Medicare on TSS visa

Purpleleaf

Hi

Do British Citizens have access to Medicare while being on a TSS visa? 
I read the Aus and UK have a reciprocal agreement which entitles healthcare. 

Can you please confirm what entitlements of Medicare does this cover? 

Or am I reading this totally wrong?

Thank you 

It's not a question of whether you're a citizen or not.  It's a question of whether you were legally resident in the UK immediately before you arrived in Australia.    If you were living in another country, you're not eligible (unless that country also has reciprocal cover).

You'll be required to take out an insurance policy as part of the application for the TSS visa, but some health funds (e.g. BUPA) offer a cheaper policy for people who have access to reciprocal cover.

Edited by Marisawright

54 minutes ago, Purpleleaf said:

Yes I am a legal resident of the UK. 

Re. Bupa - that’s good to know

Are there any other benefits for UK citizens moving to the Auz

Not that I can think of.

I know this is not what you asked, but I'm a bit concerned that you're going for a 482 with a family.  You do understand that it's only a temp visa?

If you're looking for an adventure and your employer is offering a decent relocation package, it's a great opportunity to experience Australia and you'll enjoy it.  However, be aware that there is a high risk it won't ever lead to a permanent visa and you might not even last the 2 to 4 years you've contracted for, so make sure you plan on that basis (i.e. don't sell your home, rent it out instead).

Edited by Marisawright

Not that I can think of.
I know this is not what you asked, but I'm a bit concerned that you're going for a 482 with a family.  You do understand that it's only a temp visa?
If you're looking for an adventure and your employer is offering a decent relocation package, it's a great opportunity to experience Australia and you'll enjoy it.  However, be aware that there is a high risk it won't ever lead to a permanent visa and you might not even last the 2 to 4 years you've contracted for, so make sure you plan on that basis (i.e. don't sell your home, rent it out instead).

Misery guts Marisa strikes again
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Misery guts Marisa strikes again

There's no need for personal insults.  Didn't you read this bit:  If you're looking for an adventure and your employer is offering a decent relocation package, it's a great opportunity to experience Australia and you'll enjoy it. 

I suggest you browse through the 186 and 187 threads, and all the threads posted by people who came on 457's and ended up broke and back in the UK.   It certainly doesn't go wrong for everybody, but it does go wrong for a sizeable percentage of people.  To pretend otherwise is just living with your head in the sand, and that's a stupid way to make decisions when the future of your family is at stake, don't you think?

Edited by Marisawright

There's no need for personal insults.  Didn't you read this bit:  If you're looking for an adventure and your employer is offering a decent relocation package, it's a great opportunity to experience Australia and you'll enjoy it. 
I suggest you browse through the 186 and 187 threads, and all the threads posted by people who came on 457's and ended up broke and back in the UK.   It certainly doesn't go wrong for everybody, but it does go wrong for a sizeable percentage of people.  To pretend otherwise is just living with your head in the sand, and that's a stupid way to make decisions when the future of your family is at stake, don't you think?

I do agree to a certain extent and apologies I didn’t mean to insult you

I just think sometimes you seem to be one a one woman crusade at times to dissuade people from migrating

Personally I’m here on a 457, the conditions of which I researched fully before I decided to come here, I’d guess that most people on here who ask about it have done the same

9 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Personally I’m here on a 457, the conditions of which I researched fully before I decided to come here, I’d guess that most people on here who ask about it have done the same

You'd be surprised. Just take a look back through some old threads on these forums and you'll realise how many people arrived on a 457 thinking they had a guaranteed pathway to PR - and then had a rude awakening when their employer wouldn't do the 186 or their occupation had dropped off the list.   Or who didn't realise that they'd have to go home if they lost their job (I think the worst case I've seen was someone who got made redundant only a few weeks after he arrived).  

The thing is, people think they've done their research, but there is a mountain of misinformation on the internet, including websites created by shonky agents who sell people on the idea that a student visa or a 482 will eventually get them PR, without mentioning any of the risks.   So I never, ever assume people have done the work.

Let's face it - if they've done their research then I'm not telling them anything new, so no loss.  If they haven't done their research, then I've given them imporrtant information about the risks and it's up to them to weigh the balance.

• Like 1

You definitely have a valid point re misinformation.

When I was considering moving here (already had the job offer by this point) the age for 186 or 187 can’t remember which one it was was dropped to 45 literally a week before I applied for my visa which ruled me out for the pr visa.i knew this of course, partly through this forum, however the recruitment consultant was adamant I was still eligible, complete nonsense of course.

I do still have an option for this visa due to my earnings being above the fair work high income threshold, but I haven’t decided what to do yet.
I still have almost two years left on my 457. I may go for the 186 or get another four years on a tss who knows. Either way I’m pretty relaxed about it

And apologies again I didn’t mean to insult you

12 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I do still have an option for this visa due to my earnings being above the fair work high income threshold, but I haven’t decided what to do yet.
I still have almost two years left on my 457. I may go for the 186 or get another four years on a tss who knows. Either way I’m pretty relaxed about it

No worries.  You sound like you've got it under control, all I would say is that the longer you stay in Australia, the harder you'll find resettling in the UK.  So I'd be a little concerned about following a path where you'll be long-term temporary.   The longer you delay an attempt at PR, the harder it will get.

Before coming to Australia, I spent three years in Africa while my oh (now ex-) was on a British aid scheme.  We met many expats who went from contract to contract around Africa and Asia.  Most still had a home (rented out) in the UK and all had started working abroad as a short-term thing, either for the adventure or the money or both. However those who had been away for several years said they didn't really feel at home in the UK any more.  Problem was, they didn't have the right to stay in their preferred country either.  It was called "the curse of the expat" - no longer knowing where they belonged.  It pays to be aware of that, I think.

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you for your advice, wisdom and honest feedback.

Yes I am very concerned about the TSS visa. and weighing it out at all different angles.

We haven’t yet got the Visa and in the process of possibly applying hence all my analysis and questions

I have read that the Med-long term visa grants a pathway to PR after 3-4 years is this not true? I thought that this was gaurenteed.

Im looking at other options that will lead to PR but it is getting more difficult as the months move on, especially with the points ranked so high at this present moment.

Any other advice ? 

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

No worries.  You sound like you've got it under control, all I would say is that the longer you stay in Australia, the harder you'll find resettling in the UK.  So I'd be a little concerned about following a path where you'll be long-term temporary.   The longer you delay an attempt at PR, the harder it will get.

Before coming to Australia, I spent three years in Africa while my oh (now ex-) was on a British aid scheme.  We met many expats who went from contract to contract around Africa and Asia.  Most still had a home (rented out) in the UK and all had started working abroad as a short-term thing, either for the adventure or the money or both. However those who had been away for several years said they didn't really feel at home in the UK any more.  Problem was, they didn't have the right to stay in their preferred country either.  It was called "the curse of the expat" - no longer knowing where they belonged.  It pays to be aware of that, I think.

Having been an expat for years, first in Africa, then 10 years in Brunei, plus moving loads on top of that as my husband was in the RAF, I know what you mean, but to be honest we all know it’s temporary. Of all the people we have met, hardly anyone didn’t have a UK home.i honestly think more went back to UK than moved to a different country, and have settled, We wanted a bit more adventure when we retired, and came to Australia on the old 410 retirement visa, which made it easy to come here. It was a temporary long term visa, so we were still prepared to be ‘temporary ‘ but it was a long term one, that people could theoretically be here forever, but always the slight concern things could change, but we were lucky to have a choice then. We did finally get PR last year, but only because the rules were changed in our favour.

I don’t know if we are any happier than friends who went ‘home’ you just have to accept that an expat life or a temporary Australia visa is that just temporary. My cousin has just left Zambia after living there for nearly 50 years, first as a child then working there and marrying, but had no right to stay on retirement. 

Having been on the nightmare down side of retrospective visa changes here, in our sons case, I would say don’t hesitate in going for a permanent visa if you have the option. 

Some potential immigrants do appear very naive about the conditions needed to emigrate and for a visa, and do need a bit of help and a reality check, but perhaps as well as pointing out the downfalls, it wouldn’t hurt to mention the positives of  successful emigrating.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Purpleleaf said:

Yes I am very concerned about the TSS visa. and weighing it out at all different angles.

We haven’t yet got the Visa and in the process of possibly applying hence all my analysis and questions

I have read that the Med-long term visa grants a pathway to PR after 3-4 years is this not true? I thought that this was gaurenteed.

Im looking at other options that will lead to PR but it is getting more difficult as the months move on, especially with the points ranked so high at this present moment.

Any other advice ? 

Nothing is guaranteed in the world of immigration. Visa requirements change frequently, and skills are often removed from the list. There really is no way to be sure that you would be able to apply for PR in 34 years - or even next year. 

• Like 1

Any other advice ? 

Good luck with your journey, life has a habit of working out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Nothing is guaranteed in the world of immigration. Visa requirements change frequently, and skills are often removed from the list. There really is no way to be sure that you would be able to apply for PR in 34 years - or even next year. 

I think in 34 years they'll be to old to apply 🤣

Sorry. I know it's just a typo but I couldn't resist.

No it is certainly not guaranteed.  Employers will often promise to sponsor you for PR after 3-4 years but they are under NO legal obligation to do so, no matter what they promise All they have to do is claim circumstances have changed, and they're off the hook.   There are several other obstacles you should consider.  

One of the most important is that your occupation must still be on the list in 3-4 years time when you're ready to apply. If it's been cut (and more are being cut every year), you're going home.  Also, your employer must be willing to sponsor you, and then you're relying on them to do it properly.  Check the 186 thread to see the number of people whose employer changed their mind and wouldn't sponsor them, or stuffed up the application so it got refused. 

Finally, you might not even get to that point, if the job doesn't work out.  Remember, you've got to stick with that employer for those 3-4 years.  What if you hate the job? What if you get retrenched?  What if the business goes bust?  Your visa relies entirely on that employer and if any of those things happen, you're going home, unless you can find another employer to sponsor you.  The new 482 visa is much more demanding on the employer than the old 457 so it's hard to find employers willing to do it. 

Bottom line - if you've got a chance with a 189, 190 or 491 visa now, go for it now - don't put it off, because you never know what rule changes are on the horizon. 

Like I said, the 482 can be an adventure if you treat it as a short-term experience.  If it doesn't work out, you've lost very little because you kept your home and planned for that eventuality. If you do manage to get PR, that's a bonus. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Purpleleaf said:

189/190 sounds like a dream especially with the high scores. But I guess we will never know what the future holds  

Have you looked at the 491 visa?  It's a provisional visa which requires you to live and work in a regional area for 4 years.   You'd need to check the individual states to see which ones have your occupation on their list, and then check their requirements.

The difference between the 482 (employer-sponsored) and the 491 (state-sponsored) is this. 

• The 482 is designed to suit employers, so they can fill temporary vacancies. The government would prefer you to go home at the end.  They (grudgingly) provide a possible pathway to PR but they're making it harder every year. 
  • The 491 is a provisional visa, designed to get migrants to live in the regions where workers are really needed. The government hopes you'll feel so settled at the end, you'll want to stay in the region for good.  There isn't a guarantee things won't change, but given that expectation, there's a good chance they won't close the door.

Living in a regional area doesn't have to mean the back of beyond.  For instance, in NSW, "regional" includes Newcastle, which is a large city with great beaches and good work opportunities, right on the doorstep of the wineries.  Also mid-sized beach resorts like Port Macquarie or Coffs Harbour.  Queensland also has several large coastal towns which qualify as regional.  

Edited by Marisawright