register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

wonderingwoman789

Marriage Visa - off shore or on shore?

Hello all

Looking for some advice here as going round in circles so hoping somebody can help.

My Partner and I are currently separated as he is in Sydney and I am in London... he was due to travel back here in the summer for us to get married which could not happen due to covid. We are planning to do this as soon as the borders open. Once we apply for the visa, do I then gain a bridging visa until it is granted? is it better to apply onshore or offshore in terms of time? We are both keen I get to work over there as soon as possible 🙂  I presume it is better to marry here although we are open at this point!

Thanks in advance!

The quickest way is usually to come to Australia on a tourist visa, then apply for a partner visa after you arrive.  You then get a bridging visa that will allow you to stay until the visa is approved.  There are some disadvantages: you will probably have the right to work, but employers will be reluctant to hire you while you're on a bridging visa because it's not secure.  

However it's all pointless right now, because you probably won't be able to enter Australia on a tourist visa till July next year at the earliest.  So I'd say you'd be better to get your application in now, so you'll be ready to travel when the borders eventually open.  

You have a choice of a partner visa or a PMV (prospective marriage visa).  You might be better to go for the PMV if you are planning to get married in Australia, as I believe that is easier to get.  However, the best plan is to have a consultation with a migration agent as they are more informed about the current situation than anyone.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

you will probably have the right to work, 

You will definitely have the right to work. 

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

you probably won't be able to enter Australia on a tourist visa till July next year at the earliest

As the partner of an Australian citizen, the OP can apply for a travel exemption and a visitor visa if she doesn’t already hold one - these are currently being granted for applicants who properly evidence their applications. 

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

However, the best plan is to have a consultation with a migration agent as they are more informed about the current situation than anyone.

Agreed!!

• Like 2

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Be aware that flights to Australia are very hard to secure and people get bumped off them at the last minute. Some Australians have apparently been stuck overseas for months and have been unable to get onto a flight - so don't go for anything where travel in a short time frame is essential.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship