looking for some more info before we make the move!

Maria18

Hey.

This is my first time back on here since my first post in 2015! Since then myself, partner and son came to visit Australia (Sydney and the Gold Coast) and decided we really want to move out there for a couple of years. We don't want to do it permenantly as yet as we have family here that I just can't leave for that lomg, so for now as we are only renting here and my son is 12, we want that adventure of a life time. 

I am a qualified Mental Health Nurse of 2 years almost, and my partner is a Health care Assisitant and has had 8 years experience in her field. My son is currently in year 7 at high school and is 12.

We loved the Aussie way of life, the slower paced, more relaxed, chilled out vibe, and we would like jobs over there and to rent a place for up to 2 years maximum. 

My son Oliver is a very outdoors, active child and it seems his friends round here are all the opposite... I understand this is the case with a lot of children this age in Aus to, but during our visit there were so many more children his age skating, biking, swimming... I want that opportunity for him. He doesnt enjoy school much and has yet to make any real friendships that last. 

We have a very small family here of myself (33), Oliver, my mum and step dad , age 54 (who Oliver is very close to) and most importantly to us, my nana (age 84 almost). She has been like a mum to me and adores Oliver. This is the main reason why I could not move over forever at this stage. I feel it would'nt be fair. 

I have lived my life trying to please everyone and not 'rock the boat' as such, and this is a dream that won't seem to go away, and I at least want to say we have tried. 

My partner is 32 and although her job is not on the skills list, I have been advised that she could still come with my points/occupation as a nurse. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how we get the ball rolling! we have been saying we would like to do this since we got back from Australia in April 2019, and time seems to be passing us by!! (as it does). 

I am wondering if there is anyone with advice on where is the best places to move to/rent/what areas, prices of rentals (average), is it easy to rent in Aus or will we struggle to find a place? How do I go about getting us jobs there/and who to get our visas with, and lastly, schools. would it be hard to get my son into school (age 13/14 he will be then). I have been infomed that they are free on the Australin government website to apply, but elsewhere seems to charge quite a lot per application! 

I know in this current climate (COVID19) there are restrictions in place regarding visas etc, but I would just like to know more and hopefully start to plan this journey from there for us.

Thank you so much in advance!! Marina. x

Your only sensible option for a short visit would be an employer sponsored visa, but the big hurdle would be finding an employer willing to sponsor. I don’t think it’s at all common for nurses.

Applying for a permanent visa is a long and expensive process and will take over a year to get, plus as a nurse you will also need to get your registration. 

As Marisa says, getting Sponsorship isn't as easy as it was, I know my own service in WA hasn't been sponsoring for awhile and gives preference to PR or citizens.  It's not impossible though but it will be a case of applying for jobs and saying you want sponsorship.  Nursing isn't the golden ticket it once was, but still on the lists.

You will need registration and depending on visa a skills assessment. It might be worth having a preliminary chat with an agent (the ones who post regularly on her have good reputations), to explore your visa options.  The process isn't a short one and if your longer term plans are to be in the UK, you may need to think about your sons GCSE's etc., and what exams he would need for his longer term future.  

16 hours ago, ali said:

... you may need to think about your sons GCSE's etc., and what exams he would need for his longer term future.  

If you think your son may harbour plans or desires for a University career (I know you say he isn't a massive academic at the moment), then you need to also be aware of the rules around University overseas fees.

Australia treats PR holders and Citizens equally in university fees terms. So if they want an Oz Uni experience, getting PR would be very useful

The UK is different, citizen or resident doesn't automatically qualify you for UK fees status. The rules in the UK are that you must have been living in the UK for the THREE academic years preceeding going to University, so if you plan on a UK education they need to be in the UK at the start of Year 10 - otherwise they will be classed as overseas (and usually overseas fees are around £25,000 a year instead of UK fees of £9,250)

This will serious impact how much time you could spend in OZ unless you know for sure he doesn't want to go to Uni in Europe

7 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Australia treats PR holders and Citizens equally in university fees terms. So if they want an Oz Uni experience, getting PR would be very useful

Jus to note for the OP that only Citizens are able to access a loan, PR pay domestic fees which are usually required up front.

12 hours ago, ali said:

Jus to note for the OP that only Citizens are able to access a loan, PR pay domestic fees which are usually required up front.

Good point, whilst you pay the same fees, a citizen can get a loan for them like in the UK, whereas a PR pays the same fees but has to pay them out as incurred.

• Like 1