Visitor visa 600 processing times

Kamlesh

I have lodged application online for visitor visa 600 for my parents (didn't do sponsored visa application) living in India on 20/10/21 and thet are doing medicals on 3/11. I was just wondering how long it takes to get grant of visa. I have already checked immigration processing times and it states 7 to 12 months. I was just wondering if someone has applied application recently and got granted or anyone with any knowledge regarding this. I want my parents to join me next months. We are living in Melbourne. Thanks

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

I don't believe you will get a grant until you have a travel exemption. Not 100% sure though. Someone else might be able to confirm.

Yes, on another thread an agent said you apply for the visa, then apply for the exemption as the visa won’t be issued until the exemption is agreed and you need the visa application info to apply for the exemption. That said, I think others have said that you don’t apply for the exemption more than 3 months prior to travel.

@paulhand is this correct? OP’s parents are in India and sounds like a longer visa processing time???

At the moment it’s: 

1. Apply for visa

2. Apply for exemption using the visa application transaction reference number 

3. Exemption granted, then visa granted 

Guidance says only apply for the exemption 2 months before travel. I would place no weight on the published processing times, which are pretty meaningless at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

You don’t qualify for Medicare on 600 visa. You may get some reciprocal health care if you come from one of 11 countries - mostly in Europe 

Thank you. My parents in law are coming from the uk and are waiting on their 143 visa to be granted which was applied for in aug 2016. I read on Medicare that you can apply if you have a PR application submitted? Do you know if this is also correct?  Thank you in advance for any help 

15 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

You don’t qualify for Medicare on 600 visa. You may get some reciprocal health care if you come from one of 11 countries - mostly in Europe 

2 hours ago, Beckip said:

Thank you. My parents in law are coming from the uk and are waiting on their 143 visa to be granted which was applied for in aug 2016. I read on Medicare that you can apply if you have a PR application submitted? Do you know if this is also correct?  Thank you in advance for any help 

If from UK they will get reciprocal health Medicare - go to Centrelink with passport and complete the form they give you. Once they get PR it’s obviously full Medicare as only PR and citizens get full Medicare. Reciprocal doesn’t cover everything just essentials so no cover for ambulance dentist etc and is more restrictive on pre existing conditions.

The website for 600 says

If we grant you a visa that is valid for more than 12 months you might be able to enter Australia multiple times while the visa is valid. You can’t stay in Australia for more than 12 months in total in any 18 month period. You must also have made adequate arrangements for health insurance. 

Edited by LindaH27

50 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

No cover for ambo or dentist on full Medicare either in most states. Just saying…..

Think it’s included in Queensland. . Legally - reciprocal Medicare only covers the following,  despite what people seem to think it covers   

13EE72D5-E787-4CD3-872A-A6ECE2159015.jpeg

Edited by LindaH27

I got granted just now along with my uncle but uncle's exemption is still under consideration. Their visa was applied as one group. The timeline for visa application is below

Visa applied- 21/10/21 

Medicals: 2/11/21

Exemption applied: 3/11/21

Visa granted: 11/11/21

I want to say thank you to everyone especially Paul who told me to apply for exemption. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I applied online from Australia.

For visa application- my account statements, rate notice, letter requesting that  we want our parents to come to Australia, parents account statements including fixed deposit, my birth certificate, parents adhar card and before you submit your application at last, there is checklist written as well you can find in immigration site.

Exemption- my birth certificate, parents covid vaccination certificate, parents passport, birth certificate of my kid as he was born within a year