482 transfer times 60 day deadline question

djianb

Hi

Im just about to get a new sponsor for my 482 (new job) if I was to resign during the processing time and say it went over the 60 day deadline of finding a new sponsor would I be without a visa, or does that only kick in when there is no sponsor at all, if that makes sense? 

just as it’ll be going in, in the next week and with Xmas looming etc.

I know they are unpredictable that’s why I’m asking the question in relation to if it takes say 75 days which is 15 days past the new sponsor deadline would my visa get cancelled or would that 60 day deadline not matter as it’s currently processing (same as if you went onto a bridging visa whilst transferring over)

16 minutes ago, djianb said:

I know they are unpredictable that’s why I’m asking the question in relation to if it takes say 75 days which is 15 days past the new sponsor deadline would my visa get cancelled or would that 60 day deadline not matter as it’s currently processing (same as if you went onto a bridging visa whilst transferring over)

If they give you a bridging visa, then if you resign from your original job, the original visa gets cancelled, and the bridging visa gets cancelled too.  If they do not give you a bridging visa, then if your original visa is cancelled and the new 482 has not been approved yet, you have no visa. 

Edited by Marisawright

5 hours ago, djianb said:

Hi

Im just about to get a new sponsor for my 482 (new job) if I was to resign during the processing time and say it went over the 60 day deadline of finding a new sponsor would I be without a visa, or does that only kick in when there is no sponsor at all, if that makes sense? 

Your visa is only cancelled if/when DHA processes a cancellation, it isn't cancelled automatically (first they'd contact you to notify you of intent to cancel your visa and give you an opportunity to comment).  There's a good possibility the nomination transfer will be processed within 60 days, but unless you have a strong reason to resign from your current employer, it's generally best to stick it out until your new employer receives notice that the new nomination has been approved.  Then you can resign, work out any required notice period and start with your new employer with one less stress to worry about.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, djianb said:

Hi

The visa is not automatically cancelled after 60 days.

If you are in Australia you will first be sent a notice of intention to cancel and given an opportunity to respond.

Not a great idea to resign before the transfer is approved as the outcome is never guaranteed. Even a very minor mistake by your new sponsor can see a refusal of the application.

Further question: when the transfer is going through what are the chances of the immi dept notifying my current sponsor/employer that there is a transfer going through? Has anyone had this happen?

just as it would be extremely unprofessional for my current sponsor to find out I’ll be resigning prior to me telling them 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2020 at 19:29, djianb said:

Further question: when the transfer is going through what are the chances of the immi dept notifying my current sponsor/employer that there is a transfer going through? Has anyone had this happen?

just as it would be extremely unprofessional for my current sponsor to find out I’ll be resigning prior to me telling them 

I quit working for my employer prior lodging the new nomination with the new company to transfer my 457, because I believed and MA told me that new nomination would come through within days if its an accredited sponsor (my new sponsor is accredited and one of the largest hospitality groups in australia), my nomination was lodged on december 4th and still no answer. If I could go back I would give the notice to my previous employer once the nomination for the new one was approved, but I didnt know at the time they could nominate me while I was still employed with them. Rookie mistake, I was scared I couldnt do it and would do something illegal, but it is not. I really hope the nomination comes through asap....

• Like 1