Advice for a carpenter

Danny19

Hello I'm looking to work in Australia as a joiner but don't know where to start, I heard this was a good place. I'm 40 years old and hold an nvq lv2 in carpentry and joinery, 20 years time served.

Ive heard they're looking for joiners in aus but I'm worried either my age or lv2(most joiners have a lv3) might hold me back. Aside from that I'm not sure if I apply for jobs first then get a visa or vice versa. Anyway this is my first action toward my dream so any info would be much appreciated.

You say you're looking for work, but you sound as though you'd like to migrate to Australia permanently, is that right?

If you just want to work in Australia, then you can get an employer-sponsored visa.  That means finding someone who's willing to give you a job, then they apply for a 482 visa for you. However, that's only temporary for 2 to 4 years.  There's a possibility that you might be able to apply to stay permanently after that, but it's far from guaranteed. I wouildn't recommend it if you have a family, as the cost to move over, and then move back after only a few years, would be horrendous.  

If you want to migrate, then there's no point looking for a job.  You need to get a skilled visa (a 189, 190 or 491), and it takes a year or more for it to be processed.  No employer is going to offer you a job, and then wait 12 months or more for you to turn up!    So it will be a case of applying for the visa, waiting to see if it's granted, then heading off to Australia without a job to go to. 

The problem you'll face is that you don't just apply for a skilled visa, and then wait in an orderly queue until it's your turn.  It's a competition, like applying for a job.  It's a points system, and the people with the highest points win.   You only need 65 points to be allowed to apply for a visa - however, competition is so fierce, it's not even worth applying if that's all you've got.  For the 189 visa, you'll need at least 90 points to stand any chance at all.  For the 190 or 491 it's a bit better, but not that much.   And you don't get a refund if you're not picked!

You get points for qualifications, experience and age.   At 40, you'll have a lower score so that might scupper your chances. 

2 hours ago, cheese n pickle said:

I wouldn't put too much hope on this as there are plenty of young tradies coming through TAFE (Trade and Further Education) so wouldn't say it's an occupation in high demand with no-one to fill the roles. 

I'd disagree. I'd rather employ an older qualified Joiner over anyone from TAFE. I am struggling to find joiners as it is, not so much I'd want to sponsor anyone though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack91 said:

I'd disagree. I'd rather employ an older qualified Joiner over anyone from TAFE. I am struggling to find joiners as it is, not so much I'd want to sponsor anyone though 

Yes, but that's going to cut no ice with Immigration.  An employer wanting to sponsor a joiner to come to Australia, must prove that they can't find any local candidates to take the job.

So if the OP can get a visa and get into Australia, he'll probably be fine, but he's going to have to get here on his own steam first. 

Edited by Marisawright

3 hours ago, Jack91 said:

of course, that's a no-brainer! I just picked up on the fact that the poster might be thinking this is an occupation in high demand. I'm sure there are still lots of carpenters with years of experience in Australia, and as @Marisawright pointed out, employers have to find a local candidate first before sponsoring.  I work in a TAFE so was just sharing that perspective. In fairness to the young, newly-qualified they've got to start somewhere, after all the OP must have been one once!

17 hours ago, Danny19 said:

Hello I'm looking to work in Australia as a joiner but don't know where to start, I heard this was a good place. I'm 40 years old and hold an nvq lv2 in carpentry and joinery, 20 years time served.

Ive heard they're looking for joiners in aus but I'm worried either my age or lv2(most joiners have a lv3) might hold me back. Aside from that I'm not sure if I apply for jobs first then get a visa or vice versa. Anyway this is my first action toward my dream so any info would be much appreciated.

Have a word with an agent and see if you have enough points to apply for a PR visa. Not only is the visa more secure, it also gives you more freedom work wise. I know a few UK joiners who have made the move and all do fine for work, 2 now work for themselves as odd job type carpenters doing kitchen and bathroom units.

Good luck with everything

Cal x

On 06/01/2021 at 13:00, Marisawright said:

Yes, but that's going to cut no ice with Immigration.  An employer wanting to sponsor a joiner to come to Australia, must prove that they can't find any local candidates to take the job.

So if the OP can get a visa and get into Australia, he'll probably be fine, but he's going to have to get here on his own steam first. 

I realise that - I was just stating that it would be my preference to employ someone rather than have to train them. We have asked everyone to do overtime since last February, and it won't be stopping anytime soon. 

On 06/01/2021 at 15:04, cheese n pickle said:

of course, that's a no-brainer! I just picked up on the fact that the poster might be thinking this is an occupation in high demand. I'm sure there are still lots of carpenters with years of experience in Australia, and as @Marisawright pointed out, employers have to find a local candidate first before sponsoring.  I work in a TAFE so was just sharing that perspective. In fairness to the young, newly-qualified they've got to start somewhere, after all the OP must have been one once!

It is in high demand, no doubt about that! I get everyone has to start somewhere, including myself. We employ 3 apprentices, 1 of which will hopefully stay on after he is qualified. The other two I will be happy to see the back of.