Has anyone used Qantas?

Returnhome

What are you experinces? I was thinking of using them as they have direct flights.

However stories like today’s worries me.

This isn’t the first time I have heard of them leaving dogs out in the heat to die on the tarmac and both these dogs are snub nosed breeds.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/qantas-shame-my-poor-boy-suffered-a-terrible-death/news-story/60df72eed3ca3fdc15a33381853e64cd

Fortunately, I don’t have a snub-nosed but the lack of commonsense and care by Qantas staff makes me extremely anxious considering I have read this happening with them ages ago and they STILL have not learned from it and rather not take any responsibility. 

I think you need to keep this in proportion.  This is one case. It's very sad but it is only one case.  You say you recall another case "ages ago", but have you considered how many thousands of dogs Qantas has flown safely since then?   There may have been a lack of commonsense and care by those particular Qantas staff on that particular day, but clearly it's not the norm or we would have hundreds of such cases being reported.    

The statistics show that less than 1% of all animals die in transit and Qantas is no worse than any other airline. 

The journalist tried to dig up another example, but all they could find was a bulldog which died in transit, with no suggestion the airline mistreated that dog.  Bulldogs are high risk.  The owner admits he had no idea of the risks of flying a bulldog (even though he must have signed the waiver Qantas gave him!), so it's likely he didn't  get his vet's help to prepare the dog for the flight.  

The reality is that flying is a highly stressful experience for any dog.  Most dogs survive it, get over the ordeal and live happily ever after.  Some dogs are left with PTSD, just like a human who's gone through a trauma.  And some die. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Returnhome said:

That’s why I’d like other people’s success stories using them.

We flew our dog with Emirates and were very happy with the service. To the UK we booked via Jetpets and to Australia we booked via Petair. Both companies were very helpful and are worth contacting for initial advice, particularly around vaccination requirements prior to flying (this is a long drawn out process over a 6-7 month period for entry to Australia, followed by 10 days in quarantine). The stopover was in Dubai in both directions, which has an airconditioned pet facility, where the animals are checked over, fed, "Walked" (although I think this is just an opportunity to toilet) and left to rest for around 10 hours before flying out again next day on the next leg of the flight.

I think more issues have been experienced with internal flights in Australia than international flights, due to pets being left on the tarmac in the heat for too long. As MArissa says, this is a rarity rather than the norm.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I think more issues have been experienced with internal flights in Australia than international flights, due to pets being left on the tarmac in the heat for too long. As MArissa says, this is a rarity rather than the norm.

I think this is true. It's partly due to pets being left on the tarmac and partly because most pet owners wouldn't realise the risks on a domestic flight and probably wouldn't seek their vet's advice or engage a pet moving agency - they'd just put their dog on the plane with no special preparations.    

Edited by Marisawright

The saddest news for pet owners is that Qantas may overreact to this bad publicity by deciding to stop carrying pets (after all they can't be blamed for any pet deaths if they no longer carry them). Hopefully they merely correct their procedures to line up with what they should have been doing in the first place - but I can certainly see them taking the risk averse course.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2

On 15/01/2020 at 03:59, Returnhome said:

That’s why I’d like other people’s success stories using them.

We shipped two dogs over on the direct Heathrow - Melbourne Qantas flight in late November, arranged through Golden Arrow. One of the dogs was elderly (13 1/2) and long-haired. We had no problems with either dog. 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2020 at 01:04, MacGyver said:

The stopover was in Dubai in both directions, which has an airconditioned pet facility, where the animals are checked over, fed, "Walked" (although I think this is just an opportunity to toilet) and left to rest for around 10 hours before flying out again next day on the next leg of the flight.

That sounds like a really nice break for them since such a long flight.

On 15/01/2020 at 09:39, Ken said:

The saddest news for pet owners is that Qantas may overreact to this bad publicity by deciding to stop carrying pets (after all they can't be blamed for any pet deaths if they no longer carry them). Hopefully they merely correct their procedures to line up with what they should have been doing in the first place - but I can certainly see them taking the risk averse course.

Or hopefully they will revise the training their handlers have. 

20 hours ago, LobsterMobster said:

We shipped two dogs over on the direct Heathrow - Melbourne Qantas flight in late November, arranged through Golden Arrow. One of the dogs was elderly (13 1/2) and long-haired. We had no problems with either dog. 

20 hours ago, calNgary said:

We shipped a Bulldog cross puppy from Sydney to Brisbane with them a few years ago and pup arrived fine, no worries or complaints. 

Cal x

Thank you both for your experinces. Good to hear. 

On 15/01/2020 at 20:39, Ken said:

Qantas have announced that they will temporarily stop carrying snub-nosed dogs. That's one way to punish their victims. Well at least they haven't banned all dogs.

28 minutes ago, Green said:

Really? I have a French bulldog who I want to bring to Australia with me. Quantas was the airline mentioned in the quote. Do you know if other airlines will take that breed?

It's only Qantas that has made this announcement. They say it's temporary (and apparently it only applies to new bookings, not those that have already been made) and it's only been made in the last few hours (their website doesn't even look as if it's been updated - the news is all from the media).

1 hour ago, Ken said:

It's only Qantas that has made this announcement. They say it's temporary (and apparently it only applies to new bookings, not those that have already been made) and it's only been made in the last few hours (their website doesn't even look as if it's been updated - the news is all from the media).

Ok, thanks. I will call the shipping company on Monday and find out.