80 or 85 points, is it worth me waiting to gain the extra?

skizza83

Hi there,

I am applying to do a skills assessment very soon and have recently used the points calculator to work out how many points i am eligible for, and one of the questions is how many years have you worked in your line of job. It's nearly 8 years in June this year which gives me an extra 5 points. Is it worth me waiting until June to get the extra 5 (instead of 80 it would be 85?).

Also, one last thing. I worked in Sydney for 9 months whilst on a working holiday visa in 2016 but i am unable to get a reference because the company (Nakama) does not exist anymore. Is it still worth me trying to chase someone from that company as a reference for my Skills assessment or is 9 months not worth adding? I have finally got all my other work references now so very nearly ready to apply.

Any help would be appreciated. Nice one 🙂

Edited by skizza83

3 hours ago, skizza83 said:

I am applying to do a skills assessment very soon and have recently used the points calculator to work out how many points i am eligible for, and one of the questions is how many years have you worked in your line of job. It's nearly 8 years in June this year which gives me an extra 5 points. Is it worth me waiting until June to get the extra 5 (instead of 80 it would be 85?).

@skizza83, which visa are you applying for?   You do know that for a 189 visa, there's no point in applying unless you can score over 90 points?  In fact, depending on your occupation,you may need 100 points.  These are the figures from before Covid, and as the quotas are now slashed, everyone is likely to need higher points in future:

https://iscah.com/will-get-189-invite-updated-predictions/

I assume you know to do the English test to get extra points. 

Edited by Marisawright

The state sponsorship route is a little more "black magic" than the 189. The 189 is a defined rule based queue, the 190 allows the states to set their own rules. For instance someone with 80 points might get invited before someone with 85 points (for the same ANZSCO code) because the state prioritised AUS experience or English Skills above age points for example.

That said don't wait to submit. Submit with the lower points you may get invited anyway, if you don't you lose nothing as you just update the EOI on the day you get the extra points awarded.

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

The state sponsorship route is a little more "black magic" than the 189. The 189 is a defined rule based queue, the 190 allows the states to set their own rules. For instance someone with 80 points might get invited before someone with 85 points (for the same ANZSCO code) because the state prioritised AUS experience or English Skills above age points for example.

Although true in the past that is not the case anymore.

For the September and October published rounds, the 189 saw people with as little as 65 points invited.

It appears that  the Government is picking and choosing who they invite, most likely based on the new Priority Occupation List.

However with invite numbers as low as 30 people, the 189 is definitely not an assured option.

15 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

Although true in the past that is not the case anymore.

For the September and October published rounds, the 189 saw people with as little as 65 points invited.

It appears that  the Government is picking and choosing who they invite, most likely based on the new Priority Occupation List.

However with invite numbers as low as 30 people, the 189 is definitely not an assured option.

To be clear, those people with low points were in the Priority list?

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

To be clear, those people with low points were in the Priority list?

I don't know for sure as there are no official statistics on what occupation were invited. 

However, considering that the Priority Occupation List was introduced on the 2nd of September and we saw invites at 65 points from September, it is a reasonable assumption. 

The assumption is also supported by the fact that other programs such as ENS are seeing occultations on the Priority List being processed very quickly, while other occupations languish in the queue waiting to be processed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raul Senise said:

I don't know for sure as there are no official statistics on what occupation were invited. 

However, considering that the Priority Occupation List was introduced on the 2nd of September and we saw invites at 65 points from September, it is a reasonable assumption. 

The assumption is also supported by the fact that other programs such as ENS are seeing occultations on the Priority List being processed very quickly, while other occupations languish in the queue waiting to be processed.

There was an interventional radiologist who put a few posts on here that got an invitation (189) on 65 points. Ours was a 190 on 75. 

As I've said before - I think there's certainly a Drs skills grab with the covid priority list. 

Edited by DrDougster