Marriage Visa - off shore or on shore?

wonderingwoman789

Hello all

Looking for some advice here as going round in circles so hoping somebody can help.

My Partner and I are currently separated as he is in Sydney and I am in London... he was due to travel back here in the summer for us to get married which could not happen due to covid. We are planning to do this as soon as the borders open. Once we apply for the visa, do I then gain a bridging visa until it is granted? is it better to apply onshore or offshore in terms of time? We are both keen I get to work over there as soon as possible 🙂  I presume it is better to marry here although we are open at this point!

Thanks in advance!

The quickest way is usually to come to Australia on a tourist visa, then apply for a partner visa after you arrive.  You then get a bridging visa that will allow you to stay until the visa is approved.  There are some disadvantages: you will probably have the right to work, but employers will be reluctant to hire you while you're on a bridging visa because it's not secure.  

However it's all pointless right now, because you probably won't be able to enter Australia on a tourist visa till July next year at the earliest.  So I'd say you'd be better to get your application in now, so you'll be ready to travel when the borders eventually open.  

You have a choice of a partner visa or a PMV (prospective marriage visa).  You might be better to go for the PMV if you are planning to get married in Australia, as I believe that is easier to get.  However, the best plan is to have a consultation with a migration agent as they are more informed about the current situation than anyone.

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

you will probably have the right to work, 

You will definitely have the right to work. 

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

you probably won't be able to enter Australia on a tourist visa till July next year at the earliest

As the partner of an Australian citizen, the OP can apply for a travel exemption and a visitor visa if she doesn’t already hold one - these are currently being granted for applicants who properly evidence their applications. 

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

However, the best plan is to have a consultation with a migration agent as they are more informed about the current situation than anyone.

Agreed!!

• Like 2

Be aware that flights to Australia are very hard to secure and people get bumped off them at the last minute. Some Australians have apparently been stuck overseas for months and have been unable to get onto a flight - so don't go for anything where travel in a short time frame is essential.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/09/2020 at 21:27, wonderingwoman789 said:

Hello all

Looking for some advice here as going round in circles so hoping somebody can help.

My Partner and I are currently separated as he is in Sydney and I am in London... he was due to travel back here in the summer for us to get married which could not happen due to covid. We are planning to do this as soon as the borders open. Once we apply for the visa, do I then gain a bridging visa until it is granted? is it better to apply onshore or offshore in terms of time? We are both keen I get to work over there as soon as possible 🙂  I presume it is better to marry here although we are open at this point!

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest to apply it onshore. That way you dont have to go thru endless wait.

I spoke to an agent who suggested the prospective marriage visa - he said it can go through as quick as 9 months if you have strong supporting documents. However it says online 22 months. Does any one have any experience of it going through as quickly? Or is he trying to get us to sign ASAP 🙂 lol

if it takes 22 months I am not sure whether it is worth trying to hold out for an opportunity to get married and then apply for the partner visa allowing a bridging visa upon application

25 minutes ago, wonderingwoman789 said:

I spoke to an agent who suggested the prospective marriage visa - he said it can go through as quick as 9 months if you have strong supporting documents. However it says online 22 months. Does any one have any experience of it going through as quickly? Or is he trying to get us to sign ASAP 🙂 lol

if it takes 22 months I am not sure whether it is worth trying to hold out for an opportunity to get married and then apply for the partner visa allowing a bridging visa upon application

Prospective Marriage Visas (PMVs) are on hold for the foreseeable future and the government has just announced a number of measures relating to them that suggest that the situation will persist for some time:

"VAC refunds will be available for Prospective Marriage visa holders who have been unable to enter Australia before their visa expired, due to COVID-19 related travel restrictions. Refunds will ensure these visa holders are able to apply for another visa to travel to Australia and hold their wedding once travel restrictions are lifted. For those visas that have already expired, any new application will be prioritised. Visa extensions will be available for Prospective Marriage visa holders whose visas are still valid."