How are you meant to open a joint bank account?

How are you meant to create a joint bank account as a partner visa under this 100 point system? I am on a bridging visa(From tourist to partner) and been for a while due the whole pandemic and assisting with some of my partners disabilities.

Now that things were improving I was planning on making a joint account on mebank since it seemed like the 2nd best choice after bank of Australia since they are more ethical, the issue is they said they only needed your passport if you  go through Auspost identification. I went to auspost only to find out that they have that 100 point system which makes it impossible for me to actually make a bank account with my Australian partner, which I will kinda need if I am to get a medicare card/find work etc in the future.

I only have very limited number of documents that could work but most dont seem to be an option, my updated passport, my rent agreement which has our address/names etc(bills included in rent), marriage certificate, Eu debit cards, Greek issued national ID, translated birth certificate

I dont have a drivers license cuz I dont drive and never plan to.

I dont have utility bills because those are included in the rent, and apparently the rent agreement doesnt work for that.

I dont have tax payment forms since I havent started working first and will kinda need to make a bank account first for that.

I dont have a centerlink card since I am not a citizen and I cant get medicare card because the application requires an australia bank account.

(Also apparently the employee asked my partner for his medicare card only to find out that they need a centerlink card instead so medicare card isnt in the list anymore)

The employee noticed I had things like marriage certificate but when she checked her list none of those were there so we couldnt use those either.

Is there any way I can make a joint bank account with my partner with the documents I have available? Because there has to be a way.

You are on a bridging visa.  That means you are only a temporary resident of Australia.  Smaller banks (which might include MeBank) won't open accounts for foreigners.  I suggest trying a bigger bank, used to dealing with international customers, like HSBC.  Go into a branch rather than doing it online.

What country are you from?   I don't think you are entitled to a Medicare card while you are on a bridging visa. If your home country has a reciprocal agreement with Australia, you can be treated under Medicare in Australia, but that is nothing to do with the visa. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You are on a bridging visa.  That means you are only a temporary resident of Australia.  Smaller banks (which might include MeBank) won't open accounts for foreigners.  I suggest trying a bigger bank, used to dealing with international customers, like HSBC.  Go into a branch rather than doing it online.

What country are you from?   I don't think you are entitled to a Medicare card while you are on a bridging visa. If your home country has a reciprocal agreement with Australia, you can be treated under Medicare in Australia, but that is nothing to do with the visa. 

I was on a bridging visa  until I was granted a 309 permanent visa and I was given a Medicare (Light Blue) valid for a year I think it was which was duly replaced with a permanent green Medicare Card.

You can enrol in Medicare if you have a valid temporary visa covered by 1 of these Ministerial Orders: Fulbright scholars. Witness Protection (Trafficking) Temporary visa (subclass 787) De facto partners of Australian citizens or permanent residents.Oct 9, 2020

Edited by Freemantle
addiitonal information

1 hour ago, Questionsearch said:

How are you meant to create a joint bank account as a partner visa under this 100 point system? I am on a bridging visa(From tourist to partner) and been for a while due the whole pandemic and assisting with some of my partners disabilities.

Now that things were improving I was planning on making a joint account on mebank since it seemed like the 2nd best choice after bank of Australia since they are more ethical, the issue is they said they only needed your passport if you  go through Auspost identification. I went to auspost only to find out that they have that 100 point system which makes it impossible for me to actually make a bank account with my Australian partner, which I will kinda need if I am to get a medicare card/find work etc in the future.

I only have very limited number of documents that could work but most dont seem to be an option, my updated passport, my rent agreement which has our address/names etc(bills included in rent), marriage certificate, Eu debit cards, Greek issued national ID, translated birth certificate

I dont have a centerlink card since I am not a citizen and I cant get medicare card because the application requires an australia bank account.

(Also apparently the employee asked my partner for his medicare card only to find out that they need a centerlink card instead so medicare card isnt in the list anymore)

I was never asked for a bank account when applying for a Medicare Card. Naturally they asked for proof of identity and you are probably better off physically going to a Centrelink Office with your documents including Immigration status . If you have "work rights" on a bridging visa you should be entitled to Medicare.

• Like 1

The 100 points test isn't exclusive to Australia Post, it is supposed to be used by all financial institutions.  Here is what you need to meet the requirements:

https://www.finder.com.au/100-point-system

You'll notice there is no mention of a "Centrelink card".  I've lived in Australia for over 30 years and have never had a Centrelink card.  I'm not even sure what it would be used for.  Centrelink does issue concession cards to pensioners etc but it's not called a "Centrelink card".  

Perhaps your partner handed over his private health fund card by mistake, instead of his Medicare one?

Edited by Marisawright

57 minutes ago, Freemantle said:

I was never asked for a bank account when applying for a Medicare Card. Naturally they asked for proof of identity and you are probably better off physically going to a Centrelink Office with your documents including Immigration status . If you have "work rights" on a bridging visa you should be entitled to Medicare. 

I have not contacted them directly to ask but the application "Medicare enrolment form (MS004)" question 19 asks for an Australian bank account and considering how medicare works(You paying first and then them returning an amount) I assume that having an Australian bank account is mandatory.

And yeah my bridging visa has full working rights so I know that is possible though from what I hear there are times people arent aware that this is possible.

49 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You'll notice there is no mention of a "Centrelink card".

After some research I found that what the Auspost showed as 100 point system doesnt seem to be the full 100 point system option and each bank seem to have different requirements under the same 100 point system(At least that is how they call it, they dont mention points)
For example mebank has these which dont include any rental agreements or medicare cards but does include this "centrelink pension card" and doesnt have any option for medicare card

"Primary identification documents
• Australian driver licence or learner permit (current)
• Australian passport (current or expired within the last 2 years)
• International passport (current) (in English or with NAATI translation)
• Proof of age card/NSW photo card (current and government issued)
• Australian birth certificate (not an extract)
• Australian citizenship certificate

Secondary identification documents with residential address
• Utility bill or council rates notice (less than 3 months old)
• Taxation notice or Centrelink statement (less than 12 months old)
• Centrelink pension card (current)
• Under 18's letter issued from a school principal (less than 3 months old) "
Meanwhile HSBC has different 100 point requirements
PRIMARY IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS
You MUST use one of the following to verify your identity:

• Photocard Australian drivers licence issued by an Australian State or Territory #
• Passport• Government issued Proof of Age card
• Foreign National Identity card †
• Foreign drivers licence *

SECONDARY IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS
You MUST use one of the following to verify your address (except if using an Australian drivers licence):

• Local Authority or Government Department letter, or statement dated within the last twelve months, e.g. Australian TaxationOffice (ATO) notice letter or Council Rates Notice
• Bank statements and utility bills (including e-statements) dated within the last three months (internet screenshots are notaccepted) – must contain full first and last names
• Residential property lease agreement / Residential Serviced Apartment lease agreement ^ ( Must record the individual’s lease of a residential property; be current; and be issued by a real estate agent or serviced apartment )
•Mobile phone bill, home internet bill, pay TV bill or utility welcome letter ~

From the looks of it HSBC seem to accept  lease agreements unlike mebank, I just hope mine counts because it has this specific clause "be issued by a real estate agent or serviced apartment" and my agreement is "AU-PRres18 Lodger agreement: licence to rent a room" and was issued by my landlord, not some estate agent and unsure what serviced apartment means.

6 minutes ago, Questionsearch said:

I have not contacted them directly to ask but the application "Medicare enrolment form (MS004)" question 19 asks for an Australian bank account and considering how medicare works(You paying first and then them returning an amount) I assume that having an Australian bank account is mandatory.

Medicare can also pay you in cash if you claim in person at an office, or they can send you a cheque, so you don't need a bank account to receive the payments.

The Centrelink card is just what it says, a Centrelink pension card (only issued to someone on a pension), so not many Australians have one of those.  Interesting that they all vary slightly.  It looks like HSBC is the way to go, because they will take your Greek national ID card and a mobile phone or internet bill.   I don't think your lodger agreement will count as a lease agreement.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It looks like HSBC is the way to go, because they will take your Greek national ID card and a mobile phone or internet bill.   I don't think your lodger agreement will count as a lease agreement. 

Yeah in that case it wouldnt work again mainly cuz they need a document with the address on and neither passport or my ID has the address.

And my license agreement is the only thing that includes and address which I could use since i have no utility bills since they are included in the rent.

And I am not sure if my mobile internet bill from optus would count since it is prepaid

25 minutes ago, Questionsearch said:

Yeah in that case it wouldnt work again mainly cuz they need a document with the address on and neither passport or my ID has the address.

And my license agreement is the only thing that includes and address which I could use since i have no utility bills since they are included in the rent.

And I am not sure if my mobile internet bill from optus would count since it is prepaid

Go in to a branch with everything you have listed and I’m sure they will find enough to count for opening an account.  I find here that the written rules say X and Y but when you speak to a person they say Z will be okay as well, or will suggest other things you can use that isn’t obviously specified on the list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Questionsearch said:

And yeah my bridging visa has full working rights so I know that is possible though from what I hear there are times people arent aware that this is possible.

After some research I found that what the Auspost showed as 100 point system doesnt seem to be the full 100 point system option and each bank seem to have different requirements under the same 100 point system(At least that is how they call it, they dont mention points)
For example mebank has these which dont include any rental agreements or medicare cards but does include this "centrelink pension card" and doesnt have any option for medicare card

"Primary identification documents
• Australian driver licence or learner permit (current)
• Australian passport (current or expired within the last 2 years)
• International passport (current) (in English or with NAATI translation)
• Proof of age card/NSW photo card (current and government issued)
• Australian birth certificate (not an extract)
• Australian citizenship certificate

Secondary identification documents with residential address
• Utility bill or council rates notice (less than 3 months old)
• Taxation notice or Centrelink statement (less than 12 months old)
• Centrelink pension card (current)
• Under 18's letter issued from a school principal (less than 3 months old) "
Meanwhile HSBC has different 100 point requirements

PRIMARY IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS
You MUST use one of the following to verify your identity:

• Photocard Australian drivers licence issued by an Australian State or Territory #
• Passport• Government issued Proof of Age card
• Foreign National Identity card †
• Foreign drivers licence *

SECONDARY IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS
You MUST use one of the following to verify your address (except if using an Australian drivers licence):

• Local Authority or Government Department letter, or statement dated within the last twelve months, e.g. Australian TaxationOffice (ATO) notice letter or Council Rates Notice
• Bank statements and utility bills (including e-statements) dated within the last three months (internet screenshots are notaccepted) – must contain full first and last names
• Residential property lease agreement / Residential Serviced Apartment lease agreement ^ ( Must record the individual’s lease of a residential property; be current; and be issued by a real estate agent or serviced apartment )
•Mobile phone bill, home internet bill, pay TV bill or utility welcome letter ~

From the looks of it HSBC seem to accept  lease agreements unlike mebank, I just hope mine counts because it has this specific clause "be issued by a real estate agent or serviced apartment" and my agreement is "AU-PRres18 Lodger agreement: licence to rent a room" and was issued by my landlord, not some estate agent and unsure what serviced apartment means.

Can you use your partners account for medicare - they just need an account to return any rebate e.g. from GP appointments

How old are you?  You can get a proof of age card if you're relatively young and don't have a licence.

Your landlord or rental agency can possibly write you a letter confirming that you are at that address and that utilities are included in the rental agreement

You probably won't be entitled to a centrelink pensions card

Just word of an advise. If you are not planning on getting License, please get the Photo id card from your state. It will cost you around $50, but solve lots of id proving problem in the future. You don't want to carry your passport all the time to prove your age. I know you have greek id card, but i remember my German friend had problem getting into clubs with his German ID card

Guest The Pom Queen

Agree with @ali’s post and @garrychandi’s. Get yourself a photo ID/Proof of age card it use to be the Department of Transport who issued them.

‘Did you not have a passport when you came to Australia? 

Medicare like Ali said you don’t need the bank details to be in your name as long as you sign a form saying it’s ok for any rebate to be paid  to another account 

15 hours ago, NicF said:

Go in to a branch with everything you have listed and I’m sure they will find enough to count for opening an account.  I find here that the written rules say X and Y but when you speak to a person they say Z will be okay as well, or will suggest other things you can use that isn’t obviously specified on the list.

That is a good suggestion, will have to try that.

14 hours ago, ali said:

Can you use your partners account for medicare - they just need an account to return any rebate e.g. from GP appointments

If that is true then I could do that then, thanks

9 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Get yourself a photo ID/Proof of age card it use to be the Department of Transport who issued them.

‘Did you not have a passport when you came to Australia? 

I did but it expired last June and the embassy was pretty much closed till November due to the virus, only managed to finally get a new one late December, took them almost a month to ship here, now I am just awaiting for my immigration agent to upload it so details are updated.

I live in Victoria so I assume my options are either this proof of age card and keypass ID, proof of age card seems easier to get though I assume there is no issue with me being 28. On category B though the only thing I have is my debit cards from my EU accounts and I am not sure if they count as "Credit card or bank passbook" so might have to wait to get that medicare card first.