with fees) to prove who I was.

Then there was fees for converting from paper to digital.  

Ended up just sitting on them - made sure I changed the Dividend Reinvestment Plan to off, and pay dividends into UK bank accounts, and use that money to buy the family the Birthday presents.  

Put it in the too hard basket for now, and will re-visit next time I am back in the UK or have some time to make a bunch of international calls.

Let me know if you have any luck!

Thanks Jakc,

i stil have mine too. How I wish I had sold them before we left.  I wonder if we could transfer them to a uk relative and have them sell them for us?