The Use Of Expired Overseas Police Check For 887 Visa Application

Hello,

I am looking to apply for my 887 visa in a few weeks. I came across this link in the Skilled Visa section on the Department Of Home Affairs website

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/what-we-do/skilled-migration-program/skilled-visa-newsletters/november-2019?fbclid=IwAR34sxOZA_WeNfTNoZPRC1IrgtPjoMeP-BHmALyyy_WXzoFfKJ90eECtHbo

The section I am particularly interested in is "Penal clearance certificates – validity issues"

There has been some confusion in relation the police certificate validity requirements. These requirements are as follows:

• For visa assessment purposes, all police certificates issued are considered valid for 12 months from the date of issue, irrespective of the period specified by the issuing country. 
  • If the applicant returns to the country that issued the police certificate during the certificate’s validity, it will generally not affect the validity.
  • Where an overseas police certificate has expired and the applicant has returned to the country that issued the certificate for more than two months in total (as a cumulative period) since the certificate expired, a new certificate will need to be provided.
  • Where a certificate has expired and the applicant has NOT returned to the country that issued the certificate, a new certificate is not required.

Since my UK police certificate expired (12 months after issue) I have spent just over 2 weeks visiting family in the UK. Interpret that as my time in the UK has been under 2 months I can use my expired police certificate and I don't need to obtain a new one.

However I this information is under the 494 visa section, does this also apply to 887 visa applications as well please?

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Edited by JetBlast

Not sure if it applies to PR visa applications, I always thought that if you hadn’t returned it remained valid, but that if you returned at all it wasn’t. Didn’t realise there was a time limit on the return. 
I guess they might ask for it so if wait and see? Unless the certificates are taking much longer to process these days of course. 

12 hours ago, Parley said:

Bullet Point 1 says it is only valid for 12 months after issue. Si I'm sure you will need to get a new one.

However the bullets below that say an expired cert can be used in some cases

11 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Unless the certificates are taking much longer to process these days of course. 

It takes 12 working days to process the certificate, It's taking about 3 weeks to post from the uk. 33 days turn around and they ask for the document to be returned in 28 days. But if I submit the check too early it will expire before the visa is processed.

8 hours ago, wrussell said:

In some cases a request for PCCs is at the discretion of the delegate.

Thank you. Seems to be the typical visa Aus lottery 🙂

For some countries, it is not possible to obtain a PCC if not in that country and for others the eligibility criteria conflict with those of those of AU.

Sometimes a statutory declaration is accepted in lieu. In these cases I advise clients to obtain a statement from their misssion that nothing adverse was  reported to them; for anything serious it would be.  

The only thing about which you can be 100% certain when dealing with THE department is that the minister will pocket the fees you pay.

Edited by wrussell
sp

12 hours ago, JetBlast said:

It's taking about 3 weeks to post from the uk. 

Assuming it doesn’t get lost ... I always recommend that the certificate is sent to a trusted friend or relative in the UK, so that they can scan it to you. Much quicker and safer.