Split with my Aussie fiancé, I’m in UK but have belongings and car in Oz, My rights

Richard Paul

Hello

hope this the right sub forum to post this question

unfortunately after 6 years of being with my Australian fiancé and a year apart it’s broken down and she has moved on with another

im currently in the UK and have a car in my name plus lots of belongings as the plans was for me too move over after visa 

now my ex partner is being very hard to reach, have asked about my stuff which includes heirlooms, my late fathers items and expensive computers, clothes and very personal documents such as birth certificate and more

she is requesting I do not contact her and not to come over...

what rights do I have here as a UK citizen, I fear my Lexus car may have been transferred  to another, should I contact the local police and report as stolen as my ex has stated it’s no longer at her address, Vic roads making it very hard to find out if this has happened or not with transfers

does anyone have any experiences they could share, I understand that anything said is not legal advice but before I go down that route, I wanted to get some more knowledge and thought I might ask in here

keep safe with current climates and thanks in advance

To be honest, it sounds as though she has set this up with the intention of keeping your belongings.   If you were living together as a couple and you left everything with her voluntarily, I don't know where you will stand legally if she refuses to return them.  An Australian lawyer could advise.

Obviously, she has no right to tell you that you can't visit.  Personally, I'd be arriving unannounced on her doorstep with four burly removal men.  Do you have a key?  She can't stop you removing your own stuff.   Also, you might find it easier to get an answer from Vic Roads if you attend the office in person. 

It's unfortunate that travel is so difficult right now.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Perhaps secure the services of an Australian lawyer - they can send a letter asking her to comply with the release of your belongings - you would have to arrange the removal, packing and shipping yourself (and maybe remotely).

Do you have friends still in Aus who could try to see what's happened to your car?  if she's disposed or destroyed any items that don't belong to her, you could explore if she can be charged with theft.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

The transport department are useless. A family member took my car without my permission a few years back Qld transport said it was nothing to do with them, and they in turn reported it to the police. I attended the police station who demanded I press charges on the family member or they wouldn’t help get the car back. Thankfully the grapevine worked and someone saw me go in to the police station and my car was returned and no action needed taking. It looks like you really are going to need a lawyer even just to write a letter may be enough to scare her in to returning your items. I have a feeling though that with so much time passing your items may be sold

4 hours ago, Richard Paul said:

Don’t really have anyone in oz that can help

yes I do have a key

thanks for the replies

Unless your name is on the tenancy agreement or house deeds/mortgage I don’t think you have any right to enter the property.  You have to weigh up the costs of getting a solicitor involved and the likely chance of getting your things back. I believe you would have to prove the things are yours. If things are sentimental then you may want to try regardless. I appreciate your car will be of value and very poor if your ex has got rid of it somehow. It’s a horrible situation and one which you may have to just move on from. It would certainly be worth a consultation with an Australian lawyer who can be honest with you as to your chances of getting anything back and possible costs.  Best of luck.