Jump to content
Cots

We are mad Lol

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I guess what I am saying is they are playing a very different strategy to say Qantas or BA, who are minimising losses by not flying half empty planes.  I know a guy senior at Emirates who has been briefed on this strategy.

That's what I was going to say.  I remember when they were first getting established, they were prepared to cut fares lower than anyone else, while offering higher standards of service, to build their reputation.  It was an expensive strategy that most airlines would've been mad to finance, but the Qataris could afford it.   They have always valued their reputation above their profitability.


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can vouch for Qatar too, they got us to Oz this month with no cancellations..bloomin expensive though! But that's the case with any airline at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We flew into Melb on Etihad - We bagged a return ticket (Out in Business, back in Economy) for £4,100 for 2 adults and an infant. We managed to take 130Kg of luggage + a heavy push chair as part of that. Very pleased with the service and we didn't get cancelled on either!

We found this fare by perusing Skyscanner and Kayak for various dates... There were quite a few different options available a couple of months ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vongole83 said:

We flew into Melb on Etihad - We bagged a return ticket (Out in Business, back in Economy) for £4,100 for 2 adults and an infant. We managed to take 130Kg of luggage + a heavy push chair as part of that. Very pleased with the service and we didn't get cancelled on either!

We found this fare by perusing Skyscanner and Kayak for various dates... There were quite a few different options available a couple of months ago!

Return?


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Return?

Yes we will use the return portion for a visit to the UK next year if COVID allows. The return leg has free changes too. 
 

Forgot to mention the economy return made the price lower than 1 way biz class... booking outwards only was about £12,000! Crazy!

Anyway well worth taking a look as there were lots of dates offering this when we booked. I didn’t want to post about it until we actually got here as I was a little sceptical it wasn’t all too good to be true price-wise

Edited by vongole83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I’d update anyone who’s interested… we left quarantine on May 21st, rented an Airbnb, husband and I both got jobs within 2 weeks having spent our time in quarantine applying for jobs, In fact I’ve just started another job with more money than the first. After 2 months we applied for a mortgage using a broker and on September 17th we walked into our new house! 
 

it hasn’t been easy as I’ve applied for lots of jobs and got lots of interviews but all worth the slog.
 

My 3 children have been in school since the end of May so settling in nicely.

  • Like 7
  • Congratulations 2

176 Visa lodged Oct 09, CO request meds Jan 11. Meds arrived in Oz 14 Feb 11, status changed to processing further 16 Feb 11, PCC sent 23 Feb, VISA GRANTED 25 FEB 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2021 at 23:04, Jon the Hat said:

I guess what I am saying is they are playing a very different strategy to say Qantas or BA, who are minimising losses by not flying half empty planes.  I know a guy senior at Emirates who has been briefed on this strategy.

I heard an ad on 2GB today saying you can book and rebook as many times as you like on Qantas. This is for people booking here in Australia. 

Not that I'll be rushing to fly to England in winter just as the Ashes tour is confirmed and I've endured three and a half months of lockdown in Sydney's winter.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many horror stories about Australian citizens being stuck in Europe and Asia who cannot get home, I wouldn't take a step outside Australia just now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/10/2021 at 04:44, Cots said:

I thought I’d update anyone who’s interested… we left quarantine on May 21st, rented an Airbnb, husband and I both got jobs within 2 weeks having spent our time in quarantine applying for jobs, In fact I’ve just started another job with more money than the first. After 2 months we applied for a mortgage using a broker and on September 17th we walked into our new house! 
 

it hasn’t been easy as I’ve applied for lots of jobs and got lots of interviews but all worth the slog.
 

My 3 children have been in school since the end of May so settling in nicely.

Great news, and I hope the new job is going well.  Our airBnb was pretty ropey, and we were lucky to find a nice furnished rental and signed a 12 month lease so our youngest started school on Wednesday and our eldest starts the coming Tuesday in an excellent SHS.  Job wise I have interviewed for a good role and fingers crossed.  As I expected there are not too many at my level, but lets see how it goes.  

  • Like 1

PR (100) Planning to move to Perth September 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2021 at 02:52, Jon the Hat said:

Great news, and I hope the new job is going well.  Our airBnb was pretty ropey, and we were lucky to find a nice furnished rental and signed a 12 month lease so our youngest started school on Wednesday and our eldest starts the coming Tuesday in an excellent SHS.  Job wise I have interviewed for a good role and fingers crossed.  As I expected there are not too many at my level, but lets see how it goes.  

Awsome to hear  ! Jon how are you finding living in Adelaide ? We are leaving in 2 months.. It is becaming real 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×