Emigration advice

Hi, hoping someone can give some ideas on the probability of our family being able to emigrate to Australia and also location / job opportunities etc.

1) I’m an electrician and my partner is a nhs nurse, we have 2 girls aged 4 and 10. Are our skills still in demand in Australia? 

2) Australia is such a vast area and trying to work out a good area of the country is proving difficult. We love the outdoors and a smaller town feel within commuting distance of a larger town / city for work, and preferably driving distance to the coast ( presuming coastal properties wouldn’t be within our budget.

3) Could anyone offer an average pay range for our jobs, presuming we complete any cross over courses etc.

I appreciate my questions may be vague and hard to answer but any information appreciated.

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Simon1984 said:

1) I’m an electrician and my partner is a nhs nurse, we have 2 girls aged 4 and 10. Are our skills still in demand in Australia? 

Years ago, Australia was a new country with a shortage of skills in many occupations.  That's not the case any  more.  Australia is pretty much the same as any other country.   

You've got much the same chance of getting a job as an electrician in Australia as you do in the UK.  In some states, your wife might struggle as there's a bit of a glut of nurses currently, but I'm sure she'd get something.  

Australia is not like the UK, where you have small towns within a short commute of the big cities.  The distances are much greater.  So you'd be better off looking at a medium-sized coastal town where you don't need to commute to a big city.   There are small hospitals in many smaller towns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospitals_in_Australia

• Like 1

Did you check the immigration site? They have a pretty good visa eligibility wizard.

Which area/city are you looking at? Commute IS bad in major metro areas (especially Mel/Syd). I would be realistic about that. I mean, would you really want to travel 2 hours a day? Doesn't mean you have to live in the CBD either, just find the right balance. Close to the beach is more expensive. There are 3 major variables that impact price (roughly), proximity to the CBD, proximity to the beach, land size. But does it really matter you have to drive 15 minutes to the beach instead of 5? You have to get in the car anyway. Unless it's a matter of walking distance vs taking the car.

You could come to WA, live within 30 km of a City, close to great beaches, good public transport links to the City, live in a coastal suburb and you have the feeling of a small village.

My sons a sparkie,  worked FIFO for years, in between long trips travelling,including a couple of years in Whistler, Canada. He's on the rigs at the mo so money is excellent. 

Local sparkie work not so well paid, a lot are contractors though and the ones I know all seem to make a decent living. 

My wifes a nurse. Never had any problems getting a job or changing career path. Plenty of hospitals around, big and smaller. Overall I think she finds the conditions a lot better and the pay a bit better. She was a health visitor in Moss Side though, so anything would have been good after that.

Some nursing positions for WA on the skills list have been under review I believe.  Your partner needs to be degree trained in order to pass the skills assessment.  A lot of health services (speaking for WA) no longer  offer sponsorship and preference is given to PR holders and Citizens.

If you come over on your wifes skills - she will need to have her skills assessed via ANMAC (registration is done through AHPRA)

Thinking about where I currently live in relation to your own preferences, and just as an example ...

In Western Australia, I live 2 hours south of Perth, in a coastal village between two large towns - Bunbury and Busselton. Either town is just 20 minutes drive away and there are a number of small rural communities surrounding both. They are starting to become quite popular as commuter towns, but homes are still very affordable.

Both of you have occupations that will ensure good employment opportunities. Busselton is now home to a large regional airport, developed for FIFO workers commuting to mine sites, and for future flights to Melbourne and Singapore. They have an impressive new health campus and new home builds are still strong. For your children, there are many excellent public and private schools to choose from, and a vast array of sporting and lifestyle facilities.

The south west is a beautiful region with its magnificent beaches, landscapes, parks, activity centres, wineries, breweries, gourmet experiences, etc. A really lovely place that supports a comfortable, healthy family life.

bunbury.wa.gov.au and busselton.wa.gov.au 

• Like 2