Travelling back on compassionate grounds

Hayley Gee

I would like to apply to travel back to the UK in August on compassionate grounds - to see my 75 year mum. She had bowel cancer and is in remission however she still suffers pain because of it. She lives alone and has no carers. I was due to travel back in April to be with her. The immi criteria states she needs to be ‘seriously ill’. We don’t think she is seriously ill but she needs us. What do I need to ask the GP to write in order to get a positive response to my Exemption application? 
Any advice much appreciated. 
Many thanks 

1 hour ago, Hayley Gee said:

I would like to apply to travel back to the UK in August on compassionate grounds - to see my 75 year mum. She had bowel cancer and is in remission however she still suffers pain because of it. She lives alone and has no carers. I was due to travel back in April to be with her. The immi criteria states she needs to be ‘seriously ill’. We don’t think she is seriously ill but she needs us. What do I need to ask the GP to write in order to get a positive response to my Exemption application? 
Any advice much appreciated. 
Many thanks 

Is this an ongoing move back or just a visit?  If you are moving then I think you can show evidence of that and get an exemption to move to another country. If just a short trip over then that will be harder. What a horrible situation you are in.  You say she has no carers, is that something that could be put in place. I know it’s not you and I understand your need to be with her but if that’s not possible then I’d look at getting carers in place. My mum has them, twice a day.  They are game changers for us, she can remain in her own home and has a lovely, friendly face popping in twice a day. It would be piece of mind for you and your mum.  Not the same I know but I wouldn’t dismiss it if you can’t get over there. Good luck with your application though. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hayley Gee said:

The thing with the exemption is that it costs nothing to apply and if you are rejected, there's no limit to the number of times you can apply again.

So I would just say, be honest and explain why you need to go - you have an elderly mother who has no other carers in the UK to help her manage in isolation.  If it gets rejected, the worst that can happen is that you have to try again.

As I understand it, the government is mainly worried about people coming back to Australia and bringing the virus with them.  So if you say you're planning to stay overseas for several months, that will probably stand more chance of success.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Chatting with an agent friend today,and they said that the main reason for exemptions being rejected is that people aren't supplying enough information and evidence. So give them everything you can to support your case.  Also agents are apparently willing to assist with applications for exemptions, so make a few calls if you need help 🙂