Looking for MARA agent

Chris G

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking to start our journey to move to Australia and we are pretty much at the beginning of that journey - so our knowledge is currently limited.

We travelled to Australia last year for 3 months (NSW, VIC, SA and QLD) and loved everything about what we saw. When it comes to the UK, I have become more and more disillusioned over the past few years. I have family (not close) and friends of family who live in Australia and every single one of them agreed that we should try to get there ASAP!

We think our case to gain a visa will be a complicated process by virtue that we are currently 35 and 32 years old (soon to be 36 and 33 in a couple of weeks) and have not followed the standard "life route" of qualifications and experience that would make this process somewhat more straightforward.

I'm looking to get in touch with a migration agent to run through ALL the options that could be available and anything that could expedite the process as I would rather not wait 3-4 years as are looking to start building our family soon - I would rather be settled when this happens. I appreciate places are limited and even more so after the pandemic so we are trying to remain realistic with our expectations.

Looking at the official MARA agents listings on their web page, there are so many agents without ever really knowing anything about their experience, testimonials/reviews and price etc and I wondered if everyone here may be able to highly recommended some agents who would be willing to patiently help and probe us in the right directions without leading us down the garden path!

I'm looking to get some initial consultations arranged and get a plan of action drawn up really as quick as possible.

ThanksĀ šŸ˜€

On 22/06/2020 at 05:24, Chris G said:

We think our case to gain a visa will be a complicated process by virtue that we are currently 35 and 32 years old (soon to be 36 and 33 in a couple of weeks) and have not followed the standard "life route" of qualifications and experience that would make this process somewhat more straightforward.

I'm looking to get in touch with a migration agent to run through ALL the options that could be available and anything that could expedite the process as I would rather not wait 3-4 years...

I second the suggestion of contacting one of the agents who've posted in this thread (W Russell and Paul Hand).Ā  The fact that they're so generous with free advice here speaks volumes, IMO.Ā Ā 

The bottom line is that you can't migrate if you don't have qualifications and experience in an occupation that's on the skilled list.Ā  End of story.Ā  Ā You may be looking at more than 3 or 4 years, because for most visas, you need qualifications AND work experience.Ā  And because Australia is taking occupations off the list every year, many people invest yearsĀ retraining and then find the occupation isn't eligible any more - so choose something you'd like to do wherever you end up.Ā 

In theory it would be possible toĀ arrive on a student visa, do your qualifications in Australia, then get a graduate visa to get your work experience, then hope for employer sponsorship, which might (if you're lucky) get you permanent residency many years down the track. However, if you have a family to support, don't even think about it. It's a very expensive, high-risk strategy and there's a high liklehood you'dĀ end up back in the UK at the end of it, with no home and no savings.Ā  Ā  Agents may suggest it to you because it's theirĀ job to tell you what's possible - it doesn't mean they think it's wise!

If your main goal is to get out of the UK, have you thought about investigating New Zealand or Canada?

Edited by Marisawright

First of all, thank you for all the replies so far. I will certainly be contacting recommended agents for their opinions and advice.

20 hours ago, Maria18 said:

Can I ask, are your jobs on the skills list, Chris?

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I second the suggestion of contacting one of the agents who've posted in this thread (W Russell and Paul Hand).Ā  The fact that they're so generous with free advice here speaks volumes, IMO.Ā Ā 

The bottom line is that you can't migrate if you don't have qualifications and experience in an occupation that's on the skilled list.Ā  End of story.Ā  Ā You may be looking at more than 3 or 4 years, because for most visas, you need qualifications AND work experience.Ā  And because Australia is taking occupations off the list every year, many people invest yearsĀ retraining and then find the occupation isn't eligible any more - so choose something you'd like to do wherever you end up.Ā 

In theory it would be possible toĀ arrive on a student visa, do your qualifications in Australia, then get a graduate visa to get your work experience, then hope for employer sponsorship, which might (if you're lucky) get you permanent residency many years down the track. However, if you have a family to support, don't even think about it. It's a very expensive, high-risk strategy and there's a high liklehood you'dĀ end up back in the UK at the end of it, with no home and no savings.Ā  Ā  Agents may suggest it to you because it's theirĀ job to tell you what's possible - it doesn't mean they think it's wise!

If your main goal is to get out of the UK, have you thought about investigating New Zealand or Canada?

I do not believe our current positions would be sufficient. However, I do have a degree (within the real estate industry) which could lend itself to a few on the list and it would depend on how far back they consider this applicable together with the limited experience I gained. Also, I have not got my chartered qualification and this is one of the things I will needĀ to check with regards to relevance for acceptance.Ā Ultimately, I would like to see how easy/possible it is to become a CPV (Certified Practising Valuer) with the API with my current qualifications. I may have forgotten large portions of my university studies so know I will need to start as a trainee/assistant role here in the UK so I'm relying on a lot of goodwill from future employers and immigration to realise the move.

My wife is currently studying a part time BA degree in Childhood & Youth Studies which is due to finish in 2023 (we are investigating if this can be switched to full time which could allow a potential completion in 2022). SheĀ thinks this would lend her a position within the education and/or social worker line of work - she would prefer to do the latter but would like to know if most youth work or social care support workers require a degree in a relevant field to gain employment? She is currently a support worker for the Independent Reviewing Officer at our local council since October 2019.

If we are looking at 3-4 years minimum, then it is likely that we will have an infant with us. Is there anything else we should be made aware about this? Are there any extra visa costs/things to consider?

Unfortunately, New Zealand and Canada just do not appeal to us in the same way. We prefer the Aussie culture plus we have family and friends dotted about that we simply do not have in the other two countries as lovely as they seem.

We are conscious of the costs and have already started saving should we be given the green light! I'm trying to remain optimistic.

30 minutes ago, Chris G said:

First of all, thank you for all the replies so far. I will certainly be contacting recommended agents for their opinions and advice.

I do not believe our current positions would be sufficient. However, I do have a degree (within the real estate industry) which could lend itself to a few on the list and it would depend on how far back they consider this applicable together with the limited experience I gained.

Usually, they don't count experience gained before you achieved the relevant qualification.Ā Ā 

I have no idea whether New Zealand would be easier to gain a visa than Australia, but Ā consider that New Zealand citizens are able to live and work in Australia, so if all else fails, it may be a last resort.