AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

13 hours ago, PTSydney said:

I had a request approved because my father was very sick and everyone in the family is 60+ years old, as it was riskier for them due to covid, I decided to go the and take care of him after a surgery. If you go overseas, consider that coming back to Australia can be very challenging, there is a travel cap in place, and tickets are cancelled by airlines very frequently, that even includes cancellations for tickets in the business class.

Thanks for that info. I'm more concerned about getting out than getting back in

12 hours ago, Maree said:

I've tried calling immigration twice about this and they don't seem to be able to answer me. 

I applied for citizenship last January (been permanent resident for 10+ years). Then fell pregnant and had my baby in October. My test is at the end of February. 

My question is, do I need to/how do I add my baby to my application? She is already an Australian citizen because I was permanent resident, does that make a difference? I want to do the right thing but can't find answers! 

You dont need to add your baby to your applications. But will need to get Evidence of Citizenship, which can be done on https://online.immi.gov.au/ 
image.png.7575c16cafc343025bfbc7f92f4b2b38.png

Once approved you will receive your childs citizenship certificate in the mail and you can then apply for their Australian Passport if required

Hope this helps 🙂

Edited by immister
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, helppls said:

I wonder what counts as compassionate grounds. Many of my family back home have and had covid but not very sick. But does 'i haven't seen my family for 2 years' count as compassionate grounds? 

Not seeing your family definitely does not count. Compassion only applies for bereavement or for very sick family members, which you will have to prove.

16 minutes ago, helppls said:

Yes but I would plan to stay there for an extended period, get a job etc. Not just a quick few weeks home. More like moving home indefinitely

Moving back indefinitely is very different from ‘I haven’t seen my family for two years, would this be compassionate grounds’  you putting that would make most people think you are talking about a trip back to see family. I believe you need to show evidence you are moving back such as left job, ended tenancy etc. Is it your plan to move back long term then?  It’s not a good time to do that really unless you’re very unhappy there.

• Like 1

Hi there.

Is there anyone here waiting for an appointment in ACT ? Please share your timeline.

I have moved to ACT from Melb and have changed the address on immi account as well - received acknowledgement of that as well.  Any thoughts how long it will be take to get an invite here in ACT. I applied on 1st March 2020 in Melbourne.

I appreciate anyone with thoughts or information regarding ACT test invites.

4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Moving back indefinitely is very different from ‘I haven’t seen my family for two years, would this be compassionate grounds’  you putting that would make most people think you are talking about a trip back to see family. I believe you need to show evidence you are moving back such as left job, ended tenancy etc. Is it your plan to move back long term then?  It’s not a good time to do that really unless you’re very unhappy there.

I had been planning for a couple of years to move back home around this time, pre covid 

4 hours ago, helppls said:

Thanks for that info. I'm more concerned about getting out than getting back in

Good luck with the process. I really needed this approved, so I attached:

1) Medical / Hospital statements

2) A letter explaining why I had to go and the options I considered

3) Letter from family members stating why I was the only option.

Perhaps it was more detailed from what they need, but I needed to have this approved.

32 minutes ago, helppls said:

I had been planning for a couple of years to move back home around this time, pre covid 

@helppls, if you are genuinely moving permanently and attach all the required evidence (proof you have booked your shipping, proof you have given notice to your landlord/put your house on the market, etc), then you will have no difficulty getting approved.  Make sure you apply under the correct category and attach all the necessary paperwork.

People who are moving permanently always get approved.  They don't care if people leave.  They are only worried about you wanting to come back, because then you might bring covid with you.

Edited by Marisawright

5 hours ago, immister said:

You dont need to add your baby to your applications. But will need to get Evidence of Citizenship, which can be done on https://online.immi.gov.au/ 
image.png.7575c16cafc343025bfbc7f92f4b2b38.png

Once approved you will receive your childs citizenship certificate in the mail and you can then apply for their Australian Passport if required

Hope this helps 🙂

Thank you! 

Yes, that definitely helps 🙂

3 hours ago, helppls said:

Then say that.  What you posted has nothing whatsoever to do with your long term plan of moving back.  I’d wait a while longer if I was you.  Nothing is open here and a job won’t be easy to get although they’re still out there. You will need to quarantine for two weeks when you get here and if you intend staying with family they will also need to quarantine for two weeks. No different households are allowed to mix so you don’t be able to see family/friends and this is likely to continue for many months. As you’ve planned this move back for years, waiting a little longer won’t make much difference. Up to you but it’s the worst time to be coming back. Covid is terrible here right now, 1820 died yesterday,  that’s in just one day and almost 100,000 have died in the last 10 months. Why take yourself out of safety. The vaccine programme is doing well so things will hopefully start to improve but it will be sometime. All adults will be offered it by the autumn so that tells you it’s not a quick fix. 

Edited by Tulip1

23 hours ago, Chezza81 said:

Received our invite to the City of Rockingham’s Citizenship Ceremony! 3 March is the day.  Can’t believe that after over 12 years since I first arrived here I’ll be a Citizen.  My husband did his test 13th Nov, and is also included as we linked our applications  

Citizenship App: 25 August 2020
Test Invitation: 27 October 20
Test Date: Original 9 December rescheduled 30 October 
Approval: 30 October 
Ceremony: 3 March 2021
Council: Rockingham, WA

Congratulations @Chezza81 full circle soon, we were invited for our test for the 26th of February City of Kwinana.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

Then say that.  What you posted has nothing whatsoever to do with your long term plan of moving back.  I’d wait a while longer if I was you.  Nothing is open here and a job won’t be easy to get although they’re still out there. You will need to quarantine for two weeks when you get here and if you intend staying with family they will also need to quarantine for two weeks. No different households are allowed to mix so you don’t be able to see family/friends and this is likely to continue for many months. As you’ve planned this move back for years, waiting a little longer won’t make much difference. Up to you but it’s the worst time to be coming back. Covid is terrible here right now, 1820 died yesterday,  that’s in just one day and almost 100,000 have died in the last 10 months. Why take yourself out of safety. The vaccine programme is doing well so things will hopefully start to improve but it will be sometime. All adults will be offered it by the autumn so that tells you it’s not a quick fix. 

Yeah I'm not in a rush but I want to have all my ducks lined up for when I do go. Still waiting for citizenship (awaiting ceremony invite) etc. 

You seem to be referring to the UK; I'm going to Ireland but it's pretty bad there as well. I'm crossing my fingers that things will settle in the northern hemisphere summer, as they did last year. So that sweet spot might mean leaving Aus in about May, and by then I might have everything sorted and be vaccinated etc (I'm a HCW). Admittedly things are very good here in Aus at the moment but who knows what winter will bring.

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@helppls, if you are genuinely moving permanently and attach all the required evidence (proof you have booked your shipping, proof you have given notice to your landlord/put your house on the market, etc), then you will have no difficulty getting approved.  Make sure you apply under the correct category and attach all the necessary paperwork.

People who are moving permanently always get approved.  They don't care if people leave.  They are only worried about you wanting to come back, because then you might bring covid with you.

Thanks for that. Yes, it should be fine. The other question is when will borders here reopen, but I'm happy to stay put overseas for a couple of years anyway

4 hours ago, PTSydney said:

Good luck with the process. I really needed this approved, so I attached:

1) Medical / Hospital statements

2) A letter explaining why I had to go and the options I considered

3) Letter from family members stating why I was the only option.

Perhaps it was more detailed from what they need, but I needed to have this approved.

Thanks, that helps. Hopefully It won't be compassionate grounds for me as they're all okay, but things change.

Hi,

Soon I will be applying for Australian Citizenship. I haven't travelled to India since 2018. I have submitted my recent PCC when I got my PR in 2020. However, that PCC states ' Immigration purposes other than citizenship' Do I need to apply for another PCC for citizenship or would my 2020 PCC be acceptable? Your valuable suggestions would be much appreciated. kind regards

27 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Even if they did change, I’d stick with the leaving permanently because compassionate exemptions are less certain 

True, although on the portal it says 'Will you be returning to Australia?'

I will, some time, but not in the next couple of years. I assume what they really mean is 'Will you be returning to Australia within the foreseeable future?"

Hi All,

Anyone here from Sydney who applied on or before April 2020 who's still waiting? I feel like I and my family are waiting for the apple to drop from the tree and hit us randomly. Thanks.

Citizenship App: April 2020
Test Invitation: Waiting
Test Date: Waiting
Approval: Waiting
Ceremony: Waiting
Council: Sydney

Regards

14 hours ago, Request said:

Hi,

Soon I will be applying for Australian Citizenship. I haven't travelled to India since 2018. I have submitted my recent PCC when I got my PR in 2020. However, that PCC states ' Immigration purposes other than citizenship' Do I need to apply for another PCC for citizenship or would my 2020 PCC be acceptable? Your valuable suggestions would be much appreciated. kind regards

Choose correct category of PCC purpose. It should be for Australian citizenship. 

Whats is date of issue of your PCC?

i think it is valid for 6-12 months. 

Edited by Melbournian

4 hours ago, SonGoku said:

I am planning to move to Sydney on the 31st of January. Is the citizenship ceremony invites in Sydney toke so long? I haven't update my address yet in Sydney.. 

I see that the processing time website was updated recently:

From date of approval to ceremony 4 months (75%) 5 months(90%)

source: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/citizenship-processing-times

But would love to hear if that is correct for the North Sydney council.

Anyone know how long it is taking for the Ceremony in N.Sydney ?

thanks