Struggling to get a work experience letter from my current employer for Skills assessment for 189

skizza83

Hi there,

I am in the process of getting my documents together to apply for my Skills assessment and have my work experience letters from my previous employers (which are needed for the points scheme). The major issue is that my current employer is not replying to any messages or emails regarding a work experience letter from them. I have sent 6 messages and emails now over the course of 2 months and its very frustrating. Is there any other type of documentation which I could use instead such as my contract which outlines my roles in there, my wages slips, my end of year salary letter etc? Even though I have explained it well to my employer than I may not be leaving I don't think they are happy with the request and are choosing to ignore me (as I can see they have read the emails/messages but are just ignoring my request).

Its 4 years worth of experience / employment for a particular skill set so i cant afford to not include this job in my application points wise.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

it's HR that are ignoring all of my messages and emails. The other person would be the company director but thats going to touch a nerve if I have to start mythering them. Would my contract be substancial do you know? it does say my daily tasks etc on there

5 hours ago, skizza83 said:

it's HR that are ignoring all of my messages and emails. The other person would be the company director but thats going to touch a nerve if I have to start mythering them. Would my contract be substancial do you know? it does say my daily tasks etc on there

I have found this quite common with HR Departments of late, since working from home has become the new norm for many companies.

They are often inefficient and don't respond to requests quickly. When you do finally get hold of someone they are  busy walking the dog or feeding a child.

The consequences of working from home. 

I recommend escalating to the next level.

• Thanks 1

thanks for your replies. 

Its ACS (Australian computing society). I am a Web developer and have been for 8 years+. I will try escalate it one last time again and hopefully HR will reply 🙏. If not I might have to see what other options are (if any). The pdf on the acs requirements also mentions a legal defesit you can use with someone you have worked with too. 

17 hours ago, skizza83 said:

thanks for your replies. 

Its ACS (Australian computing society). I am a Web developer and have been for 8 years+. I will try escalate it one last time again and hopefully HR will reply 🙏. If not I might have to see what other options are (if any). The pdf on the acs requirements also mentions a legal defesit you can use with someone you have worked with too. 

Stop emailing them and do it the old way. Keep phoning them, daily if necessary, to request and follow up. HR is just like anyone else, if you are constantly badgering them they will do what you ask for to stop you calling. 

At the moment you are just sending periodic requests which are less time consuming to ignore than they are to deal with, once you get them used to the fact you will call each day until they repsond (call not email) they will write the letter just to get you to shut up.

• Like 1

Another option is to write the letter yourself, detailing all the relevant information, and then send it to your boss or HR for them to sign.

If they just have to sign a letter, they may be more willing than if they have to sit down and write the letter themselves.

This is what I did when I got mine done about 12 years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrussell said:

Some employers have a firm policy of not disclosing the duties of an employee and limit themselves to a statement of employment, no matter what submissions are made.

That's true, mine certainly did. However they never ignored my request they just politely said it wasn't their policy to write those types of letters.

I ended up writing a sworn affidavit of my roles and got it signed by a colleague and a notary, this was acceptable to vetassess

My company refused to give me a letter as well when I applied for skills assessment but this is what I did.

I got my company to give me a generic experience letter which mentioned my salary, title and years of association with them on a company letter head. This most companies do for home lease or bank loans etc. Then got a letter from one of my managers outlining my duties on a plain paper along with his business card. Submitted both together to ACS and it was accepted. Just a suggestion. Otherwise Affidavit is the way to go I guess.

• 3 weeks later...