Hobart suburbs

Russ1976

I am after some advice and recommendations for suburban living in Hobart. We hope to be living here from the UK arriving late May I hope. My job will mean potential travel to differing areas around Hobart. The company is registered in Tolmans Hill, however this is ‘head office’ and nothing more, we do not need to be there. I would like to know of experiences of travelling from east Hobart using the Tasman Bridge, how feasible it would be, particularly rush our, whenever that maybe. Could anyone offer any information on Rokeby and Tranmere, more I guess in travelling into and around Hobart from there.

We are a couple with no children who will arrive with PR. Initially we think it’s likely we will rent and then hopefully buy land or property more for investment purposes. Longer term it’s possible we may move further out but to start we will definitely be in Hobart and the surrounds. Ideally we would like easy access to a beach or the river, walking distance preferably. Somewhere with ample green spaces to exercise and walk our dogs, no more than 30 mins commute to CBD as and when we need to, ideally using public transport though we will have our own car(s). Not to fussed on it being ‘family friendly’, happy for there to be a more of a relaxed quiet place.

We are both very excited in coming to live in Tasmania, and I hope some of you will be able to offer advice and information that will help us for our initial move.

Thanks.

Hobart is a small town.  Locals complain about the difficulty of getting over the bridge in rush hour, and it's true, there can be traffic jams.  However if you're used to traffic jams in British cities, you'll probably fall over laughing at what they consider a traffic jam in Hobart!

I'm not a Hobart resident but we have been considering living there.  Nothing is very far from anywhere in Hobart.   If you like the beach then look at Bellerive or Howrah, but bear in mind that the climate in Tasmania isn't conducive to a beach lifestyle.   Rokeby strikes me as bogan territory ( roughly the equivalent of chavs in Australia).  The views from homes on the Tranmere peninsula are lovely but there's nothing else there, really, and public transport from there to the city isn't good.  You're reliant on buses in Hobart.

If you're a young couple with no kids then I'd be staying on the city side of the bridge. North Hobart and the New Town are where most of the nice restaurants and cafes are.  

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks for the reply. Howrah has been mentioned to us as a suburb to consider by my employer, as has Lindisfarne both on the east side. We are aware of the temperature and climate, a beach or river access is still important to us though. I swim outside in the sea here in winter so that’s no issue. 

8 minutes ago, Russ1976 said:

Thanks for the reply. Howrah has been mentioned to us as a suburb to consider by my employer, as has Lindisfarne both on the east side. We are aware of the temperature and climate, a beach or river access is still important to us though. I swim outside in the sea here in winter so that’s no issue. 

I swim in the sea often during the summer here on the north west coast.

Hobart is a super wee city but I have been informed of suburbs that are best to avoid if you can.  Here they are:

Parts of Glenorchy

Moonah

Derwent Park

Gagebrook

Bridgewater and Risdon

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Russ1976 said:

Ah in that case I'd say Bellerive would appeal and Howrah is only a hop skip and a jump from there.  Lindisfarne offers beautiful views back to the city and Mt Wellington but again, there is'nt much in the way of amenities there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russ1976 said:

. I would like to know of experiences of travelling from east Hobart using the Tasman Bridge, how feasible it would be, particularly rush our, whenever that maybe. Could anyone offer any information on Rokeby and Tranmere, more I guess in travelling into and around Hobart from there.

We are a couple with no children who will arrive with PR. Initially we think it’s likely we will rent and then hopefully buy land or property more for investment purposes. Longer term it’s possible we may move further out but to start we will definitely be in Hobart and the surrounds. Ideally we would like easy access to a beach or the river, walking distance preferably. Somewhere with ample green spaces to exercise and walk our dogs, no more than 30 mins commute to CBD as and when we need to, ideally using public transport though we will have our own car(s). Not to fussed on it being ‘family friendly’, happy for there to be a more of a relaxed quiet place.

Hobart resident here.  😀   The  problem with the Tasman Bridge is that any  bingle on it can cause considerable delays as the only alternative is a circuitous route  to the next bridge - the Bowen Bridge - several miles up the river.  The busiest times are roughly 7.30 - 9.30 am and 4 - 6 pm.

Rokeby was established as a broad acre Housing Commission (state social housing) suburb several decades ago. It would be almost last  on my list of "desireable" areas.   Tranmere is much more attractive and also gives you access to Howrah, next door,  with a beach and a foreshore trail stretching 14 km to Geilston Bay upriver:

https://www.greaterhobarttrails.com.au/track/clarence-foreshore-trail/

Public transport exists from Tranmere - but it's not great anywhere in Tasmania.  There are no passenger train services (any more) in the state.  A ferry service is being trialled from Bellerive to the Hobart CBD at the moment.

2 hours ago, Russ1976 said:

For beach or river access - especially for swimming - I would also look at Sandy Bay, Taroona, Kingston or Blackmans Bay.  They all have local swimmers - even in midwinter!  😀  Peak hour traffic can be an issue for the latter two as they are accessed by only one main road - the Southern Outlet.  But all four have lovely green spaces and dog exercise areas, including beaches.  I guess much will depend on budget:  Sandy Bay and Taroona  are among the most expensive suburbs in Hobart.  

I have also moved UK to Hobart this year and lived in Tasmania in the 80s and 90s. 
I grew up around Sandy Bay and now live in Bellerive.  Most of Hobart is lovely!
Howrah, Bellerive, Tranmere and Lindisfarne meet most your requirements but Bellerive and Howrah have better access to beach swimming. All good for foreshore walking though as mentioned above.  
If you’re driving to different Hobart destinations for work the Eastern Shore is actually quite central and easy to get to eg Kingston, South Arm, Cambridge and Claremont. 
The bridge is a breeze - less than 10 minutes to North Hobart or the CBD at 8am. Like any car journey a big accident can take out lanes and cause trouble but these are rare. 
Public transport is doable but requires planning as services not frequent enough. I commute to the CBD by ferry or bus as this seems normal to me after the UK. Hopefully this will improve as people use their cars a lot here. 
It’s further away but you might like to look at Lauderdale or Seven Mile Beach too.  
You didn’t ask so feel free to ignore but the other thing I’ve noticed is the very different place of dogs here vs the UK.  I am used to friends’ dogs being better behaved than their children and coming out for coffee/lunch/the pub which does not really happen here. Dogs are also not allowed in the National Parks in Tas, which are a real highlight of the place. 
Good luck with your planning. 

2 minutes ago, CornishDoc said:

The bridge is a breeze - less than 10 minutes to North Hobart or the CBD at 8am. Like any car journey a big accident can take out lanes and cause trouble but these are rare. 

Thanks for saying that!   I've heard Hobart residents complain about how accidents take out lanes as if it happens all the time, but I had a feeling that was exaggerated - at least by comparison to the kind of traffic jams and closures anyone used to busy British roads will be used to.   Anyway, my husband reminded me that the bridge was closed off for road works one day when we were visiting,and having to drive via the other bridge wasn't that big a deal, only 20-25 minutes extra.  When you're used to getting to town in 10 minutes I know that's a pain - but when I lived in Sydney, a bingle on the motorway could turn my 20-minute commute into well over 2 hours, so it doesnt seem that bad to me!

48 minutes ago, CornishDoc said:

I have also moved UK to Hobart this year and lived in Tasmania in the 80s and 90s. 
I grew up around Sandy Bay and now live in Bellerive.  Most of Hobart is lovely!
Howrah, Bellerive, Tranmere and Lindisfarne meet most your requirements but Bellerive and Howrah have better access to beach swimming. All good for foreshore walking though as mentioned above.  
If you’re driving to different Hobart destinations for work the Eastern Shore is actually quite central and easy to get to eg Kingston, South Arm, Cambridge and Claremont. 
Public transport is doable but requires planning as services not frequent enough. I commute to the CBD by ferry or bus as this seems normal to me after the UK. Hopefully this will improve as people use their cars a lot here. 
It’s further away but you might like to look at Lauderdale or Seven Mile Beach too.  
You didn’t ask so feel free to ignore but the other thing I’ve noticed is the very different place of dogs here vs the UK.  I am used to friends’ dogs being better behaved than their children and coming out for coffee/lunch/the pub which does not really happen here. Dogs are also not allowed in the National Parks in Tas, which are a real highlight of the place. 

Again, thank you for this information. We haven’t looked at Lauderdale or Seven Mile Beach, to be honest I hadn’t heard of them, but will definitely take a look. The bridge doesn’t seem to bad at all then, that’s good to know as I was thinking it may be one of the big concerns when deciding where to live, evidently it may not be of huge concern. 

21 hours ago, CornishDoc said:

Lauderdale and Seven Mile Beach appear to be very close to the airport, that would stop us considering those suburbs.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

If you use Google Maps and set it to “arrive by” or “depart at” peak times on a weekday, you’ll get a pretty accurate idea of driving times. 

Thanks. I’m aware of that option, however I’d rather have the opinion and knowledge of people or locals in the area who will have daily experience and information. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Russ1976 said:

Thanks. I’m aware of that option, however I’d rather have the opinion and knowledge of people or locals in the area who will have daily experience and information. 

Sure, just making sure you're aware. You'd be surprised how many people don't think of it.   As you're finding, there aren't many Hobart locals on these forums.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 20:42, Russ1976 said:

@CornishDoc do you think Snug and Margate are to far a drive, or would you know the time it takes to dive to CBD from there?

I’ve been through a few times but not during rush hour so not sure. I would say that none of the driving around Hobart is particularly arduous, but everyone has their own threshold for what they are willing to do. Both are nice small places. Google maps is surprisingly accurate with timings and I use it frequently to work out how long I need. (But the traffic jam red line is rarely actually a reality.)

6 hours ago, CornishDoc said:

I’m not sure of the etiquette re mentioning other social media, but there is a very active FB group about moving to Tasmania that you might find useful if the traffic on

here is light on this subject. If you google moving to tassie you should find it. 

Thank you, we are already in a few social media groups for Tasmania, like this forum, they are helpful.

• 1 month later...